C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Wheel Markings

Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Default 66 Wheel Markings

Hi Guys, new to forum and have been following it diligently. I have just this past week purchased a '66 Driver Coupe with period correct wheels but not original steel wheels. I have the original hub caps and want to locate 4 or 5 original KH steel wheels that are correct for car.
The car was built Feb 7, 66, it is A.O.Smith built SB. I understand correct wheels to fit over calipers should be date coded from sometime end of 1965 thru Feb 5, 66 to be correct with build date.
How do I identify the correct wheels, wheel stampings are they inside the wheel or by the valve stem hole for this time period.
What will the correct date codes be for this car and how do I read the date coding.
If I cannot locate wheels with the correct date code and KH marking are there recommendations for substitute steel wheel.
If they are on inside of wheel and never seen during judging then should I even be concerned?
Now the search begins to find the few remaining necessary parts to make the car more authentic. This car was inspected before purchase by NCRS master judge with very few issues.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks for reading this post
Roger
Old 07-07-2013, 07:19 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger L
Hi Guys, new to forum and have been following it diligently. I have just this past week purchased a '66 Driver Coupe with period correct wheels but not original steel wheels. I have the original hub caps and want to locate 4 or 5 original KH steel wheels that are correct for car.
The car was built Feb 7, 66, it is A.O.Smith built SB. I understand correct wheels to fit over calipers should be date coded from sometime end of 1965 thru Feb 5, 66 to be correct with build date.
How do I identify the correct wheels, wheel stampings are they inside the wheel or by the valve stem hole for this time period.
What will the correct date codes be for this car and how do I read the date coding.
If I cannot locate wheels with the correct date code and KH marking are there recommendations for substitute steel wheel.
If they are on inside of wheel and never seen during judging then should I even be concerned?
Now the search begins to find the few remaining necessary parts to make the car more authentic. This car was inspected before purchase by NCRS master judge with very few issues.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks for reading this post
Roger
Roger, welcome to the Forum! The '65-'66 steel wheel is quite distinctive in appearance - the raised ring area around the lug nut holes is smooth, and has NO "bumps" to retain small center hubcaps, there's a pair of raised bumps on either side of the valve stem hole, and there are NO stampings on the rim flange adjacent to the valve stem (that didn't start until the '67 rally wheel). The wheel is dated and size-marked 15 x 5-1/2JK on the rim (under the tire). In judging, no one will be able to see the date, but they WILL recognize the unique '65-'66-only spider configuration. These wheels are becoming hard to find and very expensive.
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 AM
c2performance
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a set $1200.00 plus shipping call Tom 1-248-596-9546
Old 07-08-2013, 09:04 AM
vark_wso
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Roger

'Counter wheels' for '65-'66 Corvette where briefly available as replacement stock 'back in the day' from Chevy. These have identical appearance as described by John, but with date stamps adjacent the valve stem hole. Here's a '65-'66 counter wheel with a Jan 22 '69 example.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Guys thanks for reply, information and photos are very helpful to find a replacement set of wheels
Roger
Old 03-30-2014, 09:03 PM
rubrhammer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Roger, welcome to the Forum! The '65-'66 steel wheel is quite distinctive in appearance - the raised ring area around the lug nut holes is smooth, and has NO "bumps" to retain small center hubcaps, there's a pair of raised bumps on either side of the valve stem hole, and there are NO stampings on the rim flange adjacent to the valve stem (that didn't start until the '67 rally wheel). The wheel is dated and size-marked 15 x 5-1/2JK on the rim (under the tire). In judging, no one will be able to see the date, but they WILL recognize the unique '65-'66-only spider configuration. These wheels are becoming hard to find and very expensive.
That is very good information! Thanks for posting the pics.
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Wheel Markings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 66 Wheel Markings