C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Quick Fuel Carb Install - L79

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:28 AM
TheGanzman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick Fuel Carb Install - L79

Well, after living with my "Blueprinted" stock Holley carb on my newly-acquired 1967 Coupe for about THREE days, I was ready for a change! After talking with the FANTASTIC folks at Quick Fuel, we spec'd out a "Hot Rod" series 600cfm carb to replace my Holley. My friend Don "5th Vette" and I completed it today - WHAT a difference! Caution: If you have NO interest in a close to "R&R" replacement carb that works about 1000% better - smoother idle, faster cold & hot starting, less fuel/exhaust smell, NO leaking, and lighter, then this thread is not for you! However, if you're sick and tired of the inherent foibles of the Holley carburetor, and are ready to install a NEW carb that will require NO permanent alterations to your stock '66-'67 L79, then read on: As indicated, this carb flows slightly more cfm from the stock 585cfm at 600. Electric choke and MECHANICAL secondaries at my request - I just like the "snap" you get when mechanical secondaries kick in! Quick Fuel also added a fuel runner between the front and back bowls, like the stock Holley:

As of this writing, you'll need a Holley part - #26-25 - which you can buy online for under $20. This is a "swivel fuel bowl fitting" that allows you to come out of the side of the front fuel bowl at the same angle as the original Holley 3810. In the photo above, you can see that we attached this to the ORIGINAL steel fuel line with a small section of 5/16" Gates rubber fuel line. The only thing alittle "ghetto" about this install is that we left the original screw-in fitting on the line - we zip-tied it close to the rubber line. Quick Fuel says that an EXACT fuel bowl w/proper angle and built-in fuel filter is forthcoming! Before installing the carb, you'll have to fire up your Dremel and "relieve" some aluminum from the front, so that the "indexed" stock air cleaner will fit/line up:

Take your time on this step; slow going, but it came out reasonably "neat". Next step is to install an inline fuel filter, since the original Holley 3810 had a built-in filter that the Quick Fuel lacks. I chose a Wix #33033. You can see it below, nestled neatly in-between the frame and the engine, hiding under my AC compressor:

You'll need to remove the stock 3/8" rubber line here (it prolly needs replacing ANYWAY, w/the ***** fuel these days!) - getcherself some new Gates 3/8" line and a handful of clamps and there it is!
So - all that's left is the electric choke. My car has (Dealer-installed in 1967) Transistor Ignition, so I couldn't tap off the ballast resistor. I opted for the black wire going up to the windshield washer pump motor (I ganked the washer bag a few days ago; NEVER use the stock w/s washer system anyway!) - we just popped it off the pump motor and ran a section of wire zip-tied onto the temp. wire/insulation up to the choke, w/the appropriate spade connectors on each end:

Next step - tap the gas pedal, turn the key, and enjoy quick starting, a "proper" choke/fast idle, and neck-snapping acceleration ever' time you depress the loud pedal - Yes Please!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Where did you buy the carb?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 AM
TheGanzman
Racer

Originally Posted by 54greg
Where did you buy the carb?
I got it directly from "Scooter" at Quick Fuel - $400 out da' d'oh! He's at extension 2221 - mention my name and you'll get a good seat!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 04-06-2013, 05:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Really happy with mine too. They did tell me to up the idle air bleeds and that I would need to up the power valve as well....5 minute job for both items. The carb has float bowl sight glasses that make setting the level a breeze; along with mixture screws with real 'heads' on them so a screwdriver actually works. And, the choke works like a choke should.

A very nice piece, and - as stated. a bolt on replacement for a Holley 4150. I don't do rubber fuel lines over a hot aluminum manifold so it was the Mr. Gasket kit with fuel pressure gauge for me.

Double throttle return spring are a good idea too (I run two of them as shown).

The only downside I see is that the Holley optional 'step-up' idle solenoid for A/C-equipped carbs won't fit the Q/F carb (and Q/F apparently doesn't offer their own). That thing only worked marginally anyway so no big loss. Holley jets and power valves will work in the Q/F but the Q/F power valves are "four door" valves and a little nicer.

Have to say working on my NOM Chevelle (unlike my nearly all original Corvette) has a nice sense of freedom about it. I can put upgrades on it, try different stuff and screw around with a few 'bling' options without offending the originality Gods...
Attached Images    

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-06-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 AM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 183 Posts

This couldn't have come at a better time, thanks! I've been debating what to do about my '66 carb and your solution looks and sounds perfect.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGanzman
Well, after living with my "Blueprinted" stock Holley carb on my newly-acquired 1967 Coupe for about THREE days, I was ready for a change! After talking with the FANTASTIC folks at Quick Fuel, we spec'd out a "Hot Rod" series 600cfm carb to replace my Holley. My friend Don "5th Vette" and I completed it today - WHAT a difference! Caution: If you have NO interest in a close to "R&R" replacement carb that works about 1000% better - smoother idle, faster cold & hot starting, less fuel/exhaust smell, NO leaking, and lighter, then this thread is not for you! However, if you're sick and tired of the inherent foibles of the Holley carburetor, and are ready to install a NEW carb that will require NO permanent alterations to your stock '66-'67 L79, then read on: As indicated, this carb flows slightly more cfm from the stock 585cfm at 600. Electric choke and MECHANICAL secondaries at my request - I just like the "snap" you get when mechanical secondaries kick in! Quick Fuel also added a fuel runner between the front and back bowls, like the stock Holley:

