C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil Filter Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:11 PM
jroutt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Filter Conversion Question

I am thinking of purchasing an adapter to convert my 283/315 hp to a spin off filter. I see that there is a oil bypass adapter as well. Do I need both and how does this work?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

What are you trying to gain. The canister worked great for the last 60+ years. In fact a lot of new cars are using canister filters again
Old 04-17-2014, 08:30 PM
jroutt
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
What are you trying to gain. The canister worked great for the last 60+ years. In fact a lot of new cars are using canister filters again
Seems like a quicker and less messy change.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You can make the same amount of a mess with a spin on as well
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by jroutt
I am thinking of purchasing an adapter to convert my 283/315 hp to a spin off filter. I see that there is a oil bypass adapter as well. Do I need both and how does this work?
Yes, you need the bypass...it bolts on and then your adapter with o-ring...then the filter....make sure the 'thin' o-ring is on correctly or you will develop a leak...\

Make sure the bypass is for your small block and not a 350...they are very different...

Last edited by 66jack; 04-17-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Here is what I use on my 283ci and 327ci cars:
The adapter will take the NAPA-1060 Gold or the NAPA-1794 2 qt truck filter. Yes, the canisters work but you better make d@mn sure you know how to remove the old gasket/O-ring and install the new one...

I dumped 4-1/2 qts of oil on the highway and then put adapters in both classics.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
oil_filter_adapter.pdf (31.5 KB, 490 views)
Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The adapter will take the NAPA-1060 Gold or the NAPA-1794 2 qt truck filter. Yes, the canisters work but you better make d@mn sure you know how to remove the old gasket/O-ring and install the new one...

I dumped 4-1/2 qts of oil on the highway and then put adapters in both classics.
Hey that's funny your talking about that just changed oil today
Got the Fram PH -30 and tried it on the adapter it didn't feel right got the 1060 it felt right and used it put 5 quarts in and the stick said
I was 1/2 Quart over .Small blocks take 5 or 5.2 the stick has to be wrong.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
You can make the same amount of a mess with a spin on as well
I agree.
I have had many C1 and C2 Corvettes and have never had a problem with the canister type filters.
If you change the filter correctly, use a new square O ring you should not have any problems.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:31 PM
jroutt
Racer

Originally Posted by ohiovet
I agree.
I have had many C1 and C2 Corvettes and have never had a problem with the canister type filters.
If you change the filter correctly, use a new square O ring you should not have any problems.
The last time I cranked my car the filter dumped half of the oil on my shop floor and yes, this kind of spooked me and this is the real reason I am going to use an adapter. I think it could be blamed on the gasket that was likely an import but why take a chance. If I had been on the road I might have fried an engine because you don't watch the oil pressure 100% of the time. Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
Hey that's funny your talking about that just changed oil today
Got the Fram PH -30 and tried it on the adapter it didn't feel right got the 1060 it felt right and used it put 5 quarts in and the stick said
I was 1/2 Quart over .Small blocks take 5 or 5.2 the stick has to be wrong.

Frankie, I'm using the same adapter on my 427. It will also take a Fram PH13 filter. I blocked the bypass valve in the valve adapter while I was at it. The printed instructions are a bit off. The installation seems to go a bit more reliably when the outer o-ring is put on the bypass plate so it contacts the upper surface of the adapter (it sticks out of the adapter just enough to slip the o-ring on it) before pushing the whole assembly up into the filter recess in the block.

To answer Nowhere man's question, what's to gain? Beside the fact that installing a spin on filter correctly is much easier than a canister, current versions of canister filter inserts are made essentially the same way they were 60 years ago. Those new car canister filter inserts aren't available in PF-141 versions yet. Spin-on filters have improved considerably since their 1968 introduction on Chevy motors. New spin on filters are just plain better than a continuation of a 60 year old filter design.

So, like everything else with these cars, for a correct restoration or for those of you who want to keep your car as original as possible, by all means keep what came on it from the factory. No argument there. But quit justifying that decision on the basis that certain technology improvements are not better than the 60 year old stuff. That's just not correct.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You have to be REAL careful with FRAM filters - at one time it was one of the most counterfeited products in the USA and the knock-offs were crap. I believe NAPA filters are just re-branded WIX products which are very good. I installed my adapter per the directions - there are two schools of thought on how much value the bypass adds but I chose to do what the Mr. Gasket instructions showed.

I'm sure a few oil changes with the original canisters would have made me a pro in no time. But, I nearly lost an engine due to the one on my '61 and only my vigilance watching the oil pressure gauge saved an original 270hp 283ci engine...thank goodness.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:09 AM
jroutt
Racer

You have to be REAL careful with FRAM filters - at one time it was one of the most counterfeited products in the USA and the knock-offs were crap. I believe NAPA filters are just re-branded WIX products which are very good. I installed my adapter per the directions - there are two schools of thought on how much value the bypass adds but I chose to do what the Mr. Gasket instructions showed.

I'm sure a few oil changes with the original canisters would have made me a pro in no time. But, I nearly lost an engine due to the one on my '61 and only my vigilance watching the oil pressure gauge saved an original 270hp 283ci engine...thank goodness.
My Mr. Gasket #1270 will be at the local NAPA store tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

No question, the canister is correct and original. Sometimes, in some cases, original is not better.
I only have one engine that still came with the canister type filter and I have no desire to use it. I much prefer to use the adapter and spin-on filter!
When a 67-older engine is converted to a spin-on filter, the ORIGINAL style adapter/check valve needs to be retained. The filter pad on the 67-earlier and 68-later blocks is completely different, thus, the filter adapters are different.
These 2 pictures show the difference in early-late filter pad differences.

These 2 pictures show back side of the the early adapter and its check valve, and how it looks in the filter pad.

This shows a comparrison of the early and late adapters.

When using the spin-on adapter, the rubber O-ring that is used with a canister is used to seal the spin-on adapter. It fits in the gap between the side of the filter pad and the early adapter just the same as it does with the canister.
The following users liked this post:
dewhurstaj (12-30-2015)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:38 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I installed the spin on adapter back in 1980 when I lost 3 qts of oil after changing when using the canister unit. I still have the canister but it just sits in the spare parts area.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:41 PM
dewhurstaj
Advanced

Default Oil Filter Adapter Snafu

66 427 with oil filter adapter. I want to rule out the adapter as a possible assignable cause for a leak source. I have the enclosed adapter. Does this adapter require a gasket to be replaced periodically?
Are the replacement gaskets readily available?
Thanks!
Andy
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2015, 04:01 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
I installed the spin on adapter back in 1980 when I lost 3 qts of oil after changing when using the canister unit. I still have the canister but it just sits in the spare parts area.
Similar experience -- only it was 4-1/2 qts of oil. Lucky I didn't scorch a bearing... I'm reluctantly putting the canister back on temporarily for judging -- but I ain't happy about it
Old 12-31-2015, 09:43 PM
HP Hunter
Advanced

Originally Posted by dewhurstaj
66 427 with oil filter adapter. I want to rule out the adapter as a possible assignable cause for a leak source. I have the enclosed adapter. Does this adapter require a gasket to be replaced periodically?
Are the replacement gaskets readily available?
Thanks!
Andy
That adapter in your picture above wont work on a 66 block.

Harry

Last edited by HP Hunter; 12-31-2015 at 09:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Filter Conversion Question

Old 01-01-2016, 08:20 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Similar experience -- only it was 4-1/2 qts of oil. Lucky I didn't scorch a bearing... I'm reluctantly putting the canister back on temporarily for judging -- but I ain't happy about it
This is weird check this out looks different from what I have seen used with original canister
I piece unit front band back side taken off my old 327 engine . Then I installed the spin on filter.
Attached Images   

Last edited by rtruman; 01-01-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:03 PM
dewhurstaj
Advanced

Default Oil filter adapter in use since march 1977

Originally Posted by HP Hunter
That adapter in your picture above wont work on a 66 block.

Harry
Harry,

It has been in there since I purchased the car in March 1977. It maybe leaking now but worked fine for many years. I have enclosed an actual pic of the adapter. If anyone sees anything incorrect please let me know.
Thanks!
Andy
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2016, 04:38 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 382 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by dewhurstaj
Harry,

It has been in there since I purchased the car in March 1977. It maybe leaking now but worked fine for many years. I have enclosed an actual pic of the adapter. If anyone sees anything incorrect please let me know.
Thanks!
Andy
Looks like you have a 68 and later block???? See DZAUTO's pictures above.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Conversion Question