C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Registration for you Florida Corvette owners

Old 05-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Default Registration for you Florida Corvette owners

Just got my Florida registration forms for all 8 of my vehicles -- this counts two watercraft trailers mind you. Interesting fine print on the documents that you might overlook. Based on this I'm only registering for one year instead of two.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2014, 12:03 PM
LabRat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just registered a motor home 2 weeks ago. Over $400 in registration fees, and then there was the sales tax. Good thing I was sitting down when they gave me the bill. By the way, I'm really enjoying the cockpit cover you gave me. Thanks again. Save the Wave
Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Well, as is to be expected, California has gone in the opposite direction in the last couple of years...........

Old 05-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,324 Likes on 957 Posts

Default Not happy

My bill at the DMV is usually about $1K. I have corporate cars which renew in June and my birthday is in June, so I get hit all at once. Jerry
Old 05-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by LabRat
I just registered a motor home 2 weeks ago. Over $400 in registration fees, and then there was the sales tax. Good thing I was sitting down when they gave me the bill. By the way, I'm really enjoying the cockpit cover you gave me. Thanks again. Save the Wave
I don't think you really knew what it was when I gave it to you. Useful as all get out in Florida as I'm sure you've found out!

Was glad to do it for all your hospitality during our solid axle visit
Old 05-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I renewed 3 of my cars and a boat trailer back in April. I went to the local DMV office, and the gal there suggested/told me to renew JUST for one year because of the change in the law coming in the fall.

I normally do 2 years, but not this time............

Chuck
Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
I renewed 3 of my cars and a boat trailer back in April. I went to the local DMV office, and the gal there suggested/told me to renew JUST for one year because of the change in the law coming in the fall.

Chuck
Help me understand - a two year renewal is exactly twice a one year renewal, and you can do it online, so why bother with two? There is no discount for two now but maybe that's what will happen in the fall.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff

Chuck
Our local DMV in Inverness is absolutely the best I have ever experienced. They really went out of their way in helping my wife this past week, and that was not an isolated event.

John
Old 05-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by survivor66
Help me understand - a two year renewal is exactly twice a one year renewal, and you can do it online, so why bother with two? There is no discount for two now but maybe that's what will happen in the fall.
Because it just makes life simpler to do it less often; the online payment is not the slickest web site in the world and the less often I have to deal with the gov't bureaucracy the better.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:51 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Just got my Florida registration forms for all 8 of my vehicles -- this counts two watercraft trailers mind you. Interesting fine print on the documents that you might overlook. Based on this I'm only registering for one year instead of two.
So Frank, what's your beef? Are you afraid that you might sell a car with over a year remaining on the registration that you won't get refunded back? If I had only the money you pay in taxes I would consider myself a one percenter.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Not really a beef. Its just that if you pay $1,000 for two years for all your cars (as per the one example above) and the legislature lowers the fees by 10% in 2015 (assuming $500 for each year). That's a $50 "gift" you've given the state of Florida to do more stupid things with - like a soccer stadium nobody wants and the politicians all made side deals on. Its simple business sense and has nothing to do with any one person's net worth...
Old 05-11-2014, 02:29 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

You mean do something stupid like VA Beach trying to bring the Seattle Kings in by spending $300 million of the taxpayer's money on a stadium? (you probably remember how well the sports arena worked out with the phantom professional soccer team named Casper).

It doesn't matter where you are city and state management will not please you. Personally I don't see registration fees going down, but I could be wrong.

Here in Del Boca Vista we just go along and get along. I had so much fun at DMV when relocating to Florida that I will renew for two just to avoid unnecessary contact.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:34 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by LabRat
I hear you, bro!

We just registered a motorhome a few weeks ago, too . . . just under $5K for sales tax, license/title, and doc stamps.

I'm assuming the State of Florida will use that money wisely <LOL>.

-- Steve
Old 05-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by survivor66
Since all of the renewal rates are going down in Sept of this year, I can renew at the lower rate in April, 2015.

This renewal, I had to pay at the old rate.

As it was 'splained to me, if I renewed for 2 years in April (last month), I would have paid the old rate x 2.

Chuck
Old 05-11-2014, 04:00 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Renewing in CT is easy to do online. You can only do it online or by mail, not in person. Two year renewals in CT, only option, but there is a refund if still one year left. Cost is $90 per car. All you get is a verification. State does not send anything back. You keep a portion of the notice. That acts as your registration. No tags, no stickers. Big brother watches over you. Leos can get instant info on your car to see if renewal is paid and not warrents, back taxes owed etc.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:43 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

November for me....
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Registration for you Florida Corvette owners

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Registration for you Florida Corvette owners