As of this writing, you'll need a Holley part - #26-25 - which you can buy online for under $20. This is a "swivel fuel bowl fitting" that allows you to come out of the side of the front fuel bowl at the same angle as the original Holley 3810. In the photo above, you can see that we attached this to the ORIGINAL steel fuel line with a small section of 5/16" Gates rubber fuel line. The only thing alittle "ghetto" about this install is that we left the original screw-in fitting on the line - we zip-tied it close to the rubber line. Quick Fuel says that an EXACT fuel bowl w/proper angle and built-in fuel filter is forthcoming! Before installing the carb, you'll have to fire up your Dremel and "relieve" some aluminum from the front, so that the "indexed" stock air cleaner will fit/line up:

Take your time on this step; slow going, but it came out reasonably "neat". Next step is to install an inline fuel filter, since the original Holley 3810 had a built-in filter that the Quick Fuel lacks. I chose a Wix #33033. You can see it below, nestled neatly in-between the frame and the engine, hiding under my AC compressor:

You'll need to remove the stock 3/8" rubber line here (it prolly needs replacing ANYWAY, w/the ***** fuel these days!) - getcherself some new Gates 3/8" line and a handful of clamps and there it is!
So - all that's left is the electric choke. My car has (Dealer-installed in 1967) Transistor Ignition, so I couldn't tap off the ballast resistor. I opted for the black wire going up to the windshield washer pump motor (I ganked the washer bag a few days ago; NEVER use the stock w/s washer system anyway!) - we just popped it off the pump motor and ran a section of wire zip-tied onto the temp. wire/insulation up to the choke, w/the appropriate spade connectors on each end:

Next step - tap the gas pedal, turn the key, and enjoy quick starting, a "proper" choke/fast idle, and neck-snapping acceleration ever' time you depress the loud pedal - Yes Please!
Nice job!
The 650 is a good size for your stock L79. It took some ***** to use a DP instead of the Hoover air flapper. What's your axle ratio?
Let me know how it responds if/when you mash it from a roll. If it bogs or can't "take" all the fuel, we can work on it.
Joe
Old 04-06-2013, 10:41 AM
pchalpin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a QFT SS-750 on my SB 406 in August 2011. The thing is awesome and looks like a piece of jewelry!!

And I concur 100% with the dual return spring usage.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Really happy with mine too. They did tell me to up the idle air bleeds and that I would need to up the power valve as well....5 minute job for both items. The carb has float bowl sight glasses that make setting the level a breeze; along with mixture screws with real 'heads' on them so a screwdriver actually works. And, the choke works like a choke should.

A very nice piece, and - as stated. a bolt on replacement for a Holley 4150. I don't do rubber fuel lines over a hot aluminum manifold so it was the Mr. Gasket kit with fuel pressure gauge for me.

Double throttle return spring are a good idea too (I run two of them as shown).

The only downside I see is that the Holley optional 'step-up' idle solenoid for A/C-equipped carbs won't fit the Q/F carb (and Q/F apparently doesn't offer their own). That thing only worked marginally anyway so no big loss. Holley jets and power valves will work in the Q/F but the Q/F power valves are "four door" valves and a little nicer.

Have to say working on my NOM Chevelle (unlike my nearly all original Corvette) has a nice sense of freedom about it. I can put upgrades on it, try different stuff and screw around with a few 'bling' options without offending the originality Gods...
Have you tried the upper throttle position? You would need a bushing. it would give you a wider sweep of the gas pedal for a given amount of throttle opening. I prefer it on our 62. With the lower position, I found myself hitting the pedal a little hard and occasionally lighting the tires up when I didn't intend to.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:48 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

quick fuel is a great company and i have used their stuff for a while now
their carb kits are good too and usually cheaper than "pure holley"
the design is holley's but improved on by quick fuel, like msd does with their distributors vs. stockers, they both do essentially the same thing but with better more tuneable components, thanks to the hot rodding industry.....jmo
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 AM
TheGanzman
Racer

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Nice job!
The 650 is a good size for your stock L79. It took some ***** to use a DP instead of the Hoover air flapper. What's your axle ratio?
Let me know how it responds if/when you mash it from a roll. If it bogs or can't "take" all the fuel, we can work on it.
Joe
Joe - Well, it's a 600, not a 650. Not sure why it "took some *****" to use a double pumper over the vacuum secondaries - having driven dozens of cars w/vacuum secondaries ("I'm WAITING for those secondaries to kick in..."), vs. a few cars w/mechanical secondary carbs ("Ba-BAM - THERE those secondaries are!"), that was "Option #1" on my new carb checklist! The "seat of the pants" difference is remarkable; plus you can HEAR the secondaries kickin' in - sounds like a Tweaker suckin' down a Slurpee, LOL!

