C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Watkins Glen US Vintage Grand Prix (warning: lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Awesome event, great photos, what caught my eyes is how great those classic cars look in a race event and also many are running what appears to be American Racing Daisy Wheels period correct, very cool, thanks for posting
Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I'm sorry to hear that. I had been there since Thursday morning, and had a 4 1/2 - 5 hour ride home, so I left as soon as we had the car loaded up. The Group 6 feature race was just starting, as I left the track.

The car's out of Duntov, sure haven't had a good year!

There were a lot more cars than usual, wrecked at The Glen. Besides O'Donnell's Corvette and Bill Bryan's Sunoco Camaro, a Donovan Racing XKE was torn up real bad on Friday.

On Saturday morning, the track was wet, and a number of cars crashed trying to race on the damp track. I watched a Volvo P1800 driver, tear up both ends of his car Saturday morning, when he spun, backed into the Armco, and then spun around nose first into it again! There was also a Triumph Sprite, that crashed Saturday morning, and a couple other cars, that I didn't see.

It was not your typical vintage race weekend.
Excellent pictures!

The weekend at Lime Rock, after the Monday morning rain, the Sprite #3 spun 5 360's on No Name Straight after hitting some water runoff. Didn't hit a thing and continued on to the Uphill. The #45 Mustang spun after running through the same "river" and ended up taking the left rear corner off the car. One of the yellow Mustangs, #15 or 16, hit the armco in the came spot and took some paint off the left side.

These guys don't just "parade" the cars. They Race!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

I think I took just as many pics as you this year! My on course pics are lousy, but here is my contribution to this thread nonetheless:

IMO, best event at the track by far. Going through the garage REALLY brings me back to when my Dad took me through during the Grand Prix/Can-Am weekends when I was a kid in the 70s'....I lost him at age 10 and seeing some of the old racers really takes me back.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This Audi R8 didn't even seem like it was trying....Looked and sounded effortless around the track; tore it up!

[IMG][/IMG]

This Alfa Romeo causes spittle to form in the corners of my mouth if I look at it too long. Enzo Ferrari once raced this car. There usually is a 37-38 race bodied Duesenberg here but I didn't see it this year

[IMG][/IMG]

Note the interesting driveshafts(?) coming out of the transmission to each rear wheel
[IMG][/IMG]

They were thinking about brake cooling, even back then...

[IMG][/IMG]

And got to meet Vic Edelbrock, his wife, and daughter as well. Very nice people.

This weekend just gets better and better every year!
Old 09-13-2013, 02:41 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

GREAT photos!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pics, gbvette62! I recognize a lot of those T/A cars from the races in Monterey. They must really get around.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:06 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by gbvette62
More Historic Trans Am cars.

The first shot is Fox Sports commentator Mike Joy, followed by a picture of the black #89 66 Mustang that he was driving.

Is he standing next to Brian Johnson of AC/DC holding the Corona?

Pics, thanks for posting these

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen US Vintage Grand Prix (warning: lots of pics)