C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

lower profile battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:10 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default lower profile battery

Few weeks ago I posted a request for help w/ a VETTE buddys 1966 coupe w/ after market A/C...Battery still on Passenger side...the Negitive post is rubbing the Aluminum recovery tank(replaced tank 2 times so far) some one chimmed in and suggested the battery was to tall...where can I find a lower PROFILE battery with a shorter height dimention...Your thoghts?

Bluzrocker
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Shorter battery

The proper group 24 battery measures 11L X 6/78W X 8 3/4 H. A group 34 battery measures 10 1/4 L x 6 7/8W X 7 3/4H, so its roughly the same size but 1 inch shorter. The terminal configuration is the same. The 24 and the 34 are available with 800 cold cranking amp capacity. Any other shorter battery may not have enough cranking power.

RON
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

To clarify, I brought up the possibility that your friends Vette 'might' have the wrong series battery. Find out the Group # for the battery first and see if it's the right size. Odds are that no one typically would relocate the expansion tank bracket lower so the battery in there is possibly the wrong size. Here's a link to the series chart. http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html Personally, I like having a bit more gap between the top of the battery and the expansion tank setup so I've been using Group 34 size batteries.
Mike T.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Bluzrocker, I found the problem with your buddies '66. The battery is in backward! The posts are to be closest to the firewall, NOT the tank/fenderwell. The positive post is closest to the engine, negative post is tucked up/in the fender cavity. Positioned correctly the battery posts CANNOT hit the tank. Dennis
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Get a series 34 battery from NAPA.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

I have a Optima 75/35 Redtop and no issues with fitment.

Also note that some batteries might not accommodate the battery hold bracket. I had bought an Autozone battery that had the terminals on the correct sides, but when I tried to put the bracket on, it wouldn't fit flush with the top of the battery and I couldn't get the cables on the posts.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ron,
Tx for the comparisons...just what I needed to know and save me the agony of discovering this my self...and btw...good friend of mine ..Has been in the amature raido operator for decades..I have sat in on many a world contact competions his haldle was ...WB6 surgar Raido America and sometimes portable 6

Tx again ,,
Bluzrocker
Old 05-14-2013, 01:40 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Bluzrocker, I found the problem with your buddies '66. The battery is in backward! The posts are to be closest to the firewall, NOT the tank/fenderwell. The positive post is closest to the engine, negative post is tucked up/in the fender cavity. Positioned correctly the battery posts CANNOT hit the tank. Dennis
Much safer to have it the other way with the - next to the engine and the + tucked up under the fender out of harms way.

I had it with the + toward the engine and you always need to be careful when you put a wrench down there, especially with braided lines.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by toddalin
Much safer to have it the other way with the - next to the engine and the + tucked up under the fender out of harms way.

I had it with the + toward the engine and you always need to be careful when you put a wrench down there, especially with braided lines.

I see the posts on the dry cell battery in the pic are almost in the middle of the caseand that would cause me (and others I guess) to NOT use that battery/configuration knowing access and location issues would result. With a standard post configuration battery, putting it in backward will put the + pos post in contact with the overflow tank. So, why would you/anyone mount the battery backward? Dennis
Old 05-14-2013, 05:09 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I see the posts on the dry cell battery in the pic are almost in the middle of the caseand that would cause me (and others I guess) to NOT use that battery/configuration knowing access and location issues would result. With a standard post configuration battery, putting it in backward will put the + pos post in contact with the overflow tank. So, why would you/anyone mount the battery backward? Dennis
The post sits well below the expansion tank and the tank helps guard against stuff contacting it. Even if the post were closer to the edge, it would still be below the tank.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Use a side post battery. Much safer and completely alleviates the issues with the top terminal batteries.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by babbah
Use a side post battery. Much safer and completely alleviates the issues with the top terminal batteries.
It just may create new issues! If a person installs a battery with the correct dimensions (l/w/h) with side terminals it certainly appears that there will be little too no space between it and the heater box, making access to the terminals almost impossible.

Get notified of new replies

To lower profile battery

Quick Reply: lower profile battery