C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

AC Delco battery thoughts....

Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist
Default AC Delco battery thoughts....

I have been using AC Delco batteries in my cars for years. I bought one 2 years ago to replace one that was 12 years old in my 62 Corvette. also have the same battery in 2 other Corvettes. They are all ACD34-60 batteries.
Today I went to my local parts store (KOI-Savage) to buy another one and the parts guy tells me it has been replace by a AC Delco 34P.
So I buy it and take it home.
In comparing the new and the old battries I find this out:
CCA old 685, new 540
RC old 100, new 100
Replacement, old 60 months, new 18 months.
The new battery is also slightly smaller and of course the price was higher (I expected that).
So, my loyalty to AC Delco batteries is over and these days you don't get what you pay for.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If the last one lasted 12 years I don't think you have no room to complain
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

My intent with the posting was informational.

I bought the AC battery, but the socalled replacement is far less then the original product it replaced.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been curious to see what battery brand other Corvette owners use. I have a NAPA battery in my '37 Chevy, but usually buy a battery from Walmart for my drivers. Don't know how old the battery is in my '62 Vette, since it came with the car, so will probably buy a new one when it hits the road this spring.

Will watch your thread to see what others have to say...thanks for your contribution.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mcb55-210
I've been curious to see what battery brand other Corvette owners use. I have a NAPA battery in my '37 Chevy, but usually buy a battery from Walmart for my drivers. Don't know how old the battery is in my '62 Vette, since it came with the car, so will probably buy a new one when it hits the road this spring.

Will watch your thread to see what others have to say...thanks for your contribution.
Do a search there is only two or three manufacturers of battery's. most just buy the cheapest that offers what they want If you remove the labels no one will know what you have at car shows
Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 AM
RK-TECT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After my AC Delco 7YR battery gave up after 4 years of service, I did some research on what my next battery would be to replace it. As most know, changing a battery on a C2 is a real PITA! I decided to spend the extra money and buy an Optima Red Top battery so I didn't have to deal with maintenance, worry about acid around the engine area, and be concerned about corrosion on the battery terminals any more. Time will tell if I made the right choice, but the consensus of opinion was that this modern battery technology is the future... and the future for me is now. The cranking amps are higher than a standard battery which is obvious when I turn the key. I also took the opportunity to clean the battery tray, replace the battery shield & threaded hold-down bolts, polish the expansion tank (while it was unmounted), and replace the expansion tank fastening straps. The battery comes with a plastic adapter (lift kit) which I used since these batteries are not quite as tall as standard batteries. It is made for this purpose, works well, and can not be seen once the battery and shield is installed. The battery corners are also more rounded and the top is red (not black), so you have to keep this in mind if you want a more "original" look. The installation was pretty easy and you don't have to worry about battery acid leaking on you or your car when you twist and turn the battery into place. They also make a blue top and yellow top for different applications, but the red top was the best choice for me... and my car is red so it looks cool, too!

Good luck, Roger
Old 04-19-2013, 08:02 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 549 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I sell AC Delco batteries in my store. They changed their numbering system a couple of years ago.
You should have a group 24, not 34 in your Vette. Are you using the 34 because it is smaller?
The 34P is the lowest cost battery, replacing the 34-5yr five year battery, the 34PS is the better battery, replaces 34-6yr, six year, and the 34PG, replaces 34-7yr, seven year is the their top of the line.
What AC Delco has done is change their warranty policy.
The P series is 18 mo. free replacement, the PS is 30 month, and the PG is 42 months but after that there is no pro-rate.
So if the P series fails after 18 months you have to buy a new battery at full price.
Exide has followed suit with Delco. Interstate, which I also carry, has a simplified pro-rate still in place.
Joe
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM
1966STER
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ACD24-60 has been replaced by 24A which has 600 CCA.

The Delco 24 Pro series offer better CCA and overall quality; however, they do not have a flat top which will not allow the use of a topper.

Another good choice is the Nappa 24 batteries ----- they have better CCA then the Delco 24A and have a plain flat top; but the center to center distance of the post is slightly different then the Delco causing slight misalignment with a topper.

