C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Amsoil???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 AM
zeus337
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Amsoil???

What do you guys think about using Amsoil 10w30 zrod synthetic oil (zrod is oil with zinc added for old cars) and Amsoil synthetic dot 3 brake fluid in a 66 vette. I've never used Amsoil products and wondered what people that have used it think about it compared to other products.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:39 AM
MarvBarrish
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 41 Posts

I use amsoil products in my in my newer vehicles but prefer to stick to mineral type oils with higher levels of zinc in my vintage cars.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I think if you have an OEM spec built engine there's no reason to use any oil different, or the equavalent than what your owner's manual recommends.

I wouldn't use Dot 3 brake fluid in any old car. Dot 5 seems to prevent water from getting in the system and causing corrosion damage.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:23 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I use Amsoil in 4 cars and 2 boats. Their Marine diesel oil and is far superior to any other oil. It lasts longer, no oil consumption and close to 8 percent better fuel mileage. I use ZRod in my 66 L79 with no complaints. I believe in using the best oil available and based on my research Amsoil is hard to beat. I also have a C6 Z06 and I use their Signature Series oil in it.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:57 PM
zeus337
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I do think zrod is the way to go. Any experience with their brake fluid?
Old 07-28-2013, 01:01 AM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I would recommend C1/C2 owners read the article “Engine Oil for Vintage Corvettes” by Duke Williams on page 3-6 in the link below. Then, use which ever oil you choose.

http://stlouisncrs.org/news_files/St..._July_2011.pdf
Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

In highway use, we get 300,000-500,000 miles from the Chevy small blocks in our cars and trucks using Castrol Syntec 10W-30. About $25 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart. We change oil at 7000 mile intervals using tall K & N oil filters, HP3002 AIR.

Also good enough for the C2 IMO.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:07 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have not used the brake fluid but I am sure it is a quality product. I am also a big fan of their ATF. My boat which has twin Yanmar diesels and takes ATF in the ZF transmissions. I just did an oil change last month and with about 250 hours on the transmissions. The oil looked like new and the filters looked very clean. Take a few minutes and read up on Amsoil. Put in Amsoil vs Mobil One and you will find hours of reading on this product. I am not a dealer but I did become a Preferred customer. You can call in an order and it is delivered the next day. They also have excellent oil filters. My 66 takes the original filer so I am out of luck there. Everyone has their opinions on oil, that's why there are so many brands. After spending all this money on these expensive toys I want the best oil. BTW, I use Amsoil in my John Deer lawn mower. It loves it.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
I would recommend C1/C2 owners read the article “Engine Oil for Vintage Corvettes” by Duke Williams on page 3-6 in the link below. Then, use which ever oil you choose.

Never read this before - a nice, straightforward elicitation of facts about engine oil and vintage Corvettes; also confirms the fact that TOO much ZDDP is not a good thing....as some here have used ZDDP additives in addition to CJ-4/CI-4 rated oils.

FTF
Old 07-28-2013, 08:11 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Very good reading-thanks for sharing!

Mike
Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Excellant reading and easy to understand. Dennis
Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been using AMSOIL in my 02 Z06 at the track since 2004 and have been very happy with it. Started marketing it on the forum later that same year so feel free to view my input as biased. I personally use it in everything from the Vette to my tow vehicle, daily drivers, and lawn and garden equipment.

For those that do opt to try AMSOIL, more than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 07-28-2013, 03:28 PM
zeus337
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by C66 Racing
I've been using AMSOIL in my 02 Z06 at the track since 2004 and have been very happy with it. Started marketing it on the forum later that same year so feel free to view my input as biased. I personally use it in everything from the Vette to my tow vehicle, daily drivers, and lawn and garden equipment.

For those that do opt to try AMSOIL, more than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.
What can you tell me about the Amsoil synthetic brake fluid.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Excellant reading and easy to understand. Dennis
Wow, nearly five years after it was originally published in The Corvette Restorer, the CF finally found it.

Actually, I posted to the "oil sticky" thread with the link a couple of years ago, but who's ever going to find it buried in the hundreds of posts.

BTW, thanks for the compliments!

The 2011 revision in the St. Louis NCRS chapter newsletter that the link gets you to is still valid. Nothing has changed with API service categories since then.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 07-28-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus337
What can you tell me about the Amsoil synthetic brake fluid.
ALL brake fluid is synthetic, and they all have to meet or exceed the test requirements in their SAE type classification, whether it's DOT3, DOT4, DOT5, or DOT5.1. Anything else is marketing hype, smoke and mirrors, and is meaningless.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think if you have an OEM spec built engine there's no reason to use any oil different, or the equavalent than what your owner's manual recommends.

I wouldn't use Dot 3 brake fluid in any old car. Dot 5 seems to prevent water from getting in the system and causing corrosion damage.

So do I read your reasoning correctly that oil products have not improved in 50 years but brake fluid has?

Just breaking stones. If you actually drive your car regularly I believe the Dot 3 brake fluid that was in the system when the car came from the factory should suffice like it did when the car was delivered. I also believe that if the engine has more than 25,000 miles on it there is no reason to change to synthetic oil. The wear has taken place, the blow-by on the rings isn't going to change by implementing synthetic oil into the equation. Nothing to be gained if you perform regular oil changes.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
So do I read your reasoning correctly that oil products have not improved in 50 years but brake fluid has?

Just breaking stones. If you actually drive your car regularly I believe the Dot 3 brake fluid that was in the system when the car came from the factory should suffice like it did when the car was delivered. I also believe that if the engine has more than 25,000 miles on it there is no reason to change to synthetic oil. The wear has taken place, the blow-by on the rings isn't going to change by implementing synthetic oil into the equation. Nothing to be gained if you perform regular oil changes.
I'm unsure if you're asking a question or making a statement? You can't even buy the same engine oil as was factory fill in the mid 60's.

Synthetic oil is good for modern engines that run very hot. Not for me. I run a steady 180*. On a fixed income and see no good reason to spend the extra money on an old car, regardless of what it cost or what it's worth.

I do make exception with the brake fluid. Dot 5 in five old cars. Costs more initially but no maintenence, no repairs, no problems.

Last edited by MikeM; 07-28-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Amsoil???

Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE

MikeM is correct on this issue.

DOT3/4 brake fluid should be changed every two years to minimize corrosion. Nobody likes doing that and most owners just don't do it. DOT5 is more tolerant of neglect in this respect so for no other reason is more suitable for cars that sit.

Oil on the other hand is no better today than 50 years ago with respect to requiring a change on a calendar basis. Nothing to be gained by using fancy expen$ive boo-teek oils that get tossed out every 12 months.

DOT5 doesn't stop a car any better than DOT3/4, but there again- synthetic oils don't make engines last longer than dino oils.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
MikeM is correct on this issue.

DOT3/4 brake fluid should be changed every two years to minimize corrosion. Nobody likes doing that and most owners just don't do it. DOT5 is more tolerant of neglect in this respect so for no other reason is more suitable for cars that sit.

Oil on the other hand is no better today than 50 years ago with respect to requiring a change on a calendar basis. Nothing to be gained by using fancy expen$ive boo-teek oils that get tossed out every 12 months.

DOT5 doesn't stop a car any better than DOT3/4, but there again- synthetic oils don't make engines last longer than dino oils.
I flush my brake fluid at least twice a year and I run Dot 4. I hate dirty brake fluid.

On oil I must respectfully disagree. I am not a chemist or a technician on oils but if oil is no better today than 50 years ago there would be no reason for the factory to supply new engines with synthetic oil from the factory.

Mike M you are correct. I haven't seen a Wolfs Head oil can that requires a spout to puncture it in a long time.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM

DOT 5 also will not hurt the paint if you get a spot on the car.

Quick Reply: Amsoil???