C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

3 days of Nausea

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 12:02 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Default 3 days of Nausea

Check last post. Borgeson ships their gearboxes with two 2600 pound steel reinforced hoses. I spent 2 days trying to get the return line over the flare on the pump. Couldn;t do it, so got a normal hose but 2 days wasted.

Started up the car for the first time in 2 years last week. Took about 2 seconds to catch and roar to life. Oil pressure lept to 62 pounds and everything was working fine.
Next problem.............
However the Borgeson steering did not work. No problem, likely an airlock. Did the slow turn to the right with the wheels jacked up and then sat the car down to experience my new power steering. Nope, nada no power steering. Loosened the pressure line on the gear box, to ensure I got a spray of oil, indicating I had pressure. Nothing, nada, nuttin.
Backed the pressure line off completely... got nothing. AHA its the flow valve and its plugged!!!.
I enjoyed the warm power steering fluid running down my arm and into my armpits. I even decided to lube up the hair while looking for the wrench which acted like an eel and kept falling out of my oil drenched hands.

But aha, the flow valve!!! Well totally open, no plugs whatsoever. Grrrr The pump is shot and I just purchased it from Summit.... they are going to get an earful.
Drive down to the local go fast store and drop $175 for a new saginaw.

get home and decide better to get at it now and get the old pump out and the new one in. Backed off the pump lock bolt and removed the belt. Grabbed the pulley with one hand and started backing off the nut.

Thats when I noticed this little shiny thing sitting on the lip of the A arm.... it was half moon shaped and looked alot like a key.. ............ It appears when I pushed the pulley on, I pushed the key out the other side......

Put the key in, made sure this time it did not slide out the back of the groove and had power steering in 5 minutes.

5 days of my life gone. Ah the joys of working on my 63 SWC
Old 07-05-2014, 12:17 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad you got it all sorted out. I did the Borgeson conversion last year and love it.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Laughed Out Loud

I read this and I did. But only because I could see this exact thing happening to me. Starting with getting ready to give Summit an ear full and ending with me seeing the Woodruff key and thinking "YOU IDIOT!!" Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one.

Geek
Old 07-05-2014, 03:30 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I don't use power steering because it makes me feel "manly" to wrestle my car around on wide race tires. AND, when I need to "parallel park it" say in the trailer, I let my wife do that (she is the only one small enough to crawl out the driver's side window)

Get notified of new replies

To 3 days of Nausea

Quick Reply: 3 days of Nausea