C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A.O. Smith Or St. Louis Trim tag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 AM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Default A.O. Smith Or St. Louis Trim tag?

Ok, So in my thirst for knowledge and this comes from the black 67 L71 in the for sale section, how do you tell if you have an A.O. smith body or a St. Louis trim tag? Ive got a small block car that im turning into a big block tribute to my late father, so if anybody wants info on my car, h*ll Ill send pics of the tags to you. I have no intention of trying to sell my car as a big block, as my car is never going to be for sale. And even if it was, I wouldn't misrepresent it anyway!

This is strictly so I can look at trim tags and tell if its an A.O. smith or St. Louis car.

Thanks
Tony
Old 02-19-2014, 12:38 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

On your trim tag...If theres an 'S' besides the body number its a St Louis car...

Mine is S2652

Last edited by 66jack; 02-19-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
On your trim tag...If theres an 'S' besides the body number its a St Louis car...

Mine is S2652

If it's a A O SMITH it will start with A
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Yes!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack

And if there is an "A" beside the body number it is an A. O. Smith built body. (BTW, disregard the switch ingloriously installed in that trim tag!!)

Jack, perhaps to make this a little more clear to some folks out there that are new to Corvettes, all are St. Louis cars, but some are A.O.Smith built bodies that were shipped to St. Louis to become St Louis built cars. It's a small distinction but some out there still don't understand.

Cheers.

Thomas
Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 69z28&ss396
Ok, So in my thirst for knowledge and this comes from the black 67 L71 in the for sale section, how do you tell if you have an A.O. smith body or a St. Louis trim tag? Ive got a small block car that im turning into a big block tribute to my late father, so if anybody wants info on my car, h*ll Ill send pics of the tags to you. I have no intention of trying to sell my car as a big block, as my car is never going to be for sale. And even if it was, I wouldn't misrepresent it anyway!

This is strictly so I can look at trim tags and tell if its an A.O. smith or St. Louis car.

Thanks
Tony
For 1967 model, big block cars were built with St Louis bodies, so the BB cars should all have "S" Trim Tags. This had to do with AOS problems/issues with the BB hood stripes.

IT COULD BE POSSIBLE (in my opinion) for a few of the very first BB cars produced to have come from AOS, and the hoods redone at St Louis body shop. But these would be late August 1966 or early September 1966 built cars. They would likely have VINs below 500 (or so). If you discover one of these, then let's talk again.

Larry
Old 02-19-2014, 10:38 AM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Do collectors value one body over the other or are they both about the same?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by C2Jeff
Don't know about the collectors value, but had read that there was quite a bit of inter agency rivalry, where the St. Louis plant disparaged and found many faults with the AO Smith bodies. Guess it was cutting them out of some work.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:06 AM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BB767

And if there is an "A" beside the body number it is an A. O. Smith built body. (BTW, disregard the switch ingloriously installed in that trim tag!!)

Jack, perhaps to make this a little more clear to some folks out there that are new to Corvettes, all are St. Louis cars, but some are A.O.Smith built bodies that were shipped to St. Louis to become St Louis built cars. It's a small distinction but some out there still don't understand.

Cheers.

Thomas

Hey -- somebody switched your trim tag
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by midstyle
Hey -- somebody switched your trim tag

Thomas
Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Jeff
Nope, has no effect on the value one way or the other.
Also, no Smith car ever had factory sidepipes, only the St-Louis plant had the big stamping press to notch the birdcage for sidepipe cars.
So whenever you see a Smith car with pipes, you know right away it weren't born that way.

Paul
Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 AM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Besides the trim plate, how do you tell an A.O. body from a St Louis body?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
Here is a post from John taken from a thread back in '07.

"About the only difference between an A.O. Smith body and a St. Louis body is that the steel reinforcements riveted to the underbody and the radiator support were primed with green zinc chromate on A.O. Smith bodies, vs. dip-primed black on St. Louis bodies, and A.O. Smith used different rivets where the upper door hinge reinforcement attached to the door inner panel. A.O. Smith bodies had NO additional parts or reinforcements.

For option restrictions, no sidepipe bodies were built at A.O. Smith - only one set of hydraulic die tooling for notching the sills was built, and it was installed at St. Louis; not one A.O. Smith body with sidepipes has ever been documented. Also, it's generally agreed that no '67 big-block bodies were built at A.O. Smith after the first few weeks of '67 production.

I wrote a photo-illustrated tech article on the history and body build process at A.O. Smith in the June, 2006 issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine (800-448-3611 for back issues). It's also available for viewing or download at BarryK's site - scroll down to "Misc.", and it's "AOSmith.pdf". "

Here is the link to thee whole thread, some interesting reading.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...lt-bodies.html

Paul
Old 02-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,940 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
If the car does not have power windows a St. Louis body will have dimples in the jams for the p/w where as A O Smith it's smoth. There are other little clues as well. And as to a value to one or anther I think the St. Louis body wins becouse you can add side pipes and make it look factory and a bb unlike a smith body
Old 02-19-2014, 02:52 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
If the car does not have power windows a St. Louis body will have dimples in the jams for the p/w where as A O Smith it's smoth. There are other little clues as well. And as to a value to one or anther I think the St. Louis body wins becouse you can add side pipes and make it look factory and a bb unlike a smith body
The front clip was assembled on a separate jig at A O Smith thus the side body line is straighter on a AO Smith car. If you site down from the front you will see a straight line from the point the 'corner' ends on the front fender through the door. On St. Louis cars there is a 'bow' about where the front wheel wells are. Of course this may not be true after front end body work has been done

The AO Smith body is also a slightly different width, that can become apparent when trying to fit a deck lid from a AO Smith car to a St Louis car.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by A-Snake
The front clip was assembled on a separate jig at A O Smith thus the side body line is straighter on a AO Smith car.
So was the front clip at St. Louis - the only difference was that A.O. Smith included the front fender lower (gill) panel in the front clip bonding fixture, and St. Louis didn't - they installed that panel on the main line after installing the front clip on the body.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:33 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
So was the front clip at St. Louis - the only difference was that A.O. Smith included the front fender lower (gill) panel in the front clip bonding fixture, and St. Louis didn't - they installed that panel on the main line after installing the front clip on the body.
Thanks John, didn't know it was the gill panel install that 'created' the difference.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

My 67 has an S beside the body number.. Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Get notified of new replies

To A.O. Smith Or St. Louis Trim tag?

Quick Reply: A.O. Smith Or St. Louis Trim tag?