C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tony Stewart kill another driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:58 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

I'm not defending Ward's decision, to walk away from his car, but people are missing something here. I believe the cars and track were under caution, not at speed, as some here have said. Under caution, it's the driver's obligation it use caution on the track, and be extra alert when approaching the spot of the on track incident!

From many of the comments, I guessing that most of those posting here have a somewhat limited knowledge of racing, race vehicle dynamics, dirt track racing or the rules for racing under caution. I've been around racing much of my life, and still am. Other than some autocrossing and a driving school, I've never raced, but I've crewed for both professional and amateur race teams. It's hard to tell from the video, but the yellow would have likely come out, as soon as Ward's car came to a stop. It doesn't appear from the video, that the pace car had picked up the field yet, but the field still should have slowed to something close to whatever the track's caution period speed was. Additionally, Stewart would have been aware of the incident, and where it took place. Even if he didn't see the wreck, the team would have made him aware of it by radio. I don't know if he was using a spotter in that race, but he likely was, but even if he wasn't, his crew chief would have told him. It's just normal procedure, even in Saturday night dirt track racing.

If the track wasn't under caution, then the track's lack of action, would clearly be a contributing factor, in his death, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Stewart has always been a hot headed jerk. It's a persona that Stewart has created for himself, and he revels in it. From throwing helmets, to punching other drivers, breaking photographer's cameras, shoving a female fan, punching a track safety worker, calling reporters names and fighting with officials; this is all "classic" Stewart. Unfortunately for him, because of his past behavior, he's probably not going to get the benefit of the doubt in this situation, and he probably doesn't deserve it either.

Ward's actions clearly contributed to his death, and it's a shame, but I believe that Stewart has to share in that blame, even if it was truly an accident.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
OK, so what's the problem???????????????
What's the difference in someone walking out in front of some race cars at speed and walking out in the middle of Interstate traffic. Not too bright on his part. It may be good that he is removed from the gene pool.
DUH!
I watched the clip again. I don't think he saw him until it was too late. Looks like he was trying to avoid him to me.. sad all the way around. Feel bad for the drivers family...Just shows how quickly life changes in a second..

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 08-10-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Tony certainly knew he was in a dangerous part of the track...since he's the one Ward was tangled with in the first place. You've got potential shrapnel on the track as well as emergency personnel and another driver.

Stewart wasