C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 PM
yadsendew
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 66 rear suspension

Hello everyone.I've been a member for about a year but i haven't posted any threads because the 66 coupe bb has been very good to me,That is until this year.My trailing arm bushing became destroyed and spindle bearings let loose.I rebuild the trailing arms complete over the winter and now I am reassembling the car.My problem is the strut rods don't seem to line up from the shock mount bracket to the strut support bracket.It seems to be twisted.These are double offset trailing arms so the geometry is a little different.Would appreciate any input on this.Everthing does seem to line up when I jack up the trailing arms about 2 inches.Will it be ok once the tires are on and its sitting on the ground?Thanks
Old 05-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by yadsendew
Hello everyone.I've been a member for about a year but i haven't posted any threads because the 66 coupe bb has been very good to me,That is until this year.My trailing arm bushing became destroyed and spindle bearings let loose.I rebuild the trailing arms complete over the winter and now I am reassembling the car.My problem is the strut rods don't seem to line up from the shock mount bracket to the strut support bracket.It seems to be twisted.These are double offset trailing arms so the geometry is a little different.Would appreciate any input on this.Everthing does seem to line up when I jack up the trailing arms about 2 inches.Will it be ok once the tires are on and its sitting on the ground?Thanks
The short answer is YES.

If the car frame is on jack stands/supports now, put a jack under the rear rotor and raise it up to normal ride height. The strut rod should now be easy to align and install. Do the same for the other side.

Same for the half-shafts.

You want to snug up the rear suspension bolts/nuts, but DO NOT TORQUE OR TIGHTEN them until the weight of the car is on the rear wheels and the suspension is at its normal ride height.

Check the archives about repairing rear suspension and installing the rear spring. There are a few DO's and DON'Ts regarding this work. We have discussed it many times in the past. Using my forum name (Powershift) may help you locate these archive threads.

Larry
Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 PM
yadsendew
Heel & Toe

Default rear suspension

Originally Posted by Powershift
The short answer is YES.
Thanks Larry for the info.
If the car frame is on jack stands/supports now, put a jack under the rear rotor and raise it up to normal ride height. The strut rod should now be easy to align and install. Do the same for the other side.

Same for the half-shafts.

You want to snug up the rear suspension bolts/nuts, but DO NOT TORQUE OR TIGHTEN them until the weight of the car is on the rear wheels and the suspension is at its normal ride height.

Check the archives about repairing rear suspension and installing the rear spring. There are a few DO's and DON'Ts regarding this work. We have discussed it many times in the past. Using my forum name (Powershift) may help you locate these archive threads.

Larry
THanks Larry for the info
Old 05-11-2014, 05:53 PM
yadsendew
Heel & Toe

THanks Larry for the info
Larry just to clarify.Are we talking about the bolts for the leaf spring or bolts for half shafts,,and everything else shock mounts
Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Larry just to clarify.Are we talking about the bolts for the leaf spring or bolts for half shafts,,and everything else shock mounts
I assume you are installing the strut rods with the left spring 'disconnected'? It would be very difficult to have the strut rods line up with the left spring bolted to the trailing arm.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Bolts that can be tightened/torqued:

1. Shocks
2. Half shafts and driveshaft
3. Long bolt between trailing arm and rear spring (with cotter pin)

Bolts that need weight of car on its wheels before tightening:

1. Front trailing arm bolt
2. Strut rod bolts (both sides)
3. Rear spring retaining bolts (4) to rear carrier cover

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To 66 rear suspension

Quick Reply: 66 rear suspension