Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wax for C-1's and C-2's?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 PM
zeus337
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Mother's Carnuba Wax in the can...
Old 07-13-2014, 05:30 PM
vetteLT193
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

If you want a high end carnauba, zymol (not the stuff from wal mart). It is so hard you have to apply with bare hands to melt it down. This is due to the extremely high carnauba content. This is GREAT for single stage paints.

Base coat clear coat I also use zaino. Great company and it's the longest lasting stuff I have ever used. It is also best on lighter colors because it adds reflectivity. Darker colors even base coat clear coat zymol will give a deeper look but to keep it you have to apply more often. Another zaino note is the zaino quick detailer is the only one I have ever used to actually add enough of a layer to cause a car to bead up even with no prior polish. That says a lot.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,168 Times in 2,534 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger View Post
Frank,

Why don't you cover your cars in the garage? I use a flannel cover and it seems to keep the dust off in between rides.
Many reasons:

1) Those covers must be absolutely pristine before using them. The slightest piece of grit, sand, etc.. and you've got a nice scratch or swirl mark.
2) I tried a flannel cover on my C1 with the Stayfast top...I removed it and had to spend 15 minutes with a sticky pet hair roller to "defuzz" it afterwards.
3) I have heard from several painters whom I respect that long term storage under a heavy (e.g. flannel) cover can wreak havoc with your paint.
4) I don't have kids or pets careening around the garage to scratch up the cars so my risk on that score is minimal

A quick pass with my battery powered leaf blower takes car of the "dust off" before a ride (very rarely needed).

I use the Zymol too - good stuff. Especially if you go the extra step per the instructions and do a final wipe down misting the finish with a little water and polishing up the shine. Gives a little extra 'pop' to the final product for sure.

I only do the wax job 2-3 times a year though...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-13-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:27 PM
sub006
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DUB View Post
"I avoid "New Finish" and other products advertised to last a year or that have abrasives or chemical cleaners in them. I worry about silicone and other crap that could cause problems in the paint shop, God forbid that becomes necessary. "

I have my beliefs in this and CLEARLY let my customers know what they CANNOT use on my paint job. If they choose to 'do their own thing'...and use product that is not something that I believe in...then they forfeited the warranty.

And for those who apply 'whatever'...if you do have a problem and painting is needed...MAKE SURE that you tell the painter and bodyman...so they know how to begin the repairs...due to some products applied on paint can really make it hard to get paint to stick WITHOUT performing a specific cleaning process NUMEROUS times.DUB
I give the shop an empty Liquid Glass can when I get a paint job. Simple "sanitizing" prep instructions are on every can.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:30 PM
sub006
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DUB View Post
"I avoid "New Finish" and other products advertised to last a year or that have abrasives or chemical cleaners in them. I worry about silicone and other crap that could cause problems in the paint shop, God forbid that becomes necessary. "

I have my beliefs in this and CLEARLY let my customers know what they CANNOT use on my paint job. If they choose to 'do their own thing'...and use product that is not something that I believe in...then they forfeited the warranty.

And for those who apply 'whatever'...if you do have a problem and painting is needed...MAKE SURE that you tell the painter and bodyman...so they know how to begin the repairs...due to some products applied on paint can really make it hard to get paint to stick WITHOUT performing a specific cleaning process NUMEROUS times.DUB
I give them an empty Liquid Glass can when I get a paint job. Simple "sanitizing" prep instruction are on every can.

They also tell you how long to wait before "glassing" new paint.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:14 PM
65 vette dude
CF Senior Member

Klasse AIO (all in one)......." the German's always make good stuff."
Old 02-11-2019, 06:01 PM
tabbruzz
CF Senior Member

I still use Zanio after about 17 years or so...I like how it comes altough it seems harder to remove the last two times I purchased and used it...The awesome smell is also much less...But I still use it. Now with all the todo about ceramics I am wondering if it time for a change....Thoughts???
Old 02-11-2019, 06:04 PM
vettebuyer6369

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Thanked 1,519 Times in 991 Posts

You are answering a post from about 4 1/2 years ago. You might try a new thread or posting in the “Car Care” Discussion section of the General Topics area.
The Following User Says Thank You to vettebuyer6369 For This Useful Post:
tabbruzz (02-12-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wax for C-1's and C-2's?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: