C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Allowable Rotational Play at Pinion of Solid Axle Posi?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Allowable Rotational Play at Pinion of Solid Axle Posi?

I tried searching this on the forum, but turned up mostly posts on in-and-out play on the side yokes of the differential, so I figured it would be a good question to ask the experts. How much, if any rotational play is acceptable at the pinion of the differential? It is about 1/4-3/8" on my 1957 Corvette 4.11 posi rear end. I wasn't sure if having a posi influenced for any additional play compared to an open diff. Just thought it would be best to check with the experts before pulling my axles and the pumpkin. Since I have her up on jackstands and the driveshaft off in prep to R&R the clutch, I might as well keep going if it needs to be done.

Thanks for advice in advance from a newbie to the forum!
Marc in Indy
1957 Corvette 245 HP 4spd posi
1979 Honda Civic SCCA GT5 vintage race car
1972 Kawasaki 350 S2 Triple vintage road race motorcycle
Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

That much play is way more than a new set up. If it's not making any noise and you're not going to wear the car out one more time, let it alone or you'll spend a bunch of money for something that is n't broken.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The posi unit has nothing to do with backlash setting, it is teh same regardless of the ring gear carrier.

backlash should be about .004" clearance, (from memory), that translates into less than 1/32" play at the outside of the driveshaft.

If for some reason, you do ever want to set it, it is pretty simple on these unit, as they have adjusting nuts to move the carrier tighter/looser, not shims or spacers.

If you don't have any howling noise, your gearset probably isn't worn badly, i would suspect carrier bearing looseness.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Allowable Rotational Play at Pinion of Solid Axle Posi?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Allowable Rotational Play at Pinion of Solid Axle Posi?