C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

If you built a Frankenstein Midyear...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Default If you built a Frankenstein Midyear...

Which OEM parts of the whole of each year would you use? The restriction is it has to be original from the factory, no aftermarket.

I would use...

Body & Trim:

1966 coupe (since it lacks roof vents)
1963-64 side vents cut out like the Grand Sports
1965 396 engine hood with the bump and side "vents"
1963-64 grill
Paint: 1963-64 Daytona Blue

Engine:

1964-65 L76 365 HP solid lifter engine

Trans.:

4 speed Muncie close ratio

Rear:

3.70 posi

Interior:

1964 interior (all of it: gauges, glove box, doors, seats, console, carpet)
Old 05-07-2014, 01:26 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

While we're dreaming, why not '63 back windows and FI, and maybe some KO wheels?

+1 on '64 gauges, absolutely the best!

But thumbs down on stock '64 seats, oh, my achin' butt! I prefer C4 and newer in a C2.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:34 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Well, yeah C4 seats are awesome... but in this dream, the world ended in 1967 Mad Max style and we've got 63-67 parts laying around.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:48 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

If I did it again, I would do it exactly as I did it.

Use the '64 as a basis and establish a dominant pattern. Then take the pieces from the other years, as appropriate to support the pattern. For me the dominant pattern was the "ribs" as seen in the grill, vents, rocker moldings, etc. The pattern carries from ribs to the ridges in the instruments (similar).

So I added polished aluminum side vents (ribs) to the cut-out coves, ribbed rockers from the (IIRC) '66, LT-1 valve covers with painted in/polished ribs, etc.

Then when I developed the Header Power Bracket, I came out with a ribbed version to carry the theme.

The interior is also ribbed in the upolstery and even headliner.

But then there is that '67 hood that just looks so nice.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I wouldn't need a Frankenstein!
Having nothing to do with value just the mid year I would like to drive the most:
'67 Coupe - Marina Blue - white stinger - white and blue interior
L88 (because aluminum heads and single 4 BBL) - 4 Speed - 3:36 rear - big brakes - big tank
Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 PM
slyvet63
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 63' SWC-Grand Sport

Building one of a sorts: 63' SWC GS
1963 Split Window coupe reserected from a dismal grave.
68' doner frame convertid back to a 63' frame specs.
All origonal 63' suspension. Considering upgrades to disc.
327 ci with 340 camel humped heads, Moon cross ram intake with four weber 45 DCOE's and old school MSD tach drive distributer.
2sp PowerGlide with a 308 rear
All 63' interior with origonal $$$$ trim.
GS fender flares with Halibrand GS rims.
Datona hood with custom heavy duty louvers
All parts and I mean "ALL" customized to fit together.
"Corvette" = French word meaning "does not fit".
19 years and counting, maybe I'll get to drive it this year
Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I would probably start with this and then

And add the 377 Cubic inch Grand Sport engine and the tube chassis and somehow get more tire under it, so as to not ruin the pretty body lines! I would probably cut it in half, widen it so I could drop it down over the wide tires and lower it if the lower profile tires aint enough! I definitely if I did that, would have to fab up a new hood!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-08-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:40 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default A guy that wondered into the wrong thread!

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I wouldn't need a Frankenstein!
Having nothing to do with value just the mid year I would like to drive the most:
'67 Coupe - Marina Blue - white stinger - white and blue interior
L88 (because aluminum heads and single 4 BBL) - 4 Speed - 3:36 rear - big brakes - big tank
Probably looks at himself in the mirror alot! (yes as a non-Frankenstein stock Corvette- granted rare 67 L-88, I really like what I see in the mirror daily and I am so gloriously appealing, that I don't need to change anything/Frankenstein anything)! I kind of like Frankenstein builds more!!! One day you guys will see my Frankenstein!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-08-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Frankenstein with a small block? What's up with you guys. Frankenstein's monster needs POWER.

http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines/540_ultrastreet.php
Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default My Frankenstein!

Originally Posted by Avispa
Frankenstein with a small block? What's up with you guys. Frankenstein's monster needs POWER.

http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines/540_ultrastreet.php
I wish I were a big block, I wish I were a big block. Darn my choice of an inadequate small block!

Old 05-08-2014, 04:42 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Shorty Headers

That gives new meaning to the name "Shorty Headers"
Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I wish I were a big block, I wish I were a big block. Darn my choice of an inadequate small block!
http://www.grandsportcorvette.com/gs/

This article says, "This 377 cubic inch small block was fed by four 58mm Weber carburetors through a special aluminum cross-ram manifold. The engine was said to produce 485 horsepower at 6000 rpm."

