C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Frame Preservation

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:34 PM
chuckaroo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Preservation

Hi
Working on a 66 coupe and my attention is now on a good frame undercoating. Researched the internet and the Forum and seems the products most often mentioned was Por 15 and Chassis Saver. Seems they are about equal but when someone has a problem with either one I start to worry. They say in short time it has a tendency to peal off in sheets. Any one have long term experience with either product and what is recommended. Thanks
BTW my frame already has surface rust.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:23 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Are you going to clean the frame to bare metal? If not, then nothing is going to last. I like a good quality epoxy followed by a top coat. I had bad luck with the POR 15 top coat i used recently. It is resistant to gas and brake fluid, but scratches and chips very easily.
Eastwoods chassis black is a better product and is pretty chip resistant.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Eastwoods' Internal Frame Treatment is excellent for inside the metal. I used 6 cans of the stuff on my split window coupe but coated the snot out of the inside of my frame. It includes extension tubes to reach everywhere.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:01 PM
BAmacker
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckaroo
what is recommended.
I wouldn't use either, I'd paint the frame like it was done at the factory. If you don't drive it in the salt it will outlive you. You mention surface rust, get a grinder with some HD wire wheels and wheel it off. I'm assuming the body is still on. You can get fussy and use some specialty frame paint, or I just used black acrylic enamel from a gun. It looks great.

Rustproofing especially reeks of a crappy quality restoration in my opinion. It's used by butchers to cover up rust, poor welds, repairs, etc.

Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Then you must not like the zinc-chromate greenish-yellow paint used by the factory on these cars - that's exactly what it was ... rust-proofing...
Old 03-25-2014, 05:40 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

I think he is more or less referring to people spraying undercoating all over the frame.

If you strip it down to bare metal, you really can't beat a good black epoxy such as SPI to keep the frame fresh and rust free. If you reduce it just a little, it will be the correct semi flat color.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckaroo
Hi
Working on a 66 coupe and my attention is now on a good frame undercoating. Researched the internet and the Forum and seems the products most often mentioned was Por 15 and Chassis Saver. Seems they are about equal but when someone has a problem with either one I start to worry. They say in short time it has a tendency to peal off in sheets. Any one have long term experience with either product and what is recommended. Thanks
BTW my frame already has surface rust.
My comments are NOT directed to anyone who has replied to this post....so I am NOT writing about YOU....OK.

From years of experience...
EVERYONE can comment on what they used and if it worked or failed. And I honestly can tell you that more times than not...if a product failed...it had to do with POOR PREP. OR...the person chose to neglected step in the prep and wonder why the product failed. SO..I usually do not read into "bad comments" from people....and take them as FACT. There are so many variables when people use products that just a few of these variables NOT being addressed can cause a failure...AND YES...sometimes the product is bad itself due to being out-of-date, frozen or exposed to intense sunlight or "whatever".

All I will write is this...regardless on what you choose to use...it is ALL in the PREP. And THAT is the THAT. I have written numerous times in previous posts. It IS that 1/1,000,000th of an inch of crap that is on the surface of a part being painted or "whatever" is what will cause adhesion failure.

DUB
Old 03-26-2014, 03:04 PM
chuckaroo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for your comments.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:42 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Eastwoods' Internal Frame Treatment is excellent for inside the metal. I used 6 cans of the stuff on my split window coupe but coated the snot out of the inside of my frame. It includes extension tubes to reach everywhere.
Before you sprayed, did you prep/blast the inside?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
My comments are NOT directed to anyone who has replied to this post....so I am NOT writing about YOU....OK.

From years of experience...
EVERYONE can comment on what they used and if it worked or failed. And I honestly can tell you that more times than not...if a product failed...it had to do with POOR PREP. OR...the person chose to neglected step in the prep and wonder why the product failed. SO..I usually do not read into "bad comments" from people....and take them as FACT. There are so many variables when people use products that just a few of these variables NOT being addressed can cause a failure...AND YES...sometimes the product is bad itself due to being out-of-date, frozen or exposed to intense sunlight or "whatever".

All I will write is this...regardless on what you choose to use...it is ALL in the PREP. And THAT is the THAT. I have written numerous times in previous posts. It IS that 1/1,000,000th of an inch of crap that is on the surface of a part being painted or "whatever" is what will cause adhesion failure.

DUB
Well Said!

Get notified of new replies

To Frame Preservation

Quick Reply: Frame Preservation