C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New in need of advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 PM
CCarhappy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now totally confused

The one you referred to in Costa Mesa is nice but now I'm looking at 98K---at that price I'd want it perfect from get go.
But what's really got my confused now is the yellow one just posted on Ebay (also a Cali car) they're asking less than 23K. I've obviously only started to understand this car's market. If you guys were looking for a used 3.2 Ferrari Mondial I could give you a "a low end, needs work driver car you can slowly restore" price and a "pristine" model price and a "walk a way from this one at any price" notion. In this arena, the variables are countless and the price seems far more subjective. Again, all this just doubtless shows my ignorance of this car. Then again, I searched for my 550 Maranello for a year before finding the right one (granted that was not a 55 year old car).
Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CCarhappy
The one you referred to in Costa Mesa is nice but now I'm looking at 98K---at that price I'd want it perfect from get go.
My apologies, my goal in linking the 98k car was only to give you a basis of understanding what the correct seats, door panels, radio, engine compartment would look like. The 98k car is a restored car (and overpriced).

But what's really got my confused now is the yellow one just posted on Ebay (also a Cali car) they're asking less than 23K.
This one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Corvette-Convertible-1958-chevrolet-corvette-convertible-/261221524827?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cd204255b&vxp=mtr
That's a scam, a "too good to be true" price.

Then again, I searched for my 550 Maranello for a year before finding the right one (granted that was not a 55 year old car).
I wanted a 550 BAD a few years back, but ended up with an 09 Aston Martin DB9 Volante instead.

Ok, let me try this:
  • A rolling project, no engine/transmission, needs lots : $20-$25k
  • Driver quality car with lots of miles : $35-$45k
  • Top level restored car with matching numbers and documentation (and NCRS or Bloomington awards) : $90k - $150k depending on engine

Those are rough ranges, but should help you get a sense.

I think the Austin car is a $35k car myself.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 05-26-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 PM
CCarhappy
Cruising

Default Thank you 62Jeff

That was very helpful. And absolutely no need for apology I knew what you were doing with the Costa Mesa car just couched my response incorrectly.
If you ever get back to thinking about the 550 get one - IMO they're the best modern day Ferrari out there, you get old school shifter, enough power to scare you, a bullet proof engine and relatively low cost of ownership for a Ferrari. Couple that with understated looks reminisant of a vintage 275GTB and what else could you want. I got mine because a world renowned old school Ferrari mechanic recommended I spend more than I intended (my intent was to buy a 355) an get in his opinion a great Ferrari--sure glad I took his advice.
After reading all the posts I feel like I need to find such a guy in the Corvette world that can see the car.
I learned a long time ago how invaluable the Ferrari forum could be and now I see the members here are also willing to help. Perhaps one day I can be as helpful to you guys.
If I could impose for two more questions
1) are there any dealers you recommend
2) do you know of a "Corvette expert" in Texas I might consult with when I'm ready to pull the trigger on a car?
Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM
CCarhappy
Cruising

Default By the way 62Jeff

I realize this is a Corvette forum but since you brought it up - how is the Aston? This is yet another iconic marque I'd like to own one day. Who couldn't love their artful merging of understated elegance, raw power and history.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife went ape over this 1958 we saw at a recent show. Some kind of beautiful...and the car ain't bad either
Attached Images    
Old 05-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,940 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Texas is a big state so location would help. A corvette dealer is no different then any used car lot in your local town. Only what they sell is different. The best cars get sold word of mouth So join a local corvette club and network. Go to events and ask around. I would start off with NCRS you will learn more from them then any other club.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I learned a long time ago how invaluable the Ferrari forum could be...
Yes Ferrari-chat was a mainstay of my evenings while I was pondering the 550.

2) do you know of a "Corvette expert" in Texas I might consult with when I'm ready to pull the trigger on a car?
1) I don't have personal experience with any dealers, but I would caution you against limiting your search to Texas only, although we do live in an awesome collector car-friendly state.