Yeah, I'd call that inadequate, considering an out of the box L88 would make 550, never mind the crate motor linked in my post
Old 05-09-2014, 11:08 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

And add the 377 Cubic inch Grand Sport engine and the tube chassis and somehow get more tire under it, so as to not ruin the pretty body lines! I would probably cut it in half, widen it so I could drop it down over the wide tires and lower it if the lower profile tires aint enough! I definitely if I did that, would have to fab up a new hood!
Get yourself one of those rare surviving Fiberfab bodies and have at it!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

'63 gauges and console are the nicest in my opinion.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:48 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sub006
There's one for sale about 10 miles south of me.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default No, then it would be a kit car and not a Frankenstein build!

Originally Posted by sub006
Thus for true Frankenstein, you need to go at it with electrical shock, saws, and body, chassis, and engine parts from different donors. Thus my Donors would be the Stingray Prototype/Racer and one of the Grand Sports would have to give up it's life-- So it can be ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

Get it all together, and then get out the two jumper cables, alligator them to the battery posts and give good ole Frank some juice!!!!!!!!

On other Forums there has been a movement like with the Porsche crowd to adopt bastard builds and name them Outlaw (for the 356 crowd) and for the 911 crowd (they are nicknamed Renegades). Thus for our beloved Corvette--- should we grab a name before the rest of the Marques have claimed them all? Thus we can formalize "Frankenstein" build formally now. We are stupid and let the uppity crowd coin the Resto-Mod term, etc.. I would personally rather call someone's Frankenstein what it is- Frankensteined!!!!!!

Does anyone second the motion?????
Old 05-09-2014, 01:07 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default The proverbial Big Block vs Small Block conversation!

http://www.grandsportcorvette.com/gs/

This article says, "This 377 cubic inch small block was fed by four 58mm Weber carburetors through a special aluminum cross-ram manifold. The engine was said to produce 485 horsepower at 6000 rpm."

Yeah, I'd call that inadequate, considering an out of the box L88 would make 550, never mind the crate motor linked in my post
I will stay a Small Block guy! Since I can't have the 377 in the Museum, then I would be forced to build an all aluminum tall deck long rod engine punched out to the 400 cube range (Small Block) for my Frankenstein, which is something that I am considering for my real life build. I am at 3-1/2 stoke crank (3.50 and not 3.48) plus long rods and a 30 over punch to 358 Cubic Inches. But then I have beat the crap out of many a big block! I was gone by the time, most of them got any momentum going! And I have considered taken the bore out more, because the Bowtie Block I have as my foundation is designed for larger overbores!

With the way flared cars are treated by my favorite NCRS people and such, my beltline flared car with race and aftermarket parts mine as well call anything flared a Frankenstein build, and I would be proud to wear the name. I am also a Herman Munster show fan! Cool cars in that series! The original Frankensteins!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-09-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To If you built a Frankenstein Midyear...

Old 05-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Ah yeah! The Munsters! I love em too. As Grandpa Munster said in the movie, "Munster Go Home", prepping the coffinmobile for the big race, "I took the family car and put in a high lift cam and a blower!" To which Eddie and Herman stomped and shouted, "Yay, Grandpa!!!!"

You can still keep yer puny small blocks. If ya gotta have one, at least get a 454 Motown version....jeez
Old 05-10-2014, 01:28 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I hope drawing the comparison between the Munsters and Frankenstein is taken into

Ah yeah! The Munsters! I love em too. As Grandpa Munster said in the movie, "Munster Go Home", prepping the coffinmobile for the big race, "I took the family car and put in a high lift cam and a blower!" To which Eddie and Herman stomped and shouted, "Yay, Grandpa!!!!"

You can still keep yer puny small blocks. If ya gotta have one, at least get a 454 Motown version....jeez
The proper perspective. Because I really like old Herman and Spot! There is this book out that has a review of each episode. I have a few books like that on Speed Racer, Batman etc.. thus I could tell you what episode and what happened.

My issues with big blocks, isn't that I don't like them or anything because I do! It is that I just like to be able to put down realistic HP/Torque to the street! A big block is a different driving experience than a small block!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:50 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

The O/P started this thread by saying OEM C2 parts and no aftermarket parts.

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
Which OEM parts of the whole of each year would you use? The restriction is it has to be original from the factory, no aftermarket.
On other Forums there has been a movement like with the Porsche crowd to adopt bastard builds and name them Outlaw (for the 356 crowd) and for the 911 crowd (they are nicknamed Renegades). Thus for our beloved Corvette--- should we grab a name before the rest of the Marques have claimed them all? Thus we can formalize "Frankenstein" build formally now. We are stupid and let the uppity crowd coin the Resto-Mod term, etc.. I would personally rather call someone's Frankenstein what it is- Frankensteined!!!!!!

Does anyone second the motion?????
While I will gladly 2nd the motion the Porsche guys take from any year Porsche and use aftermarket parts. That really opens things up. I have seen RSR recreations that are amazing. They look period correct except for 17" "Fuchs" wheels and they have later model non EFI engines and 5 speed transmissions as well as light weight body panels (300+ horsepower and 2100 lbs), plus aftermarket suspension and brakes.
Yes they are "Frankensteined" but I don't think with restrictions.

Quick Reply: If you built a Frankenstein Midyear...