C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 Dash Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM
cwalley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1960 Dash Installation Question

I have installed a new dash in a 1960 corvette but I have a question about finishing it off. I have not trimmed the excess off of areas around the dash end caps or under the cluster because I'm uncertain about exactly where to cut. If someone could post some photos of how it should look when trimmed it would help me a lot.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

I usually gut the underdash so it tucks into the sides of the brake support bracket above the steering column.

The dash end cap vinyl gets trimmed when test fitting the caps. Trim off excess, then install the cap. scribe the edges of the cap, then remove it. Trim the vinyl just inside your scribe marks so it's hidden when the cap is finally installed.

For the kickpanel piping trim, measure where it will fit under the bottom of the dash end cap. Remove some stitches from the piping, and remove the foam at the edge of where it fits under the cap. lay the piping under the bottom of the cap, then install the cap so it captures the piping under it.

A few pics below, but not close up. Others may have some better pics.

Rich
Attached Images      
Old 01-23-2014, 06:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

A tough spot is to get the top of the repro pads at the end caps wrinkle free (mine are not after my installation)...of course Rich's are perfect - naturally.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:21 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
A tough spot is to get the top of the repro pads at the end caps wrinkle free (mine are not after my installation)...of course Rich's are perfect - naturally.
Not always!

The '58-'59's use that funky stainless flat cap thingy that's even worse. What a PITA it is to make it look presentable. Thankfully you can only see it for a few seconds gettin' in and out of the car.
Attached Images     
Old 01-23-2014, 03:42 PM
cwalley
Instructor

Thanks for the advice and photos. I tried going on line to view photos of interiors but never found one that had the right angle or closeup detail to show me exactly how it should be. Once again this Forum comes through. You all are great. And thanks for the advice on how to address the piping trim - that was another issue I was thinking through.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:53 PM
cwalley
Instructor

The photo does bring up another question related to the door panel. The stainless insert appears to wrap around at the back end of the panel. When I put the stainless in place just to see what I might have to do, the stainless was longer than the panel. I assume I just carefully wrap it around the end of the panel. Right?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

I think you're talking about the aluminum(dimpled) panel, not the SS trim, right?

If so, then yes, it wraps around the edge of the door panel so the edge is rounded and sharp edges are hidden behind when the panel is installed.

Rich
Old 01-24-2014, 09:10 AM
cwalley
Instructor

Originally Posted by rich5962
I think you're talking about the aluminum(dimpled) panel, not the SS trim, right?

If so, then yes, it wraps around the edge of the door panel so the edge is rounded and sharp edges are hidden behind when the panel is installed.

Rich
Rich,
RIght - it is aluminum not stainless. Thanks for the advice.
CW

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 Dash Installation Question

Quick Reply: 1960 Dash Installation Question