C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

K and B Special Products TI Amplifier Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:38 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Default K and B Special Products TI Amplifier Module

This is long, but informative for those interested.....

I've been trying to reach K & B this morning and while I'm waiting to get in touch, I'd like some opinions about a TI problem I've encountered. This on a '65 Fuelie, fully restored, Top Flighted 2 years ago in Kissimmee.

As part of the restoration, we discovered a bad "early" repro TI module, circa 1974. It was totally dead with no output. Checked all TI related equipment like Dist pickup coil, harness, etc, all ok. TI Module was dead.

So I acquired a replacement made by K & B through my supplier. I've had good luck with these on 2 other installations. Great product.

When we installed the new module, engine fired right up, ran okay. A few test drives, not fully tested at all loads etc.Time was tight, adjusted FI unit, loaded up on the trailer and headed for Kissimmee. Engine had a slight surge at constant speeds, and a intermittent miss at rest at any rpm range. We thought it might be FI adjustment or maybe ignition but never nailed it down and found root cause.

Car sat for 2 years while health and personal issues of the owner took over life's plans. Now things are back to normal. Time to prep the car for Kissimmee again after fixing the little judging hits, etc, but it's not running up to par.

This weekend we spent all day Saturday and Sunday diagnosing. We wanted to find if "Fuel" or "Ignition", so we swapped in a non-TI dist, fired right up, ran GREAT on test drive. No surge, clean idle, etc. Okay, FI good, it's a TI problem. We ran through the Dave Fiedler tests, all checks out. The dist has a good magnet, and replaced TI pickup coil as part of the testing 2 years ago.

I pulled ti "New" TI module out, check all internal connections, Ohmed out and wiggled wire connections through the entire harness, everything good. I had my HP Oscilloscope ready to take some operational readings, and wished we had a known good TI module to try. Well, the owner had the original AC Delco Amp sitting in a box. it was THE ORIGINAL MODULE. I said , let's try it.

I installed it in the case, rested it on the fender(it's a PITA to install in a '65) all wired up and jumpered for case-ground etc. Fired right up and ran GREAT. The 49 year old Delco Module worked perfectly. The miss was gone and the ignition was perfect.

Now........I have a 2 year old when received DOA TI module. I'm going to contact them, for 2 reasons......

- We need a backup module for the road trip to Kissimme next week. I need to get another K & B Module, install it and have the AC Delco unit as a spare for the trip. I don't know what their warranty is, and trying to reach them. I understand we should have figured this out 2 years ago, but we couldn't. Car was sleeping. Regardless, we need another one ASAP, Warranty or not.

- I suspect K & B would like this module back for analysis and testing. It's a subtle problem. It runs the engine but my gut feel is that internal module timing is at fault, causing the miss and erratic operation at speed. I should have plugged my scope in to get some data but we're strapped for time over the weekend.

Have any TI users had failures of ANY kind with the K & B TI module?

I have never heard of any faults with their products.

Rich
ps added pics, 2 of the K & B module, and of a old damaged AC Delco unit from a '67 I had on the shelf, saving for parts.
Attached Images     

Last edited by rich5962; 01-13-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Cant help with your questions, but I have a new Module if you need it fast.
geopar@gvtc.com
Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

George, Thanks very much. I have a call into K & B and also to Zip to get somewhere, hopefully today. If I get nowhere by tonight I may take you up on buying yours.

Thanks!
Rich
Old 01-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Rich does K&B make it or did Electric Limited make it? I might be needing to buy one and would like to get it from the source
Old 01-13-2014, 01:19 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Light constant surging or light miss at speed while cruising sounds like too much vacuum advance pulling in - very typical symptom of that. But - I couldn't explain why it would go away when trying the original module with your TI distributor.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Rich does K&B make it or did Electric Limited make it? I might be needing to buy one and would like to get it from the source
K&B makes it for most vendors, including LL. LL used to get another mfr'rs unit years ago. It wasn't the best. I see they have the K&B on their site now. Pics below & extra info.

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Light constant surging or light miss at speed while cruising sounds like too much vacuum advance pulling in - very typical symptom of that. But - I couldn't explain why it would go away when trying the original module with your TI distributor.
Dan, We pulled our hair out on this. When we replaced the distributor with a points type, problem immediately disappeared. Vac can specs were identical, and both dizzys' vac cans tested. Start at 5"Hg, all in at 8"Hg. Measured vac at manifold, 11"Hg.

Went back to TI setup, problem immediately came back. Swapped the TI modules.....fixed.

It's a subtle, but noticeable failure in the module.

Rich

BTW....http://kandbcorvetteproducts.com/corvette/ignition/
Attached Images    

Last edited by rich5962; 01-13-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
could be 'smoothing'/interpolation or some other aberration inherent in a new design or componets of the repro; or not.... ie: it could control the timing differently.

OR, maybe the module is toast...

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 01-13-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:13 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Okay, Ken at K & B called me back around 2:30 today. I filled him in on the failure mode.

He then said, "Lifetime Warranty, send it back and we'll get another out to you right away".

So I wrapped it up, slapped a Priority mail insured label on it, and dropped it off at the Post Office at 3:30 this afternoon. It'll be there Wednesday and I should get the replacement by Friday.

Excellent Customer Service, so any of you folks thinking about buying K & B products, kudos to them.

Also thanks to JT Stafford at Zip Products for making a call to Ken also. I bought this from Zip 2+ years ago

Rich

edit.......just a update that I received the new module on Friday just like Ken promised. All set !!!

Last edited by rich5962; 01-18-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

I rebuilt those amps for years and I have found a lot of the time the problem turned out to be a bad ground to the amp case mounted to the fiberglass panel the behind the grill. here is the amp tester I built back then,
Attached Images  

Last edited by PAmotorman; 04-13-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:31 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Ran into this with a Mopar ignition box, swapped polarity of the trigger wires and it was fine.

Dan
Old 04-14-2017, 04:16 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dplotkin
Ran into this with a Mopar ignition box, swapped polarity of the trigger wires and it was fine.

Dan
that is why the GM TI pickup coil has a fine line green stripe on one wire so you don't get them mixed up.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:40 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Wow, old thread. I forgot all about this one. I remember that test set you had, very nice.

Yes the pickup coil polarity is important and can be easily swapped if one takes the 2 terminal connector apart.

Some time ago I built a basic but effective bench test using a TI distributor to test several modules and do some experiments. I tested a original failed Delco module and was the main reason for the test setup, and curiosity. I found the failure with the Delco module and repaired it. I also tested both K&B and M&H modules for some further testing. Then my old Tek scope died. A Corvette acquaintance donated a brand new storage scope to me so I could continue my testing.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:44 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

I use a DPDT relay instead of a distributor to fire the TI amp.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:55 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Clever idea.

I was thinking of getting a signal generator but borrowed that distributor instead.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To K and B Special Products TI Amplifier Module

Quick Reply: K and B Special Products TI Amplifier Module