C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

-65 Vette runs 193,4MPH on standing mile!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 779 Likes on 533 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

God bless you man ! That's a Heck of an achievement and something to be proud of. But please put a cage in it. I been driving race cars for 35yrs and know that at those speeds things can go awfully wrong in a heartbeat. Any sanction in the US requires a cage to go that fast, and there's a reason. I'll get off my soapbox now and say no more about it..
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 PM
SWC Tim
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Absolutely awsume, followed the post from the beginning. Love to know the specs.
Tim
Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 AM
SIX-5
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi to all, yes it`s me, the grazy driver.
I had to start writin here. Sorry if there is no dots on right place and there is mistakes on letters, but here we go.

First it`s nice to know that some like that old car goes fast.

There is people thinking that i`m troll - "just joo, ihan sama".
Actually i`m allmoust normal guy.

Then some are laughing, nice to know that i can make people happy.

And also someone want answer to qestions.
This is possible i can try.

But where to start?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:47 AM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Two words. NO WAY
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SIX-5
Hi to all, yes it`s me, the grazy driver.
I had to start writin here. Sorry if there is no dots on right place and there is mistakes on letters, but here we go.

First it`s nice to know that some like that old car goes fast.

There is people thinking that i`m troll - "just joo, ihan sama".
Actually i`m allmoust normal guy.

Then some are laughing, nice to know that i can make people happy.

And also someone want answer to qestions.
This is possible i can try.

But where to start?
Hello and welcome!
You may know my friend Riku Loisa, he is a Finnish Corvette fan (finnshark.com) and also aeronautical engineer, I thought he may have helped with your car?
We would love to see a video of your record speed run, also some pictures of the aerodynamic modifications that you have done to your car?
How many HP did you need to push that car to 194MPH? I'm guessing 900+?

Paul
Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry if there is no dots on right place and there is mistakes on letters, but here we go.
Welcome! Your English is just fine

I would love to hear more about your build, and the aerodynamic changes.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 07-10-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 AM
SIX-5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Hello and welcome!
You may know my friend Riku Loisa, he is a Finnish Corvette fan (finnshark.com) and also aeronautical engineer, I thought he may have helped with your car?
We would love to see a video of your record speed run, also some pictures of the aerodynamic modifications that you have done to your car?
How many HP did you need to push that car to 194MPH? I'm guessing 900+?

Paul
You right, Riku is one of the team what i had on project.

Video is on speedparty organizer, they take it allmoust end of the track.

They will uppload it on youtube, i hope soon.

HP is something, old 2 mounth engine gives 645.5 at 7000 rpm and rising , this was on dyno.
New engine mods: heads and intake i make some (grinding), cam old 4-7 new also 2-3 swap and lift just under .7 inches, rpm limit is now 7500.

Aerodynamic will take time but i try explane later.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 AM
SIX-5
Instructor

I have only one incar video, that is on test run 281km/h 174.6mph and N/A.
Air intake is coming in front both side radiator, it`s 2*4inches alu tubes.
It gives fresh air to engine.

Cage: birdcage has been made sronger, front "z-bar" under dashboard is made from square steelbar, rear 2*1 inch tubular cromo bars, hidden under halopanel tubular cromo bars.

And still, if something happens it`s not enough.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Amazing accomplishment!! More engine details are appreciated. If anyone is interested, the Tx mile does not require any roll bar under 199mph, and only a 4pt for 200mph and above.

Most stock C6 ZR1s with about the same hp come in at 180mph or below. I imagine this C2 has set a record for achieving the highest speed with the least amount of hp. I guess we will find out if the aero mods were for the purpose of reducing drag or lift.

Last edited by uxojerry; 07-10-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 AM
SIX-5
Instructor

Originally Posted by uxojerry
Amazing accomplishment!! More engine details are appreciated. If anyone is interested, the Tx mile does not require any roll bar under 199mph, and only a 4pt for 200mph and above.

Most stock C6 ZR1s with about the same hp come in at 180mph or below. I imagine this C2 has set a record for achieving the highest speed with the least amount of hp. I guess we will find out if the aero mods were for the purpose of reducing drag or lift.
Engine:
World motown 2 race block .
Mahle pistons, K1 crank and K1 6 inch h-beam connecting rods.
AFR 235 heads, Edelbrock efi intake.
Compcams special cam.4-7 and 3-2 swap.

I try to put some pictures also if i can.
Hooker headers 1.7/8 primary and 3.5 collector.
Exhaust pipes 3 inch (dual balancer), there is H and X.
Jesel shaft rockers 1.6 ratio.
Throttle bodie is 1000 cfm.

Gearbox is tremeck t56 prepped last winter.

