C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Knock-off wheel question:

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Knock-off wheel question:

As I continue my search for a C2, I need to make some decisions regarding wheels. I had decided that if I bought a Vette with hubcaps, I would likely put some old-school Cragars on it. If I buy one with knock-offs, does it still have the backing plate with holes for lug bolts, or am I forced to keep the knock-offs?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:58 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by vipervetteguy
As I continue my search for a C2, I need to make some decisions regarding wheels. I had decided that if I bought a Vette with hubcaps, I would likely put some old-school Cragars on it. If I buy one with knock-offs, does it still have the backing plate with holes for lug bolts, or am I forced to keep the knock-offs?
Original or reproduction knock-off wheels have two primary components - the pin-drive adapter, which attaches to the lug studs on the hub drum or rotor with lug nuts, and the wheel itself, which indexes on the drive pins on the adapter and attaches to the threaded center of the adapter via the threaded spinner. Remove the wheel from the adapter and the adapter from the hub lug studs, and you can use any wheel you like.
Attached Images     
Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I think I understand your question. What year are you thinking about? Knockoffs or bolt on Knockoff have an adapter that bolts to the disc brake hub (65-67) with regular lug nuts. So with this type everything can be removed. Look on the Corvette America web site. You can see the difference in the adapters. Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Knock-off wheel question:

Quick Reply: Knock-off wheel question: