C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bill Cook 1960's/70's Southern California C2 Slalom Guy!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:09 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Rex, Is your 64 still as beautiful? Would you please post a current photo.
Thanks for the kind words Martin. I finally got it back on the road a few months ago, with the original race engine and dual air meter FI unit. It's one of the most fun Corvettes I've owned in the last 50 years.

Last edited by Dr L-88; 01-13-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:12 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi
TC, Does Rudy Pretti surface in your documents?
I just looked back in to see if I upset everyone as that is my Corvette guy reputation!

I have been asked to research stuff and caused quite a number of people to get all butt hurt, because the news wasn't as awesome as what they fabricated in their head!

The last guy I think was the big claimed Pedro Rodriguez car owner who claims a world famous bought special direct from Zora in 1966 with M22 and all of the goodies! Well Pedro didn't hook up with Yenko still 1967, and raced with him in 1968 I am sure GM had this fabulous rare car just waiting around for an entire year just for Pedro! He made a bad decision in his signing to a new F1 from his 1966 NART days and ended up as a driver essentially for hire! Harold Whims had a real 1966 Competition coupe ( I can show a picture of it), and crashed that! Pedro in 1968 didn't need the top option commuter Vette anymore, so it went back to Yenko and got those race parts from the wrecked car and then reappeared on the track! The car had no competition record still it showed up way later! Butt hurt! Pedro didn't own a Corvette in 1966 and was driving NART supplied Ferrari's and got to play with a Ford GT-350!

Ok that name sounds familiar! You have always been cool to me, I think he did some Vette Drag (Vette Magic events) off of my memory! Give me more info, an approximate date and what he was doing? And I can look in what I do have! And the Grid sheets aren't Slalon/autocross stuff! I have some of that, but never really found or pursued those records on NorCal autoxing! I have traditionally looked something up for any cool to me enthusiast ( many success stories), two are Matt and Rex here in this thread! Matt has the sources now for what I found for him originally, so he can take me out of his great and notable SoCal car history now! I don't like my full name floating around the internet, because of the dangerous line of work that I am in!

I will look that guy up! If he was on the real race tracks, unless it is some of the regional stuff, because that regional stuff and records weren't too available even back in the day and those results are tough to find (the National level, pretty good coverage existed)! The Autox stuff is super limited (best to contact the clubs if they are still around), but maybe for NorCal slalom, we will get lucky!

Ps other than the Annusl Drag that still are held in Sacramento now, with the big swap meet; But other events back in the day were the Lake Tahoe fun weekends, the North vs South Santa Maria Grand Prix, the Sports Car Olympics, the Corvana and Monza events! And then we had the pre-conventions and the annual WSCC Conventions with circulation around the Western States back then!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-13-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:23 PM
32boyd
Cruising

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Rudi Pretti

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I just looked back in to see if I upset everyone as that is my Corvette guy reputation!

I have been asked to research stuff and caused quite a number of people to get all butt hurt, because the news wasn't as awesome as what they fabricated in their head!

The last guy I think was the big claimed Pedro Rodriguez car owner who claims a world famous bought special direct from Zora in 1966 with M22 and all of the goodies! Well Pedro didn't hook up with Yenko still 1967, and raced with him in 1968 I am sure GM had this fabulous rare car just waiting around for an entire year just for Pedro! He made a bad decision in his signing to a new F1 from his 1966 NART days and ended up as a driver essentially for hire! Harold Whims had a real 1966 Competition coupe ( I can show a picture of it), and crashed that! Pedro in 1968 didn't need the top option commuter Vette anymore, so it went back to Yenko and got those race parts from the wrecked car and then reappeared on the track! The car had no competition record still it showed up way later! Butt hurt! Pedro didn't own a Corvette in 1966 and was driving NART supplied Ferrari's and got to play with a Ford GT-350!

Ok that name sounds familiar! You have always been cool to me, I think he did some Vette Drag (Vette Magic events) off of my memory! Give me more info, an approximate date and what he was doing? And I can look in what I do have! And the Grid sheets aren't Slalon/autocross stuff! I have some of that, but never really found or pursued those records on NorCal autoxing! I have traditionally looked something up for any cool to me enthusiast ( many success stories), two are Matt and Rex here in this thread! Matt has the sources now for what I found for him originally, so he can take me out of his great and notable SoCal car history now! I don't like my full name floating around the internet, because of the dangerous line of work that I am in!

I will look that guy up! If he was on the real race tracks, unless it is some of the regional stuff, because that regional stuff and records weren't too available even back in the day and those results are tough to find (the National level, pretty good coverage existed)! The Autox stuff is super limited (best to contact the clubs if they are still around), but maybe for NorCal slalom, we will get lucky!

Ps other than the Annusl Drag that still are held in Sacramento now, with the big swap meet; But other events back in the day were the Lake Tahoe fun weekends, the North vs South Santa Maria Grand Prix, the Sports Car Olympics, the Corvana and Monza events! And then we had the pre-conventions and the annual WSCC Conventions with circulation around the Western States back then!

This is the car your talking about Rudy Pretti's 63 Splitwindow, i boight tbe car from him 6 years ago he was my neighbor of mine when i was 13. I use to clean the cat every week after school. Rudy psssex away last year from cancer he was like a second dad to me. His son Manny still owns Ole Blue the 66 big block coupe also. Any questions please feel free to ask. Also car is or will neber be offeted for sale as long as i'm alive and breathing
Old 12-11-2018, 08:07 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by 32boyd

This is the car your talking about Rudy Pretti's 63 Splitwindow, i boight tbe car from him 6 years ago he was my neighbor of mine when i was 13. I use to clean the cat every week after school. Rudy psssex away last year from cancer he was like a second dad to me. His son Manny still owns Ole Blue the 66 big block coupe also. Any questions please feel free to ask. Also car is or will neber be offeted for sale as long as i'm alive and breathing
I have pictures of it in front of someone’s house. I have the same Jongbloed modular rims on mine.

I lately was dabbling in the big block development and out the back door racing programs. I now have moved onto Fuel Funny car and Fuel Altered drag racing research! I am putting back together the history of events SoCal! Lions and OCIR mostly 1965-1972. I came into a whole bunch of race programs, so the match racing, the bracket fields, mostly chasing Chevrolet engines stuff (Bovan, Chadwick, Harrell, Thorley, etc etc.

I have four storage garages and buried the slalom and club participation stuff in the 3rd garage and just have not pulled it back out in the last year or so! Like earlier this year, I just bought a whole batch of slalom event records from 1966 and the entire 1965 season for SOCal, but haven’t even cataloged those yet. I just lost interest!

I have my one slalom car figured out, and the other car’s brief period, after it’s brief racing career and then return to a track car! And not that many interested in this type of stuff, so now it is just an occasional project I get out.

This guy when I do get that stuff out, have plans to look him and other guys that people have asked me about. Cool 1963, and with the stripe from the era! I have a lot of Northern California duplicate plaques! I am keeping my NCCA stuff, but if someone ran with the Sacramento guys or the guys closer to the Tahoe area, I could probably sell them a decent event competition group of plaques, as I have a whole bunch of them from an Organizer of those events.

Bill Cook was that type of guy. When he switched from MGs to Corvettes, he organized some events! I have a 1965 Corvette film of an event he organized, drag racing at Lions drag strip! My Mother shot the film of my Father racing with other Corvettes, and then the balance is dragsters (front engine stuff for a total of 8 minutes!

I have like Dick Guldstrand’s personal plaque board, and haven’t even, wrote a list like from his career from that. I just lost interest!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 12-11-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Bill Cook 1960's/70's Southern California C2 Slalom Guy!