C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

reassigned identification number

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:06 PM
LARRYCOOK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reassigned identification number

When I got my car I noticed it had a re assigned vin number.Will this hurt the value of my car when i decide to sell it?My car is a 1966 convertible white in color.It has a 327 motor with a four speed. I cant tell if it's a matching number because the vin has been changed.The two letters on the block are HE.The vin has been re assigned by department of revenue,what is up with that?When i had all the title work done it went through DMV ok.I have a friend that has a 66 also he has a re assigned vin number also,is it common to see this on a mid year (c2) corvette. thanks for your input on this matter.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Mid years were highy targeted by theives. After they were stollen the state DMV issued a new vin. And yes a state issued vin hurt the value. Due to that reason about can't match anything. How much it devalues the car I can't give you a figure.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:38 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,330 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Yes it will hurt the value. To some buyers, a substantial %; to others, they wont consider the car at all.

Regarding your question about Revenue, it probably depends on the procedures of your state. What state is the car in, or was it from another state? Is the state issued VIN identified?

So, you didnt see the VIN plate or check the engine numbers until after you bought the car?
Old 01-04-2014, 03:53 PM
LARRYCOOK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checking vin

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Yes it will hurt the value. To some buyers, a substantial %; to others, they wont consider the car at all.

Regarding your question about Revenue, it probably depends on the procedures of your state. What state is the car in, or was it from another state? Is the state issued VIN identified?

So, you didnt see the VIN plate or check the engine numbers until after you bought the car?
yes I saw the vin had been re assigned.I still bought the car,I would rather it did not have a re assigned vin, the seller told me about it,the title work went through DMV ok,so I guess im happy.When i had DMV to inspect the car,they told me the car had been stolen one time and recovered.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

If you are going to drive the car and keep it you will have no problems, I would check with your insurance company about payoff with the Vin. You will have a smaller amount of people wanting to buy it when you sell it but you will find someone. Good Luck with the car

Get notified of new replies

To reassigned identification number

Quick Reply: reassigned identification number