RE ratio is 3.73; throttle response is INSTANTANEOUS - no bogging anyTIME! As Don said: "Best $400 that you've spent on this car so far!"
Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Joe - Well, it's a 600, not a 650. Not sure why it "took some *****" to use a double pumper over the vacuum secondaries - having driven dozens of cars w/vacuum secondaries ("I'm WAITING for those secondaries to kick in..."), vs. a few cars w/mechanical secondary carbs ("Ba-BAM - THERE those secondaries are!"), that was "Option #1" on my new carb checklist! The "seat of the pants" difference is remarkable; plus you can HEAR the secondaries kickin' in - sounds like a Tweaker suckin' down a Slurpee, LOL!

RE ratio is 3.73; throttle response is INSTANTANEOUS - no bogging anyTIME! As Don said: "Best $400 that you've spent on this car so far!"
That's good.
The comment about the "*****" was made facetiously, as there is a decent percentage of folks here who are conservative to a fault. The light car combined with the good axle ratio, manual trans, and relatively small throttle size makes the DP a no brainer.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

QF rebuild my 3367 Holey carb... they do good work !
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Well, after living with my "Blueprinted" stock Holley carb on my newly-acquired 1967 Coupe for about THREE days, I was ready for a change!

Caution: If you have NO interest in a close to "R&R" replacement carb that works about 1000% better - smoother idle, faster cold & hot starting, less fuel/exhaust smell, NO leaking, and lighter, then this thread is not for you! However, if you're sick and tired of the inherent foibles of the Holley carburetor,
I think your problem was an old, dirty and/or worn out carburetor. New Holleys didn't have those problems but I'm glad you're happy now.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by wesmigletz
Have you tried the upper throttle position? You would need a bushing. it would give you a wider sweep of the gas pedal for a given amount of throttle opening. I prefer it on our 62. With the lower position, I found myself hitting the pedal a little hard and occasionally lighting the tires up when I didn't intend to.
My throttle rod that came on the car doesn't lend itself to the upper throttle plate position (I already bought the nylon bushing, etc. for use in that spot but it didn't work out). If I try the upper hole I can't get a full 'throw' on the accelerator. The lower hole does work and has given me no issues...
Old 04-06-2013, 10:19 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think your problem was an old, dirty and/or worn out carburetor. New Holleys didn't have those problems but I'm glad you're happy now.
..it's all about being happy, happy, happy....
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Ganzman, thanks for the DIY. Did QF indicate to you when the Holley style front bowl will be available and do you plan to use it? Also, please let us know how your fuel economy works out compared to the Holley. I have the same engine with a replacement 3367 that I had rebuilt two years ago.it still works good but I don't care for the vacuum secondaries. The choke works fine so no issues there. It has started to weep gas at several spots and this is getting worst. I just don't want to put any more money into it. I would probably get a manual choke.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Fuel Carb Install - L79

Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM
TheGanzman
Racer

Originally Posted by MarkC
Ganzman, thanks for the DIY. Did QF indicate to you when the Holley style front bowl will be available and do you plan to use it? Also, please let us know how your fuel economy works out compared to the Holley. I have the same engine with a replacement 3367 that I had rebuilt two years ago.it still works good but I don't care for the vacuum secondaries. The choke works fine so no issues there. It has started to weep gas at several spots and this is getting worst. I just don't want to put any more money into it. I would probably get a manual choke.
Marc - No, he didn't; I got the impression that it would be pretty soon though. I WILL be retrofitting it to mine, just because I want the fuel filter to be "handier" to access - easy retrofit though, since all I'll need to do is replace the rubber line where I installed the inline filter from the steel line on the frame to the fuel pump.

I didn't drive the car more than ~100 miles with that crappy Holley before replacing it, so it will be hard for me to "A-B" the fuel economy. Furthermore, ANY "fuel economy" discussions that *I* might offer would be immaterial to most folks, since I now (and will CONTINUE to) drive my car like I STOLE it EACH & EVERY time I get behind the wheel - the mechanical secondaries just "assist" that effort, LOL...
Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Marc - No, he didn't; I got the impression that it would be pretty soon though. I WILL be retrofitting it to mine, just because I want the fuel filter to be "handier" to access - easy retrofit though, since all I'll need to do is replace the rubber line where I installed the inline filter from the steel line on the frame to the fuel pump.

I didn't drive the car more than ~100 miles with that crappy Holley before replacing it, so it will be hard for me to "A-B" the fuel economy. Furthermore, ANY "fuel economy" discussions that *I* might offer would be immaterial to most folks, since I now (and will CONTINUE to) drive my car like I STOLE it EACH & EVERY time I get behind the wheel - the mechanical secondaries just "assist" that effort, LOL...
Thanks and good luck with the QF. I'll f/u with scooter for a date. Mark
Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM
TheGanzman
Racer

Originally Posted by MarkC
Thanks and good luck with the QF. I'll f/u with scooter for a date. Mark
Um...I think he's married, but hey - go for it!

Sorry - I couldn't resist...

Quick Reply: Quick Fuel Carb Install - L79