C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stuck FI distributor

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Gene jockey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stuck FI distributor

I'm re-setting the timing on a 63 SWC fuelie, and I'm pretty sure the distributor is one tooth in advance. The problem is that I can't get the distributor up out of the engine so as to move things over one tooth. The FI distributor set up includes a pair of big aluminum spacers with gaskets in between and indexing pins to keep the gaskets aligned. Imagine trying to slip the distributor and this assembly intact into the block!. I was delighted when I got it all in and in the the right place, but when I started the engine it sounded like I was one tooth in advance based on pushing and pulling gently on the vacuum can. Now, I can't get the distributor up out of the block using "appropriate" force. I have disconnected the oil lines for the distributor, so that's not the problem. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what's the solution?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

"...a PAIR of big aluminum spacers" ????
Old 07-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene jockey
I'm re-setting the timing on a 63 SWC fuelie, and I'm pretty sure the distributor is one tooth in advance. The problem is that I can't get the distributor up out of the engine so as to move things over one tooth. The FI distributor set up includes a pair of big aluminum spacers with gaskets in between and indexing pins to keep the gaskets aligned. Imagine trying to slip the distributor and this assembly intact into the block!. I was delighted when I got it all in and in the the right place, but when I started the engine it sounded like I was one tooth in advance based on pushing and pulling gently on the vacuum can. Now, I can't get the distributor up out of the block using "appropriate" force. I have disconnected the oil lines for the distributor, so that's not the problem. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what's the solution?
It`s been years since I sold my 63 coupe, but unless my 62 distributor is differenti. Don't or isn`t he top halve movable?.......You have two cables driven off of it. Tach and the high speed pump.........just set the top where you need it

Right?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:47 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I thought there was only one aluminum spacer and two gaskets.
You say it sounded like it was advanced, did you use a timing light to verify?
After taking off the distributor hold down the distributor should lift up enough to move the rotor one tooth.
I an not imagine what is preventing the distributor from being raised.
Joe
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside

I an not imagine what is preventing the distributor from being raised.
Joe
I have seen them from time/time where they needed a little encouragement to pop out of the hole. Maybe like slight misalignment between the intake manifold and the block? Or even sludge back in the old days.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

only one spacer.. see pic (it doesn't matter that this is a C1 unit, they all only used 1 spacer)
Bill
Attached Images  

Last edited by wmf62; 07-22-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 PM
Gene jockey
Instructor

Default Stuck Distributor

Originally Posted by wmf62
only one spacer.. see pic (it doesn't matter that this is a C1 unit, they all only used 1 spacer)
Bill
I can see the single spacer in the last post picture, just next to the FI drive cable. I have the distributor out, now, with a little jiggling. I have just one spacer on the shaft but two gaskets. Now to see if I can get the distributor back into the engine with the right spacing....
Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

I can see the single spacer in the last post picture, just next to the FI drive cable. I have the distributor out, now, with a little jiggling. I have just one spacer on the shaft but two gaskets. Now to see if I can get the distributor back into the engine with the right spacing....
it might take a bit of 'finessing' as the distributor has to drop down and pick up the oil pump shaft. patience and persistence is your friend...

remember, the distributor base has a notch that the spacer roll pin fits into (the other end of the pin is in a hole in the intake manifold), the base of the distributor does not turn, only the top half...
Bill
Old 07-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Gene jockey
Instructor

Default Stuck Distributor, now un-stuck

Originally Posted by wmf62
it might take a bit of 'finessing' as the distributor has to drop down and pick up the oil pump shaft. patience and persistence is your friend...

remember, the distributor base has a notch that the spacer roll pin fits into (the other end of the pin is in a hole in the intake manifold), the base of the distributor does not turn, only the top half...
Bill
Thanks, Bill,
I am down to one gasket and one spacer, and the distributor seems to be seated in the slot in the manifold near the hold-down foot. The electrode on the rotor points at the bottom rear passenger side rocker cover bolt. Balancer mark is at TDC. Vacuum can points midway between the coil and the back corner of the FI box, so I should be ready to start? I don't have too many shots at this since the cardboard block-to- spacer gaskets appear to be hard to get from NAPA. The blue synthetic ones are abundant.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks, Bill,
I am down to one gasket and one spacer, and the distributor seems to be seated in the slot in the manifold near the hold-down foot. The electrode on the rotor points at the bottom rear passenger side rocker cover bolt. Balancer mark is at TDC. Vacuum can points midway between the coil and the back corner of the FI box, so I should be ready to start? I don't have too many shots at this since the cardboard block-to- spacer gaskets appear to be hard to get from NAPA. The blue synthetic ones are abundant.
you really need 2 gaskets, one top and one bottom in order to prevent seepage... remember, once the dist is clamped down the bottom does not move; ALL rotation of the dist for timing purposes is done by loosening the band clamp and rotating the top half of the dist.

if you have to, you can use some ultra black RTV or something similar in lieu of a gasket as the spacer and its gaskets do not move after the dist is clamped down.

good luck
Bill

by the way, the distributor gaskets are just good old regular distributor gaskets, just cut a slight notch to clear the locating pin in top/bottom of the spacer...
Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, two things that need to be clarified here.
FIRST, NOT ALL FI units required a spacer for the distributor. The 57-58 base plates had a raised hole for the distributor (just like all regular intake manifolds). Thus, NO SPACER was used between the distributor and base plate on 57-58 FI units. With the 59-later FI units, the hole in the base plate was made much lower (requiring the spacer/2 gaskets) to make it easier to remove the dist.

Next, FI distributor gaskets with the notch ARE NOT, repeat, ARE NOT difficult to find! You make them from a REGULAR gasket sumply by using a hand held single hole punch to punch the notch. Use whatever type of gasket material you prefer, paper, cork, fiber, etc.
TOOOOOOOOOOOO EASY!

Last edited by DZAUTO; 07-24-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:14 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Tom
thank you for the clarification... i guess i've never seen a 57-58 baseplate.
Bill
Old 07-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Gene jockey
Instructor

Default Stuck Distributor, now un-stuck

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, two things that need to be clarified here.
FIRST, NOT ALL FI units required a spacer for the distributor. The 57-58 base plates had a raised hole for the distributor (just like all regular intake manifolds). Thus, NO SPACER was used between the distributor and base plate on 57-58 FI units. With the 59-later FI units, the hole in the base plate was made much lower (requiring the spacer/2 gaskets) to make it easier to remove the dist.

Next, FI distributor gaskets with the notch ARE NOT, repeat, ARE NOT difficult to find! You make them from a REGULAR gasket sumply by using a hand held single hole punch to punch the notch. Use whatever type of gasket material you prefer, paper, cork, fiber, etc.
TOOOOOOOOOOOO EASY!

I have used the hole punch trick, and it's effective. NAPA sells the blue Fel-Pro gaskets, but the local store can't get the cardboard ones. I had the blue gaskets in my car for about 6 months, mostly not running, and when i went back to re-index my timing the blue gaskets had turned into a gooey mess. Maybe due to an oil leak, as I have a bit of drippage?

I have used the hole punch trick, and it's effective. NAPA sells the blue Fel-Pro gaskets, but the local store can't get the cardboard ones. I had the blue gaskets in my car for about 6 months, mostly not running, and when i went back to re-index my timing the blue gaskets had turned into a gooey mess. Maybe due to an oil leak, as I have a bit of drippage?

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck FI distributor

Quick Reply: Stuck FI distributor