C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1956 to 1962 Window Fuzzies & Channels Repair Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:49 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Default More stapling of fuzzies to trims

After all holes are drilled, insert staples in each location. Remove the tape from the backside of the fuzzie.

I use small ViceGrip pliers to squeeze and preset the staple from the felt side against the inside of the trim. On the backside I bend the ends of the staple outward, then give them a good press with flat pliers.

After all staples are installed, scruff up the felt around the staple a bit the flatten them out.

Test fit into the door post. Adjust any bends if necessary. Note that the outer trim assembly must be worked carefully to get the trim over the post and the fuzzie bead into the front channel bead. The inner reveal rests on the post end so it goes on easier.

More to come later.
Attached Images       

Last edited by rich5962; 05-03-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:53 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Here are some photos with the glass used as a test. The front frame of this window glides easily past the corners and fits well. Because I removed that thick area at each fuzzie corner there is no resistance to bind up the frame. At the rear end of the fuzzies, the frame may bind slightly.

A area that can bind is where the fuzzie tip meets and overlaps the front channel tips. if this happens to you, carefully spread the beads outward, and carefully squeeze the beads around the channel tips. This is a tight area using the reproduction fuzzies as their tip beads are quite large.

After time, the glass frames, front channel felt and the glass fuzzies will become more used to each other and the felt will wear to become more relaxed.

In summary, this task takes some time and requires patience. Hopefully this method I use can help you tackle it yourself in the future. Once you do one set, the other side is easy.

Next up will be restoring the rear window channels and installing new thinner felt. After that I will be taking the windows apart from their frames, polishing, then installing new seals.

Rich
Attached Images       

Last edited by rich5962; 05-04-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:25 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Default Different trims for Different Years

I was speaking to someone the other day who's restoring his '58, and he mentioned he wasn't sure about his window trims and what the installation procedure was.

Note that the outer stainless steel trim and fuzzie assembly must be installed on the door before the window glass frame is installed. This must be done as the outer trim must be fastened to the door with either the early '56 to mid '59 retainers, or the 59 to 62 retainer studs. Once the window is installed you cannot get at their fasteners.

After the glass is installed then the inner reveal molding with fuzzie assembly can be installed.

Below are some photos of the 2 different types of retainers.

The early type uses a specially shaped retainer that gets fastened to the top of the door. Most I have seen are cut from a full length retainer, I'd assume to eliminate some clearance issues in their design.

The outer trim is held to this retainer with very small screws fastened from the inside flange of the trim and into the retainer. once the glass is installed you cannot get at the forward most screw. The trim underside is smooth and the inner lip has a full length ridge.

The later type uses two retainer studs which protrude through the door and held with Palnuts. Again, the glass must be out to access these nuts. The trim is different as it has bent flanges on the underside to hold the retainers.
Attached Images    
Old 05-06-2014, 11:42 AM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Default The PDF Version is attached

Originally Posted by rich5962
I was speaking to someone the other day who's restoring his '58, and he mentioned he wasn't sure about his window trims and what the installation procedure was.

Note that the outer stainless steel trim and fuzzie assembly must be installed on the door before the window glass frame is installed. This must be done as the outer trim must be fastened to the door with either the early '56 to mid '59 retainers, or the 59 to 62 retainer studs. Once the window is installed you cannot get at their fasteners.

After the glass is installed then the inner reveal molding with fuzzie assembly can be installed.

Below are some photos of the 2 different types of retainers.

The early type uses a specially shaped retainer that gets fastened to the top of the door. Most I have seen are cut from a full length retainer, I'd assume to eliminate some clearance issues in their design.

The outer trim is held to this retainer with very small screws fastened from the inside flange of the trim and into the retainer. once the glass is installed you cannot get at the forward most screw. The trim underside is smooth and the inner lip has a full length ridge.

The later type uses two retainer studs which protrude through the door and held with Palnuts. Again, the glass must be out to access these nuts. The trim is different as it has bent flanges on the underside to hold the retainers.
Greetings,
With Rich's permission and the help of he and Frankie as "reviewers", the PDF version of the window fuzzy repair tutorial is attached. Download early and download often.
Stay tuned for further info on the channel liners, etc.
Thanks Rich and Frankie!
Dave Z
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
rich5962 (04-24-2023)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:57 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Attached below is the PDF version of the Sideglass Restoration work done on the above windows.

Thanks To Dave Z for the fine conversion process, and Frankie for the review of the pages.

Rich

web version at.....
http://home.comcast.net/~richmz/site/?/page/1956_to_1962_Side_Window_Glass_Frame_Res toration/
Attached Images

Last edited by rich5962; 04-24-2023 at 01:03 PM. Reason: expired link
The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (02-12-2018)
Old 10-31-2016, 02:12 PM
havasumark
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich5962
Just wanted to thank you for supplying this valuable information on window felt install. I've been restoring my 62 corvette it seems for years now, in fact, it has been years. But I can see the light now. I've been working on the window felts and just can't seem to get them fitted correctly. I did a search here on the forum and found your detailed post. Can't thank you enough for your effort in detailing this process. It will be a tremendous help to me.

Thanks greatly,
Mark
Old 09-21-2022, 04:39 PM
jrwiddersC1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Tried this adjustment method. Works like magic!

Quick Reply: 1956 to 1962 Window Fuzzies & Channels Repair Procedure