C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dash repair South Florida?

Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Dash repair South Florida?

Hey guys,
Anyone know of a decent dash repair place in South Florida? I just bought a car and the driver's side dash pad has a crack in it. Instead of replacing it (won't match the passenger side, need to remove gauge cluster, glove box door, radio, radio side panels, etc) I would prefer to simply have it repaired. I know they do this, I just don't know of a place in South Florida. It's not an NCRS car, I just bought a really nice (looking) driver....(I won't get it until next week). Any help is appreciated, as always.
ARA
Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't know of a place but you should know that many such cracks are due to the failure of the underlying supportive material and degradation of the the top vinyl. You could get this crack fixed and get several more very quickly in the Florida heat and sun. Also, once you are far enough into the replacement of the driver's side you are 98% of the distance to also replace the passenger side....then they'll match just fine...

The trick is to pull the whole dash...not that bad a job at all...then everything is right in front of you...
Old 03-05-2014, 04:06 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

How does one actually repair a cracked dash other than to replace it?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Jeff
How does one actually repair a cracked dash other than to replace it?
There are many guys who make their living making calls to various new and used car dealerships. They do repairs on trade-ins.

They repair rips in vinyl and leather, holes in fabric upholstery, damage to carpets, vinyl roofs, .. etc.

Chuck
Old 03-05-2014, 04:43 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

cracks can be repaired. this car is a nice driver, not an NCRS car so I really wanted to avoid drilling the rivets and replacing the pad as I do not have any matching paint to paint the tabs with if I replaced it.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:57 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Stop by a couple of used car dealers and ask who they use, one or two names will probably be all you need to find someone to do it.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 PM
lqpappy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I got a name from my Lexus dealer a few years back. My wife shut the passenger door with the seat belt in a bad spot and made a small tear in the leather on the door panel, hard to see but I knew it was there. The Lexus dealer suggested we try the repair. It was great I couldn't find the spot knowing where it was, perfect match and not expensive.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

I just Googled it and found these: http://www.qualityleatherrepair.com/

http://leatherrepairmiami.blogspot.c...er-repair.html
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello

the previous owner took out the dash and "repaired it" not it has four other cracks in it now....IMHO its not worth fixing (dry rot, sun damage) best to take it out and replace them.

Funny it spends most of its life inside sealed garage (no windows) and its stilled is cracking...

Good Luck
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
cracks can be repaired. this car is a nice driver, not an NCRS car so I really wanted to avoid drilling the rivets and replacing the pad as I do not have any matching paint to paint the tabs with if I replaced it.
Our mutual friend, Richard V, recently had a tear in his 67 seat repaired by a local repairman. The guy came to his house.

He got his name from a local dealership, Eagle Buick GMC in Homosassa/Crystal River. I don't know if he would travel down your way.

Worth a try... Call Richard V.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To Dash repair South Florida?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash repair South Florida?