C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

FANTOM Works on Velocity channel 63 vert

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 AM
JS786366
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou64
Reality shows all have writers. They just pay the people on the show half what they'd pay an actor and the producer creates the drama with fake a$$ situations to stir it up.

With tha said that hardtop is SWEET. I switched over to it mid-show, and I thought it WAS a SWC for like 10 minutes.
Hey Guys,
I was reading some of the posts. I am the guy who owns the 63. I really think the show came out terrible I don't think I could watch again. If my car was not on there I would changed the channel. The hard top is cool but guess what it was included in my price he wanted 70k total to include the top. He just wanted it on the show to sell those tops. I do feel pretty ripped off and misled. I will give him a brake on the engine because there was not enough time to fix back to original so I am having the matching number motor redone and put back in the car. The 350 is going in another one of my cars. The car since the show has has nothing but issues. It's in another shop getting repaired. In the beginning I asked them for help but they wanted me to keep paying to repair thing I believed were the shops fault. I understood it was rushed but when you don't tighten bolts etc i think u need to man up and stand behind your work.
At least people can see how that shop operates on TV. They lost my business forever and probably a lot more than me.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by JS786366
Hey Guys,
I was reading some of the posts. I am the guy who owns the 63. I really think the show came out terrible I don't think I could watch again. If my car was not on there I would changed the channel. The hard top is cool but guess what it was included in my price he wanted 70k total to include the top. He just wanted it on the show to sell those tops. I do feel pretty ripped off and misled. I will give him a brake on the engine because there was not enough time to fix back to original so I am having the matching number motor redone and put back in the car. The 350 is going in another one of my cars. The car since the show has has nothing but issues. It's in another shop getting repaired. In the beginning I asked them for help but they wanted me to keep paying to repair thing I believed were the shops fault. I understood it was rushed but when you don't tighten bolts etc i think u need to man up and stand behind your work.
At least people can see how that shop operates on TV. They lost my business forever and probably a lot more than me.
Holy Smokes - I was wondering if the shop owner or the car owner might show up on here. Well - lesson learned; I got ripped off for some work on my '61 Corvette by an avowed 'top notch' vette shop near Tampa when I first got my car and didn't know anything and I'm sure others have had similar experiences.

Hey - you got your frame straightened, a bitchin' SWC hardtop and can still get the original motor back in the car. You're out some money but that's life. If your headlights give you any more troubles there is a killer aftermarket kit now in the range of $500 or so that fixes it for good (by Detroit Speed IIRC) and is a simple bolt in device...other C2 owners here can provide add'l info if you need it.

Drive on

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-03-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 AM
JS786366
7th Gear

Hey Guys,
Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default 63

First off, congrats on getting married. Your wife looked beautiful! You, not so much. I am not buying that the shop did not have time to rebuild the engine. Any decent auto machine shop can rebuild a standard small block in as few as two weeks. I am glad you are having the engine rebuilt and put back home in the 63. Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information from a number of "forum mechanics" who reside here. The information here is second to none. Keep posting as to your progress with the rebuild Jerry
Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM
DandyDon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The vette owner had just bought it - so figure $28K-$32K for the initial purchase then a half-@ss $62K restoration and the guy is into the car for like $90K+. He's so far underwater now with an NOM '63 convertible that he needs scuba gear...even with the sexy SWC fake hardtop. It's all fake and so who knows what the real numbers are so it doesn't matter anyway I guess.

I think I'll watch TurtleMan instead...
Too funny---

Every one of these "Cable Car Shows" is the same---hurry--hurry--times is up! Owner's on the way--- total BS.

A buddy works at Summit Racing and they "fund" lots of these phony builds at the direction of the parts manufacturers looking for TV publicity.

Orders are shipped months in advance and the build times are very long---

I loved last nights' show where the guy drove his dad's newly restored 31 Ford out into a blizzard----great idea! Probably spun out at the first stop sign.

Loved Frankie's comments--lets "combine" cable shows and have the Turtleman join forces with Dog the Bounty Hunter to restore a custom "varmit - bail jumper" mobile--

DandyDon
Old 07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey Guys,
Correct me if I'm wrong but I understood that they used a rebuilt 350 not a new crate engine. They mention a "local re-builder" and he used the wrong pan gasket.
The show depicts the suspension was refurbished/replaced but they did not pull the body? Did they just paint the underbody and chassis in place? If all the rubber suspension, as mentioned, was dried and cracked, one would guess the body mount rubber would be the same. Did they not replace those?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:37 AM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Usafstingray
The whole resto broke my heart. Who in their right mind tosses a 327 matching for a crate motor? I hope the guy got his original engine back. I especially hated the intro...prior USN pilot, wants his guys to have military discipline. Crap drama. The customer gave him a $50k budget. The guy blew it by 20%! I'd never pay him the overrun. Idiot customer or just drama? Deadlines...drama. Just show me the cars and the work and stop with all the bull crap drama velocity! Reality has ceased to be reality on these shows.
:i agree: That's one reason I don't like/watch most reality shows. It's all about the drama and deadlines,etc. Nothing's real. When they start making them real (or close to real) I'll start watching.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:03 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Jerry (JS),
Glad you came online and posted, that show really made you look retarded! You're definitely more squared away with the right mentality about the car than any viewer would have been lead to believe. They made you out like the sucker that falls for a car that has just been painted "RESALE RED"!

In retrospect, I guess the show's mission was accomplished. People are talking about it, good or bad, it's publicity and it will get more viewers. And all the wrong people will get all the money.

Hope you make good use of your new membership here, cash in on the wealth of knowledge and keep us posted on your progress.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey Guys,
First and foremost, congrats on your marriage, and I am glad you have a nice ride before kids come. I have 4 and tinker on my 67 now and then (but never enough). The SWC top looks cool as hell. People are blowing their money all over the place at Barrett Jackson so you all in at $90K whatever. I would just ask the guy from Phantom for your old motor back and keep it in your garage just in case. If he says no, tell him to find it or you will write to the producer of the Discovery network or whatever show it was one. You could of spent $90K on a FOrd, at least its a Vette
Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
JS786366
7th Gear

Originally Posted by A-Snake
Correct me if I'm wrong but I understood that they used a rebuilt 350 not a new crate engine. They mention a "local re-builder" and he used the wrong pan gasket.
The show depicts the suspension was refurbished/replaced but they did not pull the body? Did they just paint the underbody and chassis in place? If all the rubber suspension, as mentioned, was dried and cracked, one would guess the body mount rubber would be the same. Did they not replace those?
To Answer a few questions.
List of items:
Rebuilt 350
Paint
Body repair rear and frame
Replaced all bushing underneath
Disc Brakes
Power Steering
Sprayed underneath with removable coating Fram not removed
New tires
Side Pipes
Rims
NO SWC TOP
NO Interior work

Car sat since 85 in a friends garage until I bought it and took it to Fantom. I learned a lot. All the worries go away when it is running and I am flying down the road. My next one will be a true SWC.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Sprayed underneath with removable coating Fram not removed
I wonder what they describe as "removable" coating?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 PM
dserge
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Is this shop the largest in the country? He claims it is but I never heard of it. Where is it located?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by dserge
Is this shop the largest in the country? He claims it is but I never heard of it. Where is it located?
Norfolk, VA Link
Old 07-05-2013, 01:07 PM
JS786366
7th Gear

It is a tar based. He said I could chip it off if I ever wanted to expose fiberglass underneath. I think they are going off of square footage not number of cars but I am not sure. I do want to say all the guys who worked on my car did awesome. The problem I had was with the bill. The job was rushed so I expected some hiccups. The shop should have backed up any problems. The guys working on my car busted there a.. es to complete. No disrespect at all to those guys.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Hey Frankie, I agree with you, but I am only a forum mechanic. Jerry
HAHA! Forum mechanics are the worst! You can get nothing out of a forum!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:19 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Hey Guys,
WOW! Sorry to hear about that... Now, for the forum part this is the right place to get real information. There are plenty of people here willing to help out. You can always ask anyone questions before you statrt on any major projects. Sorry again... BTW, my wife and I are still married even with the corvette restoration. She wanted to kill me sometimes but never gave me an ultimatium (her or the car).

The other thing is if you are looking for another SWC. You can always post pictures. These guys are really sharp on cars which have been altered in small ways. I am sure they will pick apart everything for you...

Last edited by jimh_1962; 07-05-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:09 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by A-Snake
I wonder what they describe as "removable" coating?
'
I read it as "Frame not removed", meaning "Body stayed on"?

Get notified of new replies

To FANTOM Works on Velocity channel 63 vert

Old 07-07-2013, 05:47 PM
63 SWC Builder
1st Gear

I am the builder of the 63 Corvette in this post. Up until I heard about these comments I had no idea there was a problem as I’ve received positive feedback from the owner. The owner is always welcome to bring the car in at his convenience; we always stand behind our work. As far as problems; the car was brought back after delivery for a leaking intake gasket which was replaced and the shifter (that we never built originally) failed later on and we rebuilt that and not a penny was paid for ether repair. The Vette never came back for any other repairs. We built the car to the best of our abilities and as with all of our builds, want only the best for the owner. I don’t claim to have a perfect shop and 8 weeks to do a complete build of a previously wrecked 50 year old Vette is a very very fast turnaround and it’s genuinely not the way we operate but we did it at the owner’s request. We dealt with a bent frame only 2 days before the wedding and we never got to fully test drive the car due to the schedule. As far as the build, several details were “left out” of the description of the work we had to do.
Motor/Drivetrain: Replaced 220HP motor because heads were cracked on the low perf motor. Request was for a bigger stronger motor. The engine castings were given back to owner. The 350 build was completed with the following: 2.02/1.60 Heads on a magnafluxed GM core that was tanked, bored, with new internals including pistons, valves, cam, springs, locks, keepers, hardened exhaust seats, tappets, guides, timing set, water and oil pump, aluminum Intake, electronic ignition upgrade. Complete clutch job followed by going through every part of the drivetrain and repairing/servicing as requested. New electronic choke 4bbl carb, fuel lines. Removed, tanked cleaned and tested the fuel tank and radiator.
Chrome/Stainless: Complete stainless steel and chrome exhaust system from exhaust manifolds to the exhaust tips. Chroming of all bumpers and replacement of most of the exterior chrome/badging. New side mirror, new fuel chrome, front lights and all new brake lights. Purchased and Installed OEM side rocker covers custom fit for side exhaust. Finally new wheels and tires in 17” selected by owner.
Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Suspension: Straighten bent frame from accident and 4 wheel alignment. All new power steering conversion from manual. Replace non-power drum brakes with OEM power 4 wheel disc brake system with OEM emergency brake, stainless steel lines, new trailing arms, all bushings, new master cylinder and new power booster. Custom suspension for requested rake.
Interior/Body: Gauge repairs, new carpets, new seat belts, paint and rebuilding of dash/console shown on the television program), new heater core. Repair accident damage (rebuild of back fiberglass on car), repair bonding strip issues, Stunning Viper Red paint, Split window top was requested and built but the owner decided he didn’t want it. Undercoated in tar based so it could be removed later by owner.
Electrical; Rebuilding hideaway headlights because motors were both bad and the actuator frozen. Engine & dash harness repairs, Electronic Ignition, Gauge repair and significant lighting wiring repairs.
Lots of other details but these are the major items. Timing of the comments is “interesting” in that the car has been on the road for months and these comments were posted only after the show aired. Is it really fair to “not say anything in person” and then post issues online without saying anything?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 PM
vettefreak1967
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tuned in to see the 63 build. I've built a lot of mid year vettes and never finished one for under 100K. I have a feeling that taking that 63 and getting it done probably cost more than they said as every part on a C2 is obscenely expensive and I hang out at corvettes at Carlisle every year trying to find any bargains I can. The owner apparently got the motor back but why put an original low hp motor in a modified 63 anyway? The 63s had garbage brakes and they were all redone to discs for this build so originality isn't an issue. I think the top was amazing and am going to try to get one for my car.
The following users liked this post:
Secretariat1 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Wow - guess there's two sides too every story. This shop's work was more extensive than the show indicated by a fair margin. I'll be watching the '65 Mustang fastback build tonight (a car I'm VERY familiar with)...

Quick Reply: FANTOM Works on Velocity channel 63 vert