C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

This maybe a stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default This maybe a stupid question

Hello

I looked at my differential carrier. The carrier bolt have worn and oblong holes in the carrier. I have a 1964 carrier that has two welded washers on each side.

My question is...how much of a PITA will this be to swap the old carrier for the new carrier..

Somehow the "easy stuff" is always a PITA

Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 AM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked!!

It's not an easy job. All of the obvious stuff -- spring, halfshafts, driveshaft, etc., have to be disconnected. The diff is attached to the crossmember with "blind" bolts. They're coming in from the top and can't be reached. Some people remove the crossmember and diff as a unit. Only two bolts holding the crossmember, but getting the crossmember off the bushings that it attaches to is a multi-beer job. It may be a good idea though; your bushings are probably in need of replacement after all these years.

Some people, so I've heard, have drilled holes in the floor in the back of the passenger compartment to get at the diff mounting bolts without removing the crossmember.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

It will get you more focused help if you title your thread something pertaining to your question. "stupid question", or "help" as an entire title may not attract the expert you need and makes it difficult for you and anyone else trying to search for similar help to find that help. Everyone complains about the effectiveness of search on the forum, and using titles that define your issue would help with that.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Is this the piece you're referring to?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Is this the piece you're referring to?

Hello Chuck

Yes that is the piece I'm talking about
Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there is a procedure in the shop manual for cutting a hole in the jack well behind the seats to get one the Long bolt(s) out. It applied just to early C2's (63-64?).

To pull the snubber bolt, pull the driveshaft first. You should be able to get a wrench on the bolt then.

You can avoid cutting the hole, if you're willing to do enough disassembly to drop the rear crossmember, then only the snubber bolt needs to come out.

Be patient, it's just nuts and bolts...

Harry

Edit.. I should have added that it MAY be possible to swap the rear end out by pulling just the snubber bolt and splitting the housing by pulling the 8 bolts that connect the cover to the rest of the assembly. You'll have to get the exhaust system, the halfshafts and strut rod bracket out of the way first.

Last edited by 66since71; 03-11-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I've pulled rear ends by reaching over the X member and removing the 4 5/8" bolts with a 6 point socket.

You have to balance the rear on a floor jack.........then lower it down.

Chuck

PS: I gotta think about this.

IIRC, you've got one bolt that goes all the way through, and 2 bolts that screw into the housing itself. Sound right?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
I've pulled rear ends by reaching over the X member and removing the 4 5/8" bolts with a 6 point socket.

You have to balance the rear on a floor jack.........then lower it down.

Chuck

PS: I gotta think about this.

IIRC, you've got one bolt that goes all the way through, and 2 bolts that screw into the housing itself. Sound right?
Yes you are right...two bolts that screw into the house...Looks like the rear end needs to be taken out
Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Dougs63
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

You will need to modify the later part with the two holes for the Parking Brake cable bracket.

In restoring my '63 vert. - I found my holes were oblong as well. I modified a later diff. carrier identical to one shown here with the washers - one of the few not original rear suspension parts on my car.

Get notified of new replies

To This maybe a stupid question

Quick Reply: This maybe a stupid question