C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Krylon 1613 original 5 ball

Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Not if it says "Industrial" on it - the "Industrial" product is definitely lacquer; the one that doesn't say "Industrial" is enamel.
Originally Posted by 1snake
The Krylon in the link I posted above is DEFINITELY the correct lacquer from years gone by.

Jim

I was unclear. Krylon still sells the industrial 5 ball, which is lacquer. They also sell a 5 ball which is enamel. Those that see the 5 ball logo and don't know better may be expecting lacquer when they buy this, and some others:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintd...oor-paint.aspx

as stated, it must say "Industrial" on the can, with the 5 ball logo, in order to be lacquer.

Yes, Krylon also sells a line of lacquer spray paint as well, but this is not the old, familiar stuff that we all have the best results with.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:01 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well good info to know. Thanks guys!
Bruce
Old 05-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Can you use Krylon 1613 over polyurethane paint

I just finished painting my engine compartment with a epoxy primer followed by a singe stage polyurethane "semi-flat" black. Despite two attempts to get the proper sheen using flattener, I am disappointed in the results (too much gloss).

After reading the posts on Krylon 1613, I am thinking this is the way to go.

Questions: 1. Can Krylon be applied directly over a newly painted PU coat? Other than sanding, is there any surface prep you recommend?
2. How uniform can the finish be using a rattle can, particularly when painting the entire engine bay?

Thanks for your help!

A new member
Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I'm currently using 1613 "5 ball" on some parts including brake pedal assembly and conv. top frame. I tried applying it directly to the bare metal that was sandblasted, but the paint has very little "filling" capability. However, over a primed surface, it looks extremely uniform and would have no hesitation using it on a larger surfaces like the engine compartment. I can't comment on the application over a new coat of PU. Maybe call Krylon and ask their Tech. Dept. 800-251-2486
Old 05-09-2014, 10:56 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktholin
I just finished painting my engine compartment with a epoxy primer followed by a singe stage polyurethane "semi-flat" black. Despite two attempts to get the proper sheen using flattener, I am disappointed in the results (too much gloss).

After reading the posts on Krylon 1613, I am thinking this is the way to go.

Questions: 1. Can Krylon be applied directly over a newly painted PU coat? Other than sanding, is there any surface prep you recommend?
2. How uniform can the finish be using a rattle can, particularly when painting the entire engine bay?

Thanks for your help!

A new member
I would not try to use it to paint an entire engine bay for a professional result. You will get dry areas and overspray on other areas. If I had access to a spray gun I would go to a PPG dealer and buy a quart of semi-flattened black lacquer. If you decide to use in on something like an engine bay, mask it off into manageable areas like each wheelwell and the upper firewall and lower firewall. If you mask at panel bonding joints and back tape the edges you can concentrate on applying the paint to a manageable area smoothly and once un-masked it should look fine.

One thing I remember about Krylon 1613 is that a light dust coat and then a single medium coat gives a nice semi-flat finish. If you apply a second medium coat after the first flashes off - it will be a little glossier - more semi-gloss. So depending on the amount of gloss you are looking for you can work it that way.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 05-09-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your response. I am thinking that because it is a semi flat, it may be easier to lay down a more uniform appearing coat.

I do have a compressor and gun. The paint store did not get the proper sheen despite two separate trips. One issue may be that they sell a generic brand paint. Perhaps I should locate a PPG dealer who might be able to provide a better product. I'm just disappointed after spending weeks prepping and sanding to get such a disappointing result. Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:56 PM
66softtop
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I know this is a real late post but wanted to pipe in. I just bought this stuff at O'Riley's Auto Parts yesterday.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:35 PM
IMSA GTO
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year-Modified

I buy mine from Travers Tool. $5.29 per can in 6+ quantity order.

http://www.travers.com/101214-81-010...rSearch=krylon 1613
Old 05-10-2014, 06:55 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Has anyone painted a complete frame using rattle cans? I bought 5 cans thinking it would be handy for all the minor pieces along the way, but now I am wondering if it could make sense to paint my entire frame rather than go out and buy a spray gun. I do have a good compressor already available.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:43 PM
66softtop
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
Has anyone painted a complete frame using rattle cans? I bought 5 cans thinking it would be handy for all the minor pieces along the way, but now I am wondering if it could make sense to paint my entire frame rather than go out and buy a spray gun. I do have a good compressor already available.
I'm in the process of doing mine. Started while the wheels were off to rebuild calipers. Then decided to climb under further. Very easy job. I'm priming first then finish coat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Krylon 1613 original 5 ball