What ever battery you choose make sure to check it's size for fit with your tray ------------ I found a couple that will NOT fit! ------- even the Delco 24A needs to have the bottom clamp flange removed in order to fit a 66 bottom tray.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM
RK-TECT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1967STER
What ever battery you choose make sure to check it's size for fit with your tray ------------ I found a couple that will NOT fit! ------- even the Delco 24A needs to have the bottom clamp flange removed in order to fit a 66 bottom tray.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

He sold that battery to you because that's the one he had in stock.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:55 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

I'll start the argument all over once again. I have Optimas in two of my Corvettes, the '62 and the '00. ZERO problems over the years. The '62 sits for months on end and cranks right up. The '00 needs to have a charge about once a month when not being used at all, due to the drain on the computers.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I've bought a lot of batteries in the last 30 years for several reasons. Up until a couple years ago, they were ALL Wal-Mart batteries and with only one exception, they all lasted well past the warranty period, both full replacement pro-rated time periods. The WM batteries were generally 60-70% of the price of the major brand names. But, I quit buying them for one reason. They took the pro-rated warranty off and raised the battery priices.

So, a couple years ago, I started buying my batteries at Rural King. It's a farm type supply store. They sell batteries made by Exide with a good CCA rating and 60 month free replacement warranty for $50, on sale which is quite often. Regular $55.

I have 6-7 of them in service right now and no problems.

As far as the Optimas? My opinion, lot of money spent for????????? None of the sealed top Wal-Mart batteries or the Rural Kings ever leak any acid or formed corrsion in the battery compartment of any significance.

Just my opinion/experience.

Last edited by MikeM; 04-19-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Guys,
Thanks for all the input.
I called the AC Delco 800 number today and got a very poor answer from the tech guy.
He actually told me the 34P is an exact replacement for the older Delco ACD 34-60. Joe, no mention of the 24.
When I asked about specifications he said with new technology they measure they measure the CCA and RC differently.
I said amps are amps, so his answer is BS as far as I'm concerned.
I'll keep the battery and hopefully I can report back on it in 5 or 10 years.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
I sell AC Delco batteries in my store. They changed their numbering system a couple of years ago.
You should have a group 24, not 34 in your Vette. Are you using the 34 because it is smaller?
The 34P is the lowest cost battery, replacing the 34-5yr five year battery, the 34PS is the better battery, replaces 34-6yr, six year, and the 34PG, replaces 34-7yr, seven year is the their top of the line.
What AC Delco has done is change their warranty policy.
The P series is 18 mo. free replacement, the PS is 30 month, and the PG is 42 months but after that there is no pro-rate.
So if the P series fails after 18 months you have to buy a new battery at full price.
Exide has followed suit with Delco. Interstate, which I also carry, has a simplified pro-rate still in place.
Joe

Would the 34P, 34PS , and the 34PG all be the same battery with different labels and the price difference just be the cost of the warranty?

Bill
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM
frankturbo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My 63 has a Sears battery in it and I bought one of the fake tartop covers , it looks great and u can't tell
Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 549 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ohiovet
Guys,
I called the AC Delco 800 number today and got a very poor answer from the tech guy.
He actually told me the 34P is an exact replacement for the older Delco ACD 34-60. Joe, no mention of the 24.
I didn't disagree that the 34P didn't replace the 34-60. I said that your car calls for a group 24 battery.
The group 34 is smaller than the group 24.

"When I asked about specifications he said with new technology they measure they measure the CCA and RC differently.
I said amps are amps, so his answer is BS as far as I'm concerned."

They are measured differently and are two completly different specifications.

CCA is the number of amps a battery can deliver for cranking at 0 degrees for 30 seconds before the voltage drops below 7.2v's.
CA measures amps at 32 degrees, so the number will be higher. Never go by CA rating to compare batteries.

RC, reserve capacity, is how long, in minutes, a battery can provide 25 amps before the voltage will drop below 10.5v's.

Joe
Old 04-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm told there are only 2 battery manufacturers in North America....Johnson Controls, and Exide. These 2 make all the traditional lead acid batteries for all brands. I always used Delco and they would last up to 10 years, but I don't think they actually make them anymore. At least on this continent. The last one I bought for my truck was a Johnson's controls one and that was 4 or 5 years ago and still going strong. more cranking amps per dollar than the Exide dealers have.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Joe,
Thanks for the education.
Bruce B
Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 185 Posts

Add this to that list WWW.Dekabatteries.com
Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I'm told there are only 2 battery manufacturers in North America....Johnson Controls, and Exide. These 2 make all the traditional lead acid batteries for all brands. I always used Delco and they would last up to 10 years, but I don't think they actually make them anymore. At least on this continent. The last one I bought for my truck was a Johnson's controls one and that was 4 or 5 years ago and still going strong. more cranking amps per dollar than the Exide dealers have.

Last edited by Brian VH McHale; 04-20-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Delco battery thoughts....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Delco battery thoughts....