C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

BB PB booster inquiry

Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 AM
cmb645
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BB PB booster inquiry

Hey friends, someday I'll get done with this project. Now I have changed out my 66 505 valve covers in favor of the aluminum cast ones to take care of some oil leaks. The stock type stamped steel ones were already within 1/4" of the booster, and as is typical on this project, fixing one problem creates another. I have done a lot of research on the subject and have found a couple of possible solutions. One is the way too expensive for me hydro boost setup utilizing the PS pump. That would be my last resort, I didn't see a kit for less that 800 smackers. The other solution may be a thinner 9" booster as mentioned by Vic Z in his post a few years ago. I have pm'ed him, no response yet. Any idea where one could buy the thinner one? I also saw mention of the smaller diameter boosters, that may be option 3 if the thinner one falls flat. Currently I have the 67 type PB setup, and I believe the master cyl is 1 1/8" dia. Thanks in advance for your input.
charles
Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,927 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Do the cast valve covers have the slant on the drivers side to clear the PB
Old 10-13-2013, 01:52 PM
cmb645
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Do the cast valve covers have the slant on the drivers side to clear the PB
Yes, sorry I didn't mention that.
charles
Old 10-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,927 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Then there should be no problem. Unless you have tall deck engine
Old 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM
cmb645
Advanced

The bb valve covers do indeed interfere with the pb booster, they are a little taller than the stock stamped steel ones. It was very close to start with. The engine will not move down any because of my r&p, and I even looked at moving the body back some, but, there's no room there either. I've heard the electric system is great, but $1200 is too much. My choices are either a 7" dual booster or the hydro boost. I understand the brackets for the booster from Pirate Jacks are no longer available, I'm wondering if I could harvest the ones from this 67 pb booster and use them? It looks like the dual 7" boosters are readily available and would be the cheaper alternative, although not necessarily the best for psi, (I have Wilwood calipers). I guess my next question is the best place/price to buy the hydroboost unit. I have the 67 type pb unit on there now, how do I know if it is the short or long push rod on the master cyl? Ecklers has 2 of the hydroboost kits, a short rod one for about $800, and a long one for $870. I see where I would have to shim the top down a bit to clear the hood, but, it sure sticks out there a ways doesn't it? Your input is much appreciated.
charles
Old 10-20-2013, 01:56 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one I used in my '66 when I put in a 427 . It is in with the factory power MC and disks. With tall cast covers for the roller rockers the booster has about .25 inch of room on one of the mounting bolts.

The long vs. short rod can be checked by pulling off your MC. if where the rod from the booster engages is basically flush then it is a short rod MC. The long rod version has a deep hole drilled in the MC piston that the rod slides into.

The setup is not cheap but it looks nice, was the only thing that was going to fit in that location and stops the car 10x better then the original booster. The old '66 now feels like it stops every bit as well as my '10 Callaway Grand sport. Each will put your passenger through the windshield if not buckled in. Shoulder belts will be a must if you don't already have them.

No go on 8'' booster:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...r-install.html

Last edited by EDinPA; 10-20-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To BB PB booster inquiry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BB PB booster inquiry