C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

57 Corvette race car for sale on Ebay ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:51 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist
Default 57 Corvette race car for sale on Ebay ....

There is an original original 57 race car for sale on Ebay for only $6,500,000.00.

Go to Ebay and search 57 Corvette.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ohiovet
There is an original original 57 race car for sale on Ebay for only $6,500,000.00.

Go to Ebay and search 57 Corvette.

This one? A VERY significant car. I'm surprised it's even for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Engineering-Racecar-1-st-fuel-injected-corvette-factory-racecar-1957-nassau-/331219940934?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d1e3f3646&item=331219940934&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 06-04-2014, 02:55 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would anyone sell a car like that on ebay? With all the bone heads and idiots on ebay I think that should be at a high end auction.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:51 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he doesn't want to buy a selling time and pay 20% for the 3 minutes it is highlighted in an auction.
Probably not real interested in a quick sale ... just gauging interest. We know he doesn't need the money for a rent payment.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:49 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dr L-88

Chevrolet Corvette Engineering Racecar | eBay
Thats the one.
I have seen it a few times and talked to the owner.
Obviously one of a kind but how do you establish a value?
I guess thats up to a buyer to decide.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
Maybe he doesn't want to buy a selling time and pay 20% for the 3 minutes it is highlighted in an auction.
Probably not real interested in a quick sale ... just gauging interest. We know he doesn't need the money for a rent payment.
Thats the one.
I agree with both of you... Like they say............................."ya gotta start somewhere"...........and who knows what some collector with deep pockets might pay for something so unique. I know the seller has done a lot of research into the car's history and collected tons of documentation. I wish him good luck and just hope that IF it sells, it goes to a worthy buyer.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
Why would anyone sell a car like that on ebay? With all the bone heads and idiots on ebay I think that should be at a high end auction.
All he'll get on there is low-balling trolls. That car should be showcased in other venues and offered for sale.

Doesn't always have to be Mecum/B-J...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:08 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Thats the one.
Did you notice if it had power brakes? SUPPOSEDLY the factory built/modified 57 race cars did. I've never seen ANY pictures of the PB setup, and I would really be interested in how it was done. So far, the best PB setup I've seen is on Roy Braatz's 55.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Would there be any way to surgically remove that layer of gold paint to get to the as-raced white and blue paint underneath?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

A friend of mine recently bought a pretty original Aztec Copper 56 Corvette which had been painted red over the Copper. He started wet sanding it with around 800 or 1000 paper and had about half of it done when I last saw it. It actually looked pretty good for 50+ year old paint.
The finished product will be interesting.
From what I have seen of the 57 racer it might be possible to do the same...
Old 06-04-2014, 10:43 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
Have you ever tried to sell a car on ebay?

I've sold hundreds of items on ebay and I can tell you I would never even consider selling a car. There are so many fake bids, non-paying winners and general bozos it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I've sold hundreds of items on ebay and I can tell you I would never even consider selling a car. There are so many fake bids, non-paying winners and general bozos it wouldn't be worth it.

I think the object is to advertise it on ebay not to actually sell it on ebay
Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

I have sold 3 corvettes and an RV no problem.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 AM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

This is one of the most original and significant of all Corvette races cars of all time. It is truely a very rare opportunity for someone with a lot of money, and it would be worth every cent IMO. As for Ebay, it is for advertising the car.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I was one of the first two people to roll that car out of the garage to look at it when the owners son was putting feelers out before selling. He had told us that there was something special about the car, but his dad was not able to communicate anymore and that is about all he knew. We had no idea the significance of this car when we saw it until we began to inspect the car. Wow. The ultimate mystery started to unfold.

I was up under the rear when I noticed some of the very heavy metallic paint chips missing....and to my surprise I see white paint and a blue edge. Ignorance was bliss. Still had no idea. Took many pictures and tried to buy the car, but no sale at that time. Needless to say the next several days were filled with intrigue and frustration trying to learn more about the car and it's history. The current owner learned of the car, knew what it was, made a mad dash to Chicago area with cash in hand and bought the car. Good for him. You snooze you loose and I was in full-out REM sleep!!

Although I have have kept all of the detailed digital photos I took that day and revisit them often, out of respect to the current owner I have not shared them with anyone other than a few that were put on the forum (before the car was bought) when the car was first found and we were trying to sort it out. Turns out that is where the current owner first saw the details of the car, tracked it down and bought it.

Panama58

Last edited by Panama 58; 06-05-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:27 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I have sold over 1000 items on Ebay including a dozen motorcycle trailers and at least 6 Corvettes along with lots of parts.
I had one incident with a trailer but it was obvious it was a scam so I just ignored it and reported it to Ebay.
When selling anything over $100.00 I have found that if you can speak with the buyer you can get a feel for his or her intentions.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 AM
327carguy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Panama 58
I was one of the first two people to roll that car out of the garage to look at it when the owners son was putting feelers out before selling. He had told us that there was something special about the car, but his dad was not able to communicate anymore and that is about all he knew. We had no idea the significance of this car when we saw it until we began to inspect the car. Wow. The ultimate mystery started to unfold.

I was up under the rear when I noticed some of the very heavy metallic paint chips missing....and to my surprise I see white paint and a blue edge. Ignorance was bliss. Still had no idea. Took many pictures and tried to buy the car, but no sale at that time. Needless to say the next several days were filled with intrigue and frustration trying to learn more about the car and it's history. The current owner learned of the car, knew what it was, made a mad dash to Chicago area with cash in hand and bought the car. Good for him. You snooze you loose and I was in full-out REM sleep!!

Although I have have kept all of the detailed digital photos I took that day and revisit them often, out of respect to the current owner I have not shared them with anyone other than a few that were put on the forum (before the car was bought) when the car was first found and we were trying to sort it out. Turns out that is where the current owner first saw the details of the car, tracked it down and bought it.

Panama58

The corvette that got away. Now that is a very sad story.

Get notified of new replies

To 57 Corvette race car for sale on Ebay ....

Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yes,and there have been many that have gotten away...but not like this one. This one hurts to this day. I do have to say though, the gentleman who did buy it and owns it today is a corvette historian, hobbiest and knows his corvette racing history. It was better that he got the car than me because he knew what he was buying, knows what he has and has shared it with the corvette world in several venues. He could have hidden it away to create the mystery around it, but he didn't. Just like the past owners of VIN #1's for '55, '56 and '57, I believe he is using ebay to efficiently promote the availability of his car to the corvette collector world, determine current value and will eventually sell the car, but not on ebay. No different than the old days of setting ridiculously high reserve auctions with no intentions of selling just to assess current market value. No harm no foul. He just knows how to play the game.
I hope he gets all the money!
Panama58
Old 06-05-2014, 12:17 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

I agree with both of you... Like they say............................."ya gotta start somewhere"...........and who knows what some collector with deep pockets might pay for something so unique. I know the seller has done a lot of research into the car's history and collected tons of documentation. I wish him good luck and just hope that IF it sells, it goes to a worthy buyer.
he does not have the original GM work orders that built the car.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevrolet Corvette Engineering Racecar | eBay
Without a doubt, an important historical piece with some wonderful old photos, videos and articles. Love it!

Quick Reply: 57 Corvette race car for sale on Ebay ....