Last edited by SIX-5; 07-11-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-10-2013, 06:19 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

What advantages did you experience with the 4-7/3-2 swap? You must have also reduced a lot of power loss through the drive line. I would be interested in learning how you reduced those losses.

There are people who are convinced a C2 Corvette cannot achieve 200mph because the nose will go airborne, lol. Your doing a great job in dispelling that myth.

At what speed are you hitting the nitrous oxide? How much for how long? Sorry to ask so many questions but the car and it's achievements, are fascinating.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow... my kind of Vette...
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM
SIX-5
Instructor

What advantages did you experience with the 4-7/3-2 swap? You must have also reduced a lot of power loss through the drive line. I would be interested in learning how you reduced those losses.

There are people who are convinced a C2 Corvette cannot achieve 200mph because the nose will go airborne, lol. Your doing a great job in dispelling that myth.

At what speed are you hitting the nitrous oxide? How much for how long? Sorry to ask so many questions but the car and it's achievements, are fascinating.
Cam swap: engine runs smoother.
Drive line: rotating parts as light as possible, front rotors alu 6082,
rear boll bearings 4 lines/wheel, gearbox all shims by the book, line from engine/gearbox to rear end has been changed,

NOS: 4:th gear stage 1 about 120mph, 5:th gear have to check the speeds, but stege 1 about 2 sek and stage 2 to end of 5:th gear, 6:th gear 1 stage after 1 sek 2 stage.
I push buttom untill i see 300km/h on gps.
Stage 1 is 100hp and stage 2 is agen 100hp.

Aero kit hmmmmmmmmmm.

I try to keep air off under the car.
To make a spoiler the positive airpressure is draging/brakeing the car.
Same will hapen if positive airpressure is under the car.

But if you take positive pressure out, you get only stabil air, and on this speed that is not enough.

We need negative airpressure under the car to get "ground effect" and to keep it down.

Also negative airpressure don`t drag the car, i know it now.

Last year i drive only on "stabil" air under the car and front was lifting on 179mph this year first test 174mph no lift and 193 mph still no lift.

I try to tell better way this thing later.

Last edited by SIX-5; 07-10-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 AM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 177 Likes on 70 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

I think that Texas is a 4 Pt. minimum for 190 Plus and 6 pt or 8 pt. is
suggested.
East Coast Timing association, Southern California Timing Association and Loring Timing Association are more stringent than this. I run a funny car cage in my 56 Corvette and at
197 MPH I have a reasonable safety comfort level.
Having run some C2 cars at high speed also, I am impressed with the accomplishments of this car. I am anxious to learn some of the aero secrets.
Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Would you mind flying your car over to the US so we can take it apart and study it? lol. I guess maybe detailed photos of the build and mods would suffice, lol. We have to see all of the under car aero stuff. Thank you for being so helpful!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 AM
SIX-5
Instructor

Would you mind flying your car over to the US so we can take it apart and study it? lol. I guess maybe detailed photos of the build and mods would suffice, lol. We have to see all of the under car aero stuff. Thank you for being so helpful!
I think that people belive only when they see it, Texas mile hmmm, is that the answer?

Well i will explane some more later.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Pictures of everything!

I can't wait to see the video.

Get notified of new replies

To -65 Vette runs 193,4MPH on standing mile!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I think that people belive only when they see it, Texas mile hmmm, is that the answer?

Well i will explane some more later.
I hope you will decide to come over and run the Texas Mile. It is run on an airport runway, and is quite safe. Cars have run over 250mph, and some bikes (blown Hayabusas) have run to nearly 300mph. There have been some very spectacular accidents, but due to the safety requirements (NASA rules) no fatalties. Its a LONG way to come to run a Corvette, but LOTS of us here in Texas/America offer hospitality, and would love to see you and your car.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

We need pictures of rear of car, and as much under body work as you care to divulge.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Front end lift being bad on 63 & 64 models is no myth. Chevy found that out when they went raceing. The C2 front end's design forces a lot of air flow to go under body and build up lift pressure under the hood because there is no way for that air pressure to vent.

If you look at pictures of GS before and after they when racing, you will see what was done to try and relieve under hood air pressure. Little vents were cut in lower fenders to help vent air, along with raising back of hood up about 2.0" also. Later on you see the vented hoods.

65 Model year, Chevy changed the lower vent design by adding 3 vents. If you compare the area of those vents to those they cut in the lower fenders of GS you will find the 3 vent openings area far exceeds that of the ones in GS. Compared to 67 5 vents and I'm guessing that the 3 65-66 vent openings area and 67's 5 opening areas are about the same.

No sure if the GS's body does not sit higher than a stock body to get more tire clearance. If it does, that makes lift worse.

I stand with the 65's owner until someone proves the equipment used to to measure all the cars speed at event was faulty.

Quick Reply: -65 Vette runs 193,4MPH on standing mile!