C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Grebs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1 Vibration

For the genius bar.
My 62 327/300 w/ Powerglide has developed a vibration when under load at just about any speed. The vibration is not easily noticeable and can be felt in the seat in the shifter arm. Feels a little like a washboard road. Wheel bearings, wheel balance, suspension are all pretty new and feel nice and tight.
Coincidently I occasionally get the sound of a wire wrapped around the drive shaft when driving slowly. This may or may not be related.
When I twist the drive shaft, the U-joints have no play but there's significant play at the yoke end of the drive shaft. Should there be nearly an 1/8" of play there?

Can this play cause a vibration of this type?
Joe
Old 10-08-2013, 09:05 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Even though you 'checked' the u-joints...they could be going bad or bad already...do hey have zerk's ?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:07 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Grebs
For the genius bar.
My 62 327/300 w/ Powerglide has developed a vibration when under load at just about any speed. The vibration is not easily noticeable and can be felt in the seat in the shifter arm. Feels a little like a washboard road. Wheel bearings, wheel balance, suspension are all pretty new and feel nice and tight.
Coincidently I occasionally get the sound of a wire wrapped around the drive shaft when driving slowly. This may or may not be related.
When I twist the drive shaft, the U-joints have no play but there's significant play at the yoke end of the drive shaft. Should there be nearly an 1/8" of play there?

Can this play cause a vibration of this type?
Joe
"nice and tight" u joints can be bad, i would drop the shaft for a look see and better inspection....
Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Not sure what sound you hear, it is from under the center of the car, or coming in eh window?

if you still have static collectors inside the wheel hubs, they will make noise at low speed if broken.

Doug
Old 10-08-2013, 11:31 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Some years ago I had a strange noise when going slow but usually only heard it when coasting. I turned out to be oversized returns springs on my rear brakes that were rubbing on the inner facing of the drums.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:33 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

if it's side-to-side play, i vote for the play in the yoke, there should little, if any...
Bill
Old 10-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Grebs
Instructor

Thanks guys,
I'll get it up on a lift soon and see what tight and what's not.
I too have a suspicion that it's the yoke. Does the tranny need to come down if it is the yoke?

joe
Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Nope, the driveshaft can be removed by unbolting the 2 U-bolts that hold the rear U-joint to the rear end pinion. Recommend that you align the rear u-joint so that the 2 cups on the pinion are horizontal. Then gently pry the U-joint cups forward (away from the pinion). This will allow you to angle the driveshaft down away from the pinion. At this point, take a 16" long piece of duct or wide masking tape and wrap it completely around the U-joint, trapping the cups to the U-joint.

NOTE: Do not let the cups fall off the U-joint!

You can now pull the driveshaft and front yoke out of the rear of the trans. Depending on the angle of the vehicle (better to be level or nose "down"), "some" trans fluid leakage may occur when you pull the yoke out.

Plasticman
Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 AM
Grebs
Instructor

Plasticman, AZ Doug, WmF, 66 Jack, Midyear and C1,

Turns out it was the front u joint. It started clicking and whining, along with the washboard vibration. That pretty much narrowed it down and made it about the easiest fix ever.
You guys are great, Thanks a million for giving the rest of us the opportunity to work on our own cars.
I wish the best to all of you!

Joe Greblo

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Vibration

Quick Reply: C1 Vibration