C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

HELP !!!!58 Battery Ammeter Gauge Stuck at +30 - Now what?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Bomba_MC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HELP !!!!58 Battery Ammeter Gauge Stuck at +30 - Now what?

Well it's my fault,,,i should have disconnected the battery before doing some work on the wiring. It sparked and the 30 amp safety blade fuse blew that comes off the ammeter. But now I notice the needle on the ammeter stays all the way to right at +30 regardless if the car is running or not. Did i blow the gauge? Is there anything I can do that might free up the needle? If I blew the gauge where can i possibly find a new one to replace it???

Any help to these questions would be of grrrrrrrrrrreat help!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:27 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomba_MC
Well it's my fault,,,i should have disconnected the battery before doing some work on the wiring. It sparked and the 30 amp safety blade fuse blew that comes off the ammeter. But now I notice the needle on the ammeter stays all the way to right at +30 regardless if the car is running or not. Did i blow the gauge? Is there anything I can do that might free up the needle? If I blew the gauge where can i possibly find a new one to replace it???

Any help to these questions would be of grrrrrrrrrrreat help!!!!!!
Disconnect your battery, remove the seat cushion, take a #2 screwdriver with you, crawl under the dash.

Use the backside of the screwdriver and lightly tap the backside of the ammeter. Repeat if necessary with slightly more umph.

If this doesn't work. Remove the gauge pod(after disconnecting the oil line of course), and hold the pod vertically and tap it on a solid bench or floor in the direction of force to pop the needle free.

One of these 2 methods should release the stuck needle.

Rich
p.s. I had direct experience with a similar occurrence.

I went to polarize a generator at the VR, dropped the screwdriver across the harness shield and BAT. Blew the underdash 30A fuse, and ticked the ammeter needle past +30. In my case I had to remove the pod. In the process of removing it........it fixed itself.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:32 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Here's an article I did a few months back on gauges. Seattle Speedometer may be able to help you as well. As I say in the article they want you to call them before you do anything with your gauge. I don't think they charge you for a phone consultation.

Richard Newton
Old 07-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

God blesses those that have fused their C1's ammeter circuit - by not letting their car burn in he!!fire - from an electrical short...
Old 07-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Bomba_MC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thank You Worked Like a Charm

Originally Posted by rich5962
Disconnect your battery, remove the seat cushion, take a #2 screwdriver with you, crawl under the dash.

Use the backside of the screwdriver and lightly tap the backside of the ammeter. Repeat if necessary with slightly more umph.

If this doesn't work. Remove the gauge pod(after disconnecting the oil line of course), and hold the pod vertically and tap it on a solid bench or floor in the direction of force to pop the needle free.

One of these 2 methods should release the stuck needle.

Rich
p.s. I had direct experience with a similar occurrence.

I went to polarize a generator at the VR, dropped the screwdriver across the harness shield and BAT. Blew the underdash 30A fuse, and ticked the ammeter needle past +30. In my case I had to remove the pod. In the process of removing it........it fixed itself.
Just want to say thank you for all the help....a few taps and it's back normal operating condition.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP !!!!58 Battery Ammeter Gauge Stuck at +30 - Now what?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP !!!!58 Battery Ammeter Gauge Stuck at +30 - Now what?