C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

If you built a Frankenstein Midyear...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
The O/P started this thread by saying OEM C2 parts and no aftermarket parts.
I stand corrected. You're right. That leaves only one choice for the motor: L72. L89 if you want to save some weight. Reliable as the sunrise, well mannered and it actually has a torque curve you can live with on the street.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:52 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default So Far

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
The O/P started this thread by saying OEM C2 parts and no aftermarket parts.

While I will gladly 2nd the motion the Porsche guys take from any year Porsche and use aftermarket parts. That really opens things up. I have seen RSR recreations that are amazing. They look period correct except for 17" "Fuchs" wheels and they have later model non EFI engines and 5 speed transmissions as well as light weight body panels (300+ horsepower and 2100 lbs), plus aftermarket suspension and brakes.
Yes they are "Frankensteined" but I don't think with restrictions.
My selections has been OEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OEM Corvette Stingray Racer/Prototype
OEM Corvette Grand Sport 377 Engine and chassis

Thus if I could go to aftermarket, it would probably start looking like Hermanns and Grandpa's rides!

I do agree with you on the labels, the classification of builds is kind of muttled! Mixed together, some guys build it this way or that and miss the classificatin. Thus actually in this thread we are trying to define a build style.

Personally I would consider a Frankenstein build to not have OEM parts. But cutting up two famous cars would definitely be a monster move!

I actually would call a Corvette pieced together with aftermarket parts as a Driver, or Hot Rod is so built. If it departed from a basic stock direction and add in flares and such-- then renegade and racer, because a racer on the street would be renegade and a renegade on the track, we would let it play. The Resto-Mod would be a mostly stock appearing body with a modern car drivetrain and usually sports custom rims.

Maybe if you took a basically stock something, then added 63/64 grills to one side, 65/66 on the other side, ran a 1967 hood, bought one 63 rim, one 64 rim, one 65, rim, one 66 rim, put in a 67 dash, upholster one seat 67 and the other 63, and then mixed up the engine components similarly, then Frankensteined.

PS my Brother has had his Renegade 911 (which I actually just pictured in the other L-88 conversation thread). He is 2.8 Twin Plug and well over 300 hp, but with stock based Fuchs of 15in. and hasn't flared the car, but it has every mod known to man. He did his before the R-gruppe crowd was started and at the event where he reintroduced it with the R-Gruppe crowd present, he drew the most attention and the R-Gruppe crowd wouldn't even come over to look or see what the car was all about!

Moral of the story, I like the Race cars, but I like all of the unique builds, but I can also appreciate a Stock OEM concourse car. But I think we will always have our cliches!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-10-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:53 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
My selections has been OEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OEM Corvette Stingray Racer/Prototype
OEM Corvette Grand Sport 377 Engine and chassis
Really? Where on the order form were those options listed?
I get what you're saying but that stuff wasn't for general public consumption that's all I'm saying. Did GM make it yes. Was it readily available? I think not.
I'm just pushing your buttons a bit. Other wise I agree with everything you're saying especially about the Porsche builds.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

1963 FI Z06 with later model disk brakes.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:11 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

That is a simply stunning D-Type. Shouldn't it be green ?

Ray
Old 05-11-2014, 03:25 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
That is a simply stunning D-Type. Shouldn't it be green ?

Ray
D-Jags never looked nearly this cool and leaked lots more oil!

-Former owner of two Jags
Old 05-11-2014, 03:33 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Herman was not patterned after Dr. Frankenstein, but the monster he created. It's like calling Zora "Grand Sport"!
Did George Barris somehow actually hook up ALL eight(?) carbs on the Munster Koach's 289? Always wondered!

Quick Reply: If you built a Frankenstein Midyear...