C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New gas coming...

Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,091 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Default New gas coming...

Just an FYI...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ceW9Nc1...yer_detailpage
Old 08-18-2014, 02:22 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

That's very interesting, thanks for posting! What I find most troubling is that AAA is warning not to use E15 in pre 2012 cars, AND that all of the major car manufacturers are saying that the warranties will be void if you do!

I expect to hear some now say that this is just an over reaction and that AAA and the manufacturers are engaged in a conspiracy to discredit ethanol fuels..............

It will be interesting to see how the "usual suspects" respond to this....
Old 08-18-2014, 02:31 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

That's "OLD NEWS" (like two years ago), and still is nothing to rant about - very few station owners are going to spend another $100,000.00 to install a new tank for E15 when most of the cars on the road can't use it. E10 will be around until the ethanol lobby finally runs out of steam and the politicians and the EPA finally figure out they've been hoodwinked (again).
Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Default "phase separation" ???

What's new to me is the discussion of "phase separation" wherein it is stated that the ethanol settles at the bottom of the tanks and is drawn directly into the fuel system.

If that can happen with E15, why is it not also possible that it could be occurring with E10?
Old 08-18-2014, 04:23 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've given in and have started using ethanol free gas in all my collector cars. I went through a year of fuel pump and fuel tank h*ll.

The good thing is we have a lot of stations that carry ethanol free gas. RaceTrac is very big on ethanol free gasoline. At my local RaceTrac they have at least 8 ethanol free pumps. It usually costs about 25 cents more. It's also 90 octane. June fine for my old 283.

Richard Newton
Techie Car Stuff

Last edited by rfn026; 08-18-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Since we're on the subject (and I didn't want to start a new thread) I've been seeing
/hearing about the possibility of a "gasoline" made from propane. Now I'm not talking about the old school method of conversion, this is supposedly used and pumped directly into a conventional fuel tank. Does anyone have any knowledge of this stuff?
Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
What's new to me is the discussion of "phase separation" wherein it is stated that the ethanol settles at the bottom of the tanks and is drawn directly into the fuel system.

If that can happen with E15, why is it not also possible that it could be occurring with E10?
I didn't watch the utube but phase separation can/does happen with E 10 but this "expert" didn't really describe the situation. Do a search on "phase separation".

It used to happen to me before I learned to keep my stored gasoline sealed tightly instead of leaving the cap or vent open to atmosphere..

And yes, this is very old news.

Usual suspect.

Last edited by MikeM; 08-18-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Since we're on the subject (and I didn't want to start a new thread) I've been seeing
/hearing about the possibility of a "gasoline" made from propane. Now I'm not talking about the old school method of conversion, this is supposedly used and pumped directly into a conventional fuel tank. Does anyone have any knowledge of this stuff?
What they are talking about is the use of propane as refinery feed stocks instead of crude oil. Has more to do with the seasonal oversupply of propane that now exists due to fracking. They are simply looking for ways to use the product that is now in excess supply. The end result gasoline is the same . The only fly in this ointment is the wild price swings that propane makes depending on farmer requirements ( drying grains ) and winter temps ( how much people use to heat their homes in the winter ) It varies much more than crude . ------Ken

Get notified of new replies

To New gas coming...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New gas coming...