C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New project, not Corvette "70 Nova Pro Tour"

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Some updates

I have not updated this thread in awhile so I thought I would add some new pics of the progress. After getting the car at the desired ride height, it was clearly obvious that the 275/18 rubber just was not going to fit under a hard turn and suspension compression. Soooo, out came the air recip saw and sliced up the new fiberglass fenders!! They ultimately needed about 1 ¼” to provide all the needed clearance. Once they were pooched out, they were re-glassed and good to go. We also added some aluminum stiffeners to give the light weight glass some strength. Thanks to Mark Stielow for the hood vents, these are the same ones used on his last two creations and they fit nicely into the cowl hood and will get rid of some of the air packing under the hood and create some down force on the front of the car. We also got the front down bars fabbed and welded in where they are hidden under the fender and also provided the pick up point for the billet hood hinges. The glass bumpers have also been trimmed and tucked for a cleaner look. The car is currently at my Uncles body shop where I helped to get it prepped for blocking and final fitment. It’s looking pretty good and I am looking forward to seeing it in color soon. I also received the 300M gun drilled axles from Strange Engineering, super strong and nice and light!! Hopefully I can can this car done so I can get back on the 65 coupe project!!

R/
Jeff

Old 02-20-2014, 08:40 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
I have not updated this thread in awhile so I thought I would add some new pics of the progress. After getting the car at the desired ride height, it was clearly obvious that the 275/18 rubber just was not going to fit under a hard turn and suspension compression. Soooo, out came the air recip saw and sliced up the new fiberglass fenders!! They ultimately needed about 1 ¼” to provide all the needed clearance. Once they were pooched out, they were re-glassed and good to go. We also added some aluminum stiffeners to give the light weight glass some strength. Thanks to Mark Stielow for the hood vents, these are the same ones used on his last two creations and they fit nicely into the cowl hood and will get rid of some of the air packing under the hood and create some down force on the front of the car. We also got the front down bars fabbed and welded in where they are hidden under the fender and also provided the pick up point for the billet hood hinges. The glass bumpers have also been trimmed and tucked for a cleaner look. The car is currently at my Uncles body shop where I helped to get it prepped for blocking and final fitment. It’s looking pretty good and I am looking forward to seeing it in color soon. I also received the 300M gun drilled axles from Strange Engineering, super strong and nice and light!! Hopefully I can can this car done so I can get back on the 65 coupe project!!

R/
Jeff

Looking really great Jeff. Please say hey from me to Leroy when you talk to him next.

82 and sunny here in Port Saint Lucie. Heading back to VA tomorrow for a little bit. Will get together for a bullet while we are there.

Rich
Old 02-21-2014, 01:58 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
I have been eyeing the 65 to 67 variety but find most are 30 plus or need everything. Can't wait to see your Nova in paint and smoking tires. Keep up the good work.

Hmm, my son still has his first car, a '63 Chevy II two-door post sedan he got at 14 and spent five years building in our garage, doing everything but the $3000 (20 years ago) Metallic Aqua Lexus paint. It has a 390 SBC, Chevelle front discs, Currie 9 inch rear, frame connectors, 4 1/2" original Torq Thrusts in front with skinny tires, 7 1/2" rear with M/T street slicks, etc. The "street gasser" look, it trophies everywhere.

$30K plus? Hagerty only values it at $17,000! Maybe we need another appraisal?

Last edited by sub006; 02-25-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:14 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by sub006
Hmm, my son still has his first car, a '63 Chevy II two-door post sedan he got at 14 and spent five years building in our garage, doing everything but the $3000 (20 years ago) Metallic Aqua Lexus paint. It has a 390 SBC, Chevelle front discs, Currie 9 inch rear, frame connectors, 4 1/2" original Torq Thrusts in front with skinny tires, 7 1/2" reat with M/T street slicks, etc. The "street gasser" look, it trophies everywhere.

$30K plus? Hagerty only values it at $17,000! Maybe we need another appraisal?
Based on your description of the car, I would definitely get a second appraisal/quote from another insurance company. It's tough finding something half as nice as what you described for 17K

R/
Jeff
Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

BADBIRDCAGE,

I like all Novas from '62 through '79! Your car is VERY cool, one thing I like is all that performance in a "stealth" package that doesn't automatically attach cop cars to your back bumper. I doubt that 90+% of LEOs under 30 have any idea what a "Yenko" is...

I have a "bucket list" jones for a '63-'64 Nova wagon, just don't tell my Sting Ray...

Last edited by sub006; 02-24-2014 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Jeff,

Looking good! now hurry up and get to work on that coupe.

I know how it is when you get focused on one project, you ignore everything else! My coupe is probably less than 10 working hours from being totally complete, but since I started in on the 56 BelAir, I have not turned a tap on it.

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 02-24-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:56 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
BADBIRDCAGE,

I like all Novas from '62 through '79! Your car is VERY cool, one thing I like is all that performance in a "stealth" package that doesn't automatically attach cop cars to your back bumper. I doubt that 90+% of LEOs under 30 have any idea what a "Yenko" is...

I have a "bucket list" jones for a '63-'64 Nova wagon, just don't tell my Sting Ray...
SUB:

That car is 1CoolC2's project. I can only dream of it. I retired after 22 years as a federal LEO and I believe you are accurate in that the new kids on the LEO street block, excepting my Sergeant son on the VA Beach PD, would not have any clue as to what a Yenko supercar is. I have educated him well on classic cars. And how to treat their owners.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:09 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Jeff,

Looking good! now hurry up and get to work on that coupe.

I know how it is when you get focused on one project, you ignore everything else! My coupe is probably less than 10 working hours from being totally complete, but since I started in on the 56 BelAir, I have not turned a tap on it.

Regards, John McGraw

Amen John

This car has taken WAY more time and money than my Corvette did!! I kinda got carried away with all of the fabrication and mods on this thing, but it should be a really fun car when finished I have actually done some work on the 65 coupe and hope to sneak some time while the Nova is in for paint. I just have too many projects going on with the new shop building and getting our current property ready for sale. Looking forward to seeing your coupe all finished up, as always, you did a great job!!

R/
Jeff
Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Default Now in Paint!

Well, been awhile between updates......so here are a couple of sneak peak pics of the car in the paint booth. Color is 1970 Shadow gray. Stripe is a new take on the Yenko style with updated graphics. Cant wait to get it home and start putting it together!!

R/
Jeff

Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

That is bad azz!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Bitchin'!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:42 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Great choise on the color and graphics.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:09 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff your Nova is looking really cool. You may have to change your handle to One cool nova Too.
Are you going to try to make any of the optima qualifiers? It would really be a hit.

Jeff
Old 04-01-2014, 01:51 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Love that body style. My first car purchased in High School was a Nova SS. Still favor the style. Nice build.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
Jeff your Nova is looking really cool. You may have to change your handle to One cool nova Too.
Are you going to try to make any of the optima qualifiers? It would really be a hit.

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Yup, trying to get it done for the Motorstate challenge in July and a few other events this year. It will be a push, but that's the plan.

R/
Jeff
Old 04-01-2014, 08:26 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Jeff, if there was something cooler than cool this would be it!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That should be a good encientive to get her done. I seem to get a lot more done when there is a deadline looming.

Not to high jack your thread, just to let you know, I took my swc to the optima qualifier in Dallas last week and had a great time, but it was like taking a knife to a gun fight, now I'm hooked!

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To New project, not Corvette "70 Nova Pro Tour"

Old 04-02-2014, 06:56 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by firstgear
Jeff, if there was something cooler than cool this would be it!
Thanks Herb!! I hope it turns out well and does well on the track. How is that 63 coming along??

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
That should be a good encientive to get her done. I seem to get a lot more done when there is a deadline looming.

Not to high jack your thread, just to let you know, I took my swc to the optima qualifier in Dallas last week and had a great time, but it was like taking a knife to a gun fight, now I'm hooked!

Jeff
It really is motivating me to finish, but I have so many other things really pulling hard on my schedule....so we will see what happens. That's great you went and flogged the 63 at Dallas, and yes, there is some stiff competition at these events. I'm hoping we can get together at one of these events...it's been too long since we hung out at Chips Choice!!

R/
Jeff
Old 04-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Beautiful color Jeff!! This car is going to be awesome!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
That is bad azz!
Yup'pers! What he said...

Quick Reply: New project, not Corvette "70 Nova Pro Tour"