2) My best recommendation would be to solicit the forum for someone to look at a car for you, once you find a car you are interested in.

One huge detail that I don't recall reading about in this thread is this: Have you ever sat in, driven, or ridden in an early corvette? Are you a tall person, a big person, both?

The early corvettes (through 62) use a chassis and suspension based on a late 1940s GM product, so they don't feel very modern. The 63-67 corvettes have significant suspension improvements and as an owner of a 62, and 65, I can tell you my 65 is light-years more comfortable to drive than my 62. Both cars have radial tires on them.

The 68-82 corvettes have the same chassis and suspension design as the 63-67, although spring rates and in later years the rear spring design changed.

I'm about 6'2" tall, most of it in my legs, and when I shift gears in my 62 my left knee gets caught between the steering wheel and the door panel as I release the clutch. I have a similar, but not as severe, challenge in my 65 when shifting.

Getting into my 62 (which has more room than in a 58 due to seat design) goes like this:
  1. Open door
  2. Stick right leg in as far as it goes
  3. Sit on edge of seat
  4. Sneak right leg over to the right, threading it between the bottom of the steering wheel and the top of the lower seat cushion
  5. Grab my left leg and pull it into the car, working my left foot around the door jamb and into the car
  6. Shuffle around to center myself
  7. Close the door

Sounds awesome, doesn't it?

As for the Aston, I'll send you a PM tomorrow.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 05-28-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I see myself as a buyer/keeper maybe seller in 5-10 years
Then remember in Texas you'll pay 6%+ sales tax on the purchase price, which increases your "all-in" price.

2) saw it as a possible good start for a long term restore (little at a time).
When you say "restore", do you mean "I enjoy tinkering and making it nicer" or "I'd like to some day show the car in a corvette certification venue after having spend tens of thousands of dollars bringing the car back to exactly the same configuration - down the the last nut and bolt - it was in when it was produced"?

If the former, this car has room to tinker and be improved. If the latter, plan on (in my opinion) $40k-$60k in restoration costs on this black 58, and that's if you get the body stripped and painted for under $10k. If you are handy with a paint gun and sanding block, you can save a lot - but the car needs everything to be refinished and many parts - including the engine, to be replaced if it were to be restored to an authentic condition.

Allow me to do an experiment. This is my 65 on the day I brought it home, Feb of 2006

And this is the car 5 months and $10,000 later

See any difference? Other than the tires, most of the money was spent on things you can't see unless you look close - new wiring, rebuilt instruments and radio, new radiator, rebuilt carb/alternator/starter/fuel pump/AC system, numerous things under and behind the dash board.

So the $$ adds up quickly.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 05-28-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 AM
CCarhappy
Cruising

Default Again awesome suggestions

Frankly, for the last decade if I ever thought vette it took the form of a 64 or 65. I 'd only seen 58s in pictures or movies so when I saw that 58 in Austin in black I had a "quick infatuation" now I realize if I 'm serious I've got to do the kind of research I did when I went looking for a Ferrari (a multi-state year long search).
I also loved your point about the driving experience between a 58 and 65 or even 62 to 64. My wife has an 88 Mondial and it is a totally different driving experience from my 550 and neither has the creature comforts of her SL. I once asked my Ferrari mechanic what the drive was like on an America he had in his shop--he said it reminded him of a 1940s bread truck. I almost bought a 330GTC but realized I couldn't enjoy the driving position. I'm 5'8" but it really didn't feel right. So test driving a few will be real necessary. It could be I have to go back to thinking 64-65 when I think vette. I mean no offense to anyone here but later than 65 just don 't appeal to me---I'm sure they're great cars just don't move me.

As to the other big area you spoke to: if I got a 58 I'd like to get it to a safe driver condition that at least on the exterior looked semi correct. Not really looking to win a concourse event.

I can't tell you how spot on helpful your comments have been.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
This one?
Chevrolet : Corvette Convertible in Chevrolet | eBay Motors

That's a scam, a "too good to be true" price.
An FYI, that listing is now gone, proof it was a scam. Further proof - a similar "I'll let it go for $26,500" scam is being listed for this 66 under a different userid (but surely the same scammer given the identical wording) here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/130916226478
Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 AM
CCarhappy
Cruising

Default Color me the innocent

Wow, I thought eBay had protections for stuff like that--you're right very similar language. The only time I've bought over the net was my 850i and I flew to Chicago to see it before buying. I guess I'll have to keep a "you can't see it , you don 't buy it rule".
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Wow, I thought eBay had protections for stuff like that--you're right very similar language. The only time I've bought over the net was my 850i and I flew to Chicago to see it before buying. I guess I'll have to keep a "you can't see it , you don 't buy it rule".
I went through my Ferrari "experience" mostly in the early to mid-70's, with a few later on:

'68 330GTC #11261 (purchased in Turin)
'61 250SWB #3005GT
'63 250GT/L
'67 275GTB/4
'73 365GTS/4 #17057 (watched them build it)
'73 246GTS (C&F)
'85 308GTS/QV

Now if only I had kept the 12-cylinder cars, I could have retired 20 years earlier...
Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I went through my Ferrari "experience" mostly in the early to mid-70's, with a few later on:

'68 330GTC #11261 (purchased in Turin)
'61 250SWB #3005GT
'63 250GT/L
'67 275GTB/4
'73 365GTS/4 #17057 (watched them build it)
'73 246GTS (C&F)
'85 308GTS/QV

Now if only I had kept the 12-cylinder cars, I could have retired 20 years earlier...
Wow - those are some memberable cars - especially the 68 330GTC and the 67 275GTB/4 seem to rise from my memory as really desirable and beautiful Ferraris - although my knowledge of Ferrari nomenclature may be a litte rusty and I may be confusing some models.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM
TheGanzman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice - Drive SEVERAL 1958-1962's; as many as you can w/in driving distance from you. My experience w/Corvettes (I'm on my 5th) is that they drive SO differently one from the next, even w/in the same model year(s). Also, a C1 is most certainly "not for ever'body". They are truly a "primitive" automobile in MOST regards, in little and big ways. Some of the "little ways" that they're primitive you might not even notice/think about initially, but they'll come back to annoy you "cumulatively": The accelerator pedal can become kinda "wonky"; there will likely be strong gasoline/exhaust smells while you're driving that will make your hair and clothes stink after you get out (so much so that maybe your wife won't EVER want to ride in your Corvette); you will CONSTANTLY be "tinkering" to adjust brakes, carburetor, and every OTHER damned thing; the softops and even the hardtops don't really "fit" that well on these cars, so road drafts/noise are "de rigeur", and let's not even TALK about getting caught in a rainstorm; fit & finish on the average C1 leaves a LOT to be desired...

Your "situation" reminds me of myself as a young man. I had the hots SO bad for a '55-'57 Thunderbird - then I actually DROVE one; biggest POS I had EVER driven! What a letdown! As a man who is used to a fairly late-model Ferrari, I would URGE you to drive one of these "farm implements" before you get your undies too much in a bunch over owning one; not to discourage you, but the delta between what you THINK they are and what they ACTUALLY are might end up surprising you...
Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I realize this is a Corvette forum but since you brought it up - how is the Aston? This is yet another iconic marque I'd like to own one day. Who couldn't love their artful merging of understated elegance, raw power and history.
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
As for the Aston, I'll send you a PM tomorrow.
PMs sent.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 PM
CCarhappy
Cruising

That was intense. Sounds like your speaking from real experience I appreciate your candor. It reminded me of my Ferrari mechanic referring to a vintage early 60 's Ferrari as driving "like an old bread truck ". Told me another cute comment when I asked him if I should wait on the 98 550 and save for a Daytona. He said "depends how you want go drive the cars, in a 550 100mph will seems like nothing in a Daytona it will be white-knuckle time plus after an hour in the Daytona you'll think you just left the gym and you need a nap in the 550 you'll be ready for four more hours of driving".
Think you're absolutely right: better drive before I proceed. Probably like other things we as men get enamored with -- living with them is a whole other thing.
The oldest car I own is an 86 Mercedes SL - at that vintage I still like the "old school" feel. The 58 would be going back another two decades.
Again sincere thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Personal Fit

Last edited by Stingxray; 07-04-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New in need of advise

Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Stingxray
I love these cars so don't take offense.... but If I might add a word of caution. Sit in and test drive a C1 before you commit. If your a larger person.... or over 6 ft tall .... its not a deal breaker , but personally I decided I could never own one. On a friends 62 ... My Knee hit the door jam every time I got in (bruise). The head room with the top on is tight , with the top off , My head is above the wind shield. Finally the big steering wheel wouldn't allow my knee to let the clutch out all the way with out contortion. Love the car's but weren't built for ANY COMFORT FOR tall or larger persons.
Good advice. When I went looking for my first Corvette, I was set on getting a C1. However, after trying them both on for size, I switched my search to a C2. Here are pictures of me sitting in a C1 and a C2. Notice how high up my body is in the C1 and where my head is in relation to the windshield:

I've heard it said on this forum that you sit "on" a C1 and you sit "in" a C2. C1's will always have a special place in my heart and that's what I'd have if I was comfortable in it. But if I'm going to drive a car, it has to be a C2 for me.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I got mine because a world renowned old school Ferrari mechanic recommended I spend more than I intended (my intent was to buy a 355) an get in his opinion a great Ferrari--sure glad I took his advice.
After reading all the posts I feel like I need to find such a guy in the Corvette world that can see the car.
I learned a long time ago how invaluable the Ferrari forum could be and now I see the members here are also willing to help. Perhaps one day I can be as helpful to you guys.
Some thoughts:

1. All dealers are pretty much the same. I don't know if I'd trust one more than another. Yes, I know there are people who have had good luck with dealers. But many more have had bad luck.
2. Your local NCRS chapter probably has somebody who can do this for you.

The value of these cars is high and is very dependent on how original they still are. This combination leads to extensive counterfeiting. Caveat emptor.

Your old school Ferrari mechanic's advice is good with these Corvettes too. Buy the best one you can afford, and get a PPI to make sure you get what you are paying for.

C1s are not comfortable driving cars. Try one out for size first. But their cool factor is off the charts. The general public loves these cars. You'll get many thumbs up when you drive down the street. But you won't want to drive them more than 1-2 hours from home.

The rivets on the VIN tag make me wary. They were originally affixed by Chevrolet with phillips head screws. Which means somebody was fooling around with that tag. Could be innocent enough. But it deserves more investigation. Does the car come with a title? That VIN is also stamped in a secret place on the frame - on the top of the driver's side frame rail about where it goes under the seat. May be hard to see. You'll have to get creative with cleaning that area of the frame rail; wedges to push the floor up; chalk on that area of the frame rail; mirrors; and, lighting from different angles. If you don't do this, the cops might when you go to register the car.

You going to drive around a dark car with a dark interior with no air conditioning in Texas?

I don't mean to discourage you. Many people who consider themselves "car guys" love these cars. But it's irrational. You probably knew that already, though.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 AM
CCarhappy
Cruising

Default Thanks to all the reality check folks

I really appreciate the candor. I did know the irrational part but you all brought up aspects of "the irrational" I hadn 't completely appreciated. I'm 5'8" so size shouldn't be a problem but the black car no ac Texas combo is important to consider. That's why I need to drive or play passenger in a few---could be I go back to thinking about 64-65 like I had before I saw that black 58.
Also greatly appreciated the vin plate comments.

Quick Reply: New in need of advise