C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best way to track your car if stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Best way to track your car if stolen?

I would like a GPS device that I can hide in my car so I can see where it is if stolen. Battery powered, notify me if the car moves and able to be hidden and still work, which might work better with a fiberglass car.
Any suggestions?
LP
Old 05-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,937 Likes on 4,779 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

By the time someone finds it you won't want it It's too easy to part out before the cops will be called
Old 05-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about a Lojak? It only gets picked up by the Police but I had my truck recovered in about 30 min after I reported it missing from my son's baseball game in 1989. Nothing had been removed from it and I got to take it home after it was dusted for fingerprints and reports were signed.
I think the whole thing cost about $350 but don't know if they still make them or something like it.
I know that the Lojak service wasn't available everywhere and that could be a problem in rural areas.

Last edited by Rokndad; 05-25-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:44 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
By the time someone finds it you won't want it It's too easy to part out before the cops will be called
I agree. Just insure it with an agreed value policy and don't worry about it.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

https://www.lojack.com/Buy-LoJack-Pr...Check-Coverage

Check on the above webpage to determine coverage.

Current cost appears to be $695 (plus upgrades).

https://www.lojack.com/Products/Stol...ect-&radius=10

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 05-25-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I am interested in tracking it so they can't part it out before I find it.
GPS Devices advertized on the internet claim to be able to notify you if the car is moved and can track exact location. I know the technology exists. Seems like if you are notified as soon as it is moved and know exact location it would make it a little difficult to part out before you
find it. Fleet companies use it and I have seen apps on cell phones that track other cell phones. Any recommendations on what others are using?

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/ca...ing+devices.do
is one of the sites with these devices.
LP

Last edited by Larry P; 05-25-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

That is some great advice to the OP, who might actually want his car back. I guess that to most of you, your corvette is just an investment or a passing thing, like your daily driver. To some of us, the cars are irreplaceable.

Be it a family owned piece of history, or something you labored over for many thousands of hours to get it the way you want. My cars are unique and are not replaceable. Why not ask Donny, 427Hotrod or others that have put hundreds or thousands of hours into their cars?? Would another similar year corvette replace it??? I do not think so.

For those of you see your car as an easily replaceable as an insurance pay off, why not just put your money into the stock market.

BTW, Lojack only works in urban areas , if the local police want to sign in for it.

To the OP, PM me for the facts on GPS tracking.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
https://www.lojack.com/Buy-LoJack-Pr...Check-Coverage

Check on the above webpage to determine coverage.

Current cost appears to be $695 (plus upgrades).

https://www.lojack.com/Products/Stol...ect-&radius=10

Plasticman
The big problem with systems like Lowjack, is that the locating signal that they send can be easily blocked by a readily available low priced pocket jammer.
I was forced to install a higher end $695 one by my insurer in my C6 GS vert, but as a police friend told me, the crooks just block the signal with a jammer until they get the car into an underground garage or container, then they just find the transmitter and rip it out.

Paul

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 05-26-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 AM
SS409
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry P
I am interested in tracking it so they can't part it out before I find it.
GPS Devices advertized on the internet claim to be able to notify you if the car is moved and can track exact location. I know the technology exists. Seems like if you are notified as soon as it is moved and know exact location it would make it a little difficult to part out before you
find it. Fleet companies use it and I have seen apps on cell phones that track other cell phones. Any recommendations on what others are using?

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/ca...ing+devices.do
is one of the sites with these devices.
LP

Sounds good. The units are fairly inexpensive starting at 170.00. BUT, the 30.00 service every month is to much for me. My buddy just put a lojack on his 62 Impala 409 for 375.00. He used some special coupon he received in the mail. Normally they want 800.00.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by vetrod62
That is some great advice to the OP, who might actually want his car back. I guess that to most of you, your corvette is just an investment or a passing thing, like your daily driver. To some of us, the cars are irreplaceable.

Be it a family owned piece of history, or something you labored over for many thousands of hours to get it the way you want. My cars are unique and are not replaceable. Why not ask Donny, 427Hotrod or others that have put hundreds or thousands of hours into their cars?? Would another similar year corvette replace it??? I do not think so.

For those of you see your car as an easily replaceable as an insurance pay off, why not just put your money into the stock market.

BTW, Lojack only works in urban areas , if the local police want to sign in for it.

I've had mine over 36 years. Another similar car wouldn't be the same.

I had a Harley stolen once. When I opened that garage door and it was gone, I got weak in the knees and dropped to the ground, shaking all over. After a few minutes to calm down, the "mad" took over and I was ready to kill someone.

It turned out my brother had taken it, ripped the rear gear out of the hub, and was desperate to get it fixed in a motorcycle shop before I got back and checked the garage. If I hadn't checked until the next day, he'd have gotten away with it.

But I can tell you, the idea of an insurance check in no way prevented me from feeling a huge hole ripped right through from the thought that my vehicle had been taken.

I think the trick would be a phone you can remotely activate and access the GPS on. Then there is no signal until you activate it, so the thieves wouldn't be able to detect a transmitter in the beginning.

Of course, locating it could be a bit tricky. It could be anyone from some joyriding punk you could slap silly to a well-organized group you wouldn't want to tangle with.

From what I have heard, LoJack has limitations, mainly urban areas only and only if the local police sign up for the program. That leaves a lot of places one could disappear and LoJack would not do anything for you.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I hear 'ya. Didn't mean to sound insensitive. I think all of us would rather walk out to the garage and see our car, not an insurance check replacement car. It's just such a challenge to totally protect a car from theft. Excellent insurance coverage is a good "plan B" and will help lessen the pain if the worst happens.

When I was a kid, I remember talking to my dad about getting a lock to protect something of mine (I think it was my bike). He said, "Son, a lock will only keep the honest people from taking your stuff. A true crook will get it if he wants it."

-- Steve

Last edited by RatDog; 05-26-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,937 Likes on 4,779 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Steve I was told the same thing as a kid. And it's true these old cars are very easy to steal. I think about all the time when I take it out. Two foot of wire with alligator clips and a screw driver and your off. If a thief wants it we will find a way Lets face it there are not to many hiding spots in a old car to put a box in. I love my car as much as the next guy but sometimes you have to realize what the world we live in today is. And also they been stealing mid years and parting them out since they were new
Old 05-26-2013, 12:59 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

A great insurance policy
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry P
I would like a GPS device that I can hide in my car so I can see where it is if stolen. Battery powered, notify me if the car moves and able to be hidden and still work, which might work better with a fiberglass car.
Any suggestions?
LP
They do make GPS tracker units with perimeter notification. I don't know the brand, but my in laws car lot uses them. The ones they use now are about twice the length of a USB storage device and not much bigger around. They hide very easily... They, like anything else, can be defeated. A quick, open the hood and disconnect the battery will defeat them..

So if I owned one I would hide it very well, with a small back up battery attached to it.. powered (recharged) by maybe the antenna power. I would then also have another unit located where it could be easily found, hopefully fooling the thief into making a mistake.

But in the end, If they want it bad enough they will get it.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default GPS tracker

I have a GPS tracker in my NSX. It is a Viper alarm with an intergrated GPS tracker. If the car is moved outside of its zone and the alarm is not tripped, I get a phone call and an email. If the alarm goes off, I get a phone call usually within 20 seconds. Last week we had some heavy weather and the alarm was tripped three times in 15 minutes, got three calls. I can go online at any time and track the car real time. I can shut the car off with a phone call. I get calls if the main battery in the car is low. Once a month I get a call to let me know everything is OK. It costs about $3 per month. Jerry
Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

and gets these suggestions every time
I completely agree and always do whenever someone posts a similar question as was thinking exactly the same again as I came upon your post. That was not the question the OP asked. We all have insurance. I usually do as others suggest and just ignore the irrelevant answers.
Insurance does you a f of a lot of good if you are away on a road trip or going to miss the year of riding/driving. I just want my car back and to have a chance to "touch base" with the thieves. If there is some kinda newer technology GPS deal that works to keep up to date with I'm all ears. As I am sure that the OP was looking for when he took the time to ask.

Last edited by 00fxd; 05-29-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If my car gets stolen, I just have to follow the trail of oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to track your car if stolen?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 PM
EddieG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I have a GPS tracker in my NSX. It is a Viper alarm with an intergrated GPS tracker. If the car is moved outside of its zone and the alarm is not tripped, I get a phone call and an email. If the alarm goes off, I get a phone call usually within 20 seconds. Last week we had some heavy weather and the alarm was tripped three times in 15 minutes, got three calls. I can go online at any time and track the car real time. I can shut the car off with a phone call. I get calls if the main battery in the car is low. Once a month I get a call to let me know everything is OK. It costs about $3 per month. Jerry
Jerry, I am interested in this system you mentioned. How would Viper alarm system work in a C2. My 65/396 Vert is at a restoration shop near you ( Largo) and I have been thinking about security when I finally take delivery in about a month.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Gps

Eddie: Your car must be at Vern's in Largo?? If it is, he does nice work and has been at it for a long time. As far as the alarm, my Viper alarm was installed about 4 years ago and the make and model are most likely not made anymore. I would check with Viper and the other companies to find an alarm that has the capacity to be connected to a GPS tracker. I use Mobile IQ for the GPS portion of the alarm. Make sure you get a battery backup. They can be reached at 888-606-6444 or 905-831-6444. If you need any additional information, please PM me. Jerry
Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

oved and can track exact location. I know the technology exists. Seems like if you are notified as soon as it is moved a
\

Its out there and you can be notified the minute it happens. Many companies offer this just read the fine print of their contract.

Quick Reply: Best way to track your car if stolen?