C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Couple more weeks till Bloomington Gold

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default Couple more weeks till Bloomington Gold

I had a couple guys as me if BG was going to be in Bloomington or Champaign IL. this year and they were bitching about it going down hill, here is what I told them
Yes it is in Champaign IL. again this year, just like last year. I see and hear people complaining about BG Event and the turn out. The thing is, if you don't come then that is one less person there. Yes E-bay has hurt the swap meet area but it has also hurt Ford and Chrysler and all the other auto events even the ones at Carlisle. People now just go on the computer and look up what they want or go to e-bay and buy there parts right now. Where as BG and other events they held one time a year and people would compile a parts list and go to that car event to the swap meet area and hunt for and buy there parts. That is why people are getting there cars restored faster because they do not have to wait to go to an event like BG to get there parts. It takes the Corvette people to attend the Corvette events to keep them alive. The only think that really kills it are the people who do not attend, just like the Auction at BG. Not enough people signed up to sell there cars and now there is no auction. What will be next?
For any Corvette Forum member who attends the BG event and stops by to say HI you are welcome to one free adult beverage or soft drink or cold water. Just say that you saw my thread on the Forum. I will be at Lot 3 Booth spaces B & C 315-317. see you there. Hope to see you there
Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Absolutely right, Mike!

The world in 2014 is that people watch auctions on TV, buy their parts on ebay or online and dont leave the house so much. Attendence is down everywhere and every event suffers.

And for some reason, people have bitched about BG every step of the way. Complained when it moved to Springfield. Complained when it went back to Bloomington. Bitterly complained when it went to St Charles and complained about who bought it. Apparently if it just folded that would have been a better idea.

Now it goes to Champaign, and there's still complaining. Clearly there's people that will never be satisfied and will never go. I dont understand the logic that if the swap isnt as big as 1985 or if the grounds arent exactly like the McLean County Fairgrounds that the event isnt worth going to.

Champaign was a nice change last year. Easy ride in and out, plenty of parking and none of the traffic and congestion of the St Charles area. Yes they had logistics growing pains and it rained.

Why not just go and enjoy it for what it is?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Make sure you stop by Vettebuyer5869 for a cool drink and a short chat.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grew up in the shadow of assembly hall and for the 2nd year in a row can't make the event My daughter qualified for the IEA western national championships in Oklahoma City that weekend.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by steveale
Grew up in the shadow of assembly hall and for the 2nd year in a row can't make the event My daughter qualified for the IEA western national championships in Oklahoma City that weekend.
Steve, I was looking forward to you coming up and having a one with me. maybe see you in Carlisle.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm testing the C1 and C2 waters here to see how much interest there is in some of you attending our 2nd annual "Pre-Bloomington Gold Cook Out" at my old, Restored 1930's Auto Shop:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51567

Some pictures of just a few of the cars from last year...

For all my Corvette friends we'll be gathering at the shop, rain or shine, Thursday June 26th, anytime after 4:00 PM. We'll be eating around 6-6:30 PM. The shop and barn will be open for tours, we have 5 shady acres of parking on the grass and all the food and fixings are provided by us, you don't need to bring a thing, just yourself, your Corvette and plan on some fun, old school, Corvette fellowship.

The shop is only 11 miles, less than 20 minutes from ground zero at Bloomington Gold.

Nothing fancy, just burgers, dogs and brauts, chips, ice cream, lemonade, water and plenty to nibble on. You shouldn't go away hungry.

I'm interested in getting more C1 and C2's driving to this. Especially if you're from out of town coming to BG Thursday evening with nothing planned to do and would like to drive your C1 or C2 out to the shop for the cook out please send me a PM to confirm your C1 or 2 and that we have space and food for you and enjoy some good old fashion Mid-West hospitality. I'll reply with an address and additional contact information. While we do have quite a bit of space I'm limiting this only to those who contact me ahead of time we don't run short of food. Please don't just show up if you haven't heard from me. Thanks for your understanding.

Let's make this the best Bloomington Gold event for you yet!

Thomas aka BB767
Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Thomas if you have the event, Bob James and I will be there and you are not imposing on my thread. Bob and I are looking forward to meeting all of you Vette guys. Originally I am from Danville IL. only about 35 miles east on I 74. See you all there.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Thomas if you have the event, Bob James and I will be there and you are not imposing on my thread. Bob and I are looking forward to meeting all of you Vette guys. Originally I am from Danville IL. only about 35 miles east on I 74. See you all there.
Mike, I already had you down as coming with a friend from an earlier invitation. I was pretty sure you wouldn't consider my post as imposing on your thread. We both share the same goal, getting people more involved with driving and enjoying their Corvettes and participating in BG! I wanted to do my part to welcome visitors to the area and extend some hospitality to fellow Corvette enthusiasts. Why sit in your hotel rooms Thur evening when just minutes away you can get together and meet some very cool, like minded folks.

The Champaign community really embraced the Corvette crowd last year and will do so again this year. You can feel an anticipation in the air and as we get closer to that Fri, Sat, Sun with more and more Corvettes beginning to show up around on the streets. That brings a pretty special vibe with it. It's fun to just cruise around the area seeing Corvettes everywhere. There's more to this event than just the BG show.

Does anyone know if there will be a special Forum parking area again this year?

Thomas
Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Thomas I don't know about the special parking but I think (and I am sure I will catch some flack for saying this) that Corvette people are getting tight with there $$$$ and don't want to pay to get into the event, weather it be BG or Carlisle. That is why the attendance is down. I think you will find that most od the people bitching about the events are people (most , not all) who do not go or have not been to a BG event in a while. All they know is that they saw the attendance down when they went last time and it just snowballs from there. Some is they moved it from St. Charlies IL. to Champaign and all the people up in the Chicago area don't want to drive down to Champaign they really think it is to far and they don't want to spend the $$$$ for a room but when we drove up in there neck of the woods it was ok for us to do it and get rooms and food but now the table has turned and they don't like it. Now that being said, it don't apply to all Corvette people but I bet if the truth were known it applies to more then you think. There is my $0.05 worth. Like it or not I said it.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:21 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Mike, I'm bringing two cars for certification so if I have some spare time, I'll take you up on your offer.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SBR
Mike, I'm bringing two cars for certification so if I have some spare time, I'll take you up on your offer.
We will get there Wed afternoon and unload, kick back and maybe have a cold and then head out to the Best Western or Custard Cup first then the Best Western in Savoy to check in and break out a steak or 2 and put them on the grill and a or 2 and relax. SBR, you are more then welcome to stop by for one. If there is anyone staying at the Best Western in Savoy, look us up anytime after Wed afternoon. Just ask the front desk if we are there or call my cell 317-945-5121 See you all at B G and see you Thomas at the cook out unless we bump into you sooner. Looking forward to another good and fun year. If any of you are interested or know someone who is bring them by the booth space B & C 315-317 and check out my 66 Mosport Green car I am selling.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

We are staying at the Best Western in Savoy as well. Look forward to meeting you!

Tim Ford
Old 06-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Biggus Blockus
We are staying at the Best Western in Savoy as well. Look forward to meeting you!

Tim Ford
Tim when are you arriving? We will get there Wed. afternoon. I will be trailering over my Vette and parts and other cool Corvette things but I am sure my White Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi will be in the parking lot at the Hotel. Weather my 22' enclosed Gray Slope Nose Trailer will be there or at the booth space I am not sure yet. Look us up and say Hi.

Get notified of new replies

To Couple more weeks till Bloomington Gold

Quick Reply: Couple more weeks till Bloomington Gold