C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

4l60e trans install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:32 PM
grandsport guy
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 4l60e trans install question

Has anyone on the forum installed a 4L60E transmission in a 1966 corvette using the stock frame? If so, what did you use for trans mount? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

The 4L60E uses the same 2 hole trans mount that is used by the TH350 on all GM cars. The mount on the crossmember will need to be cut off and a new one fabricated as the stock location is going to be 2" too far forward. The 4L60E trans is about 3" longer overall, as well, so you will have to either have the driveshaft cut down, or buy a new one.

While you are at it, you will want to convert the crossmember, so that the center section can be removed, as it will be impossible to pull the trans otherwise, without pulling the engine. It is a pretty simple job, and worth the time invested.

The 4L60E trans is very tight in the tunnel, so set the trans height before fabricating the new mount, as you may have to drop the tail of the trans slightly to get clearance. There is a large boss at the passenger side of the trans case at the tailshaft housing, that will probably hit the tunnel hard, right where the recess for the console trim is, and you can grind that boss off. It serves as a place to secure wiring, and can go away.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-25-2014, 08:56 PM
grandsport guy
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by John McGraw
The 4L60E uses the same 2 hole trans mount that is used by the TH350 on all GM cars. The mount on the crossmember will need to be cut off and a new one fabricated as the stock location is going to be 2" too far forward. The 4L60E trans is about 3" longer overall, as well, so you will have to either have the driveshaft cut down, or buy a new one.

While you are at it, you will want to convert the crossmember, so that the center section can be removed, as it will be impossible to pull the trans otherwise, without pulling the engine. It is a pretty simple job, and worth the time invested.

The 4L60E trans is very tight in the tunnel, so set the trans height before fabricating the new mount, as you may have to drop the tail of the trans slightly to get clearance. There is a large boss at the passenger side of the trans case at the tailshaft housing, that will probably hit the tunnel hard, right where the recess for the console trim is, and you can grind that boss off. It serves as a place to secure wiring, and can go away.

Regards, John McGraw
Thanks for the information.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you going to use for a shifter?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:20 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

The smart move for a shifter, is to install a Shiftworks conversion. They sell a conversion kit for the original Powerglide shifter that converts it to work with the 4L trans. It includes a new shift pattern indicator that goes on the OEM Powerglide console. Looks stock, and most people never notice the additional gears on the indicator. I use this setup on both my cars, and it is hard to beat if you are trying to keep the car looking stock.

Here is a pic of the setup in my coupe, when I was building it:

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 06-25-2014 at 11:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteMikeB (02-04-2018)
Old 06-26-2014, 12:11 AM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still trying to find a solution for my 62…..
Old 06-26-2014, 01:31 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Old Vet
I'm still trying to find a solution for my 62…..

Unfortunately, there is no good solution for a C1, since the shifter is trans mounted. I have used a floor mounted Lokar shifter, and while it works, I was not that satisfied with it.

Here is a pic of my 59 shifter. Not a very good pic, but you can see what it looks like. In order to use the original shift plate, you would need to mount all the shifter under the tunnel, and I have not found anything that will work for that.

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 06-26-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,937 Likes on 4,779 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Hey, I like the look of the new automatic transmission floor console gear plate . What modifications to the transmission tunnel were needed to install the 4L60E automatic transmission on your C2 Corvette? What other modifications were needed during the installation of your 4L60E automatic transmission?
read post number two again. then read it again. it seems in the last two months you asked the same question over and over. you get the same response both positive and negative. John gave you great advice and it seems he made it work. so if you follow what he wrote so can you. you seem to over complicate things other overdrive trans have less modification and more bolt in process. good luck

Get notified of new replies

To 4l60e trans install question

Quick Reply: 4l60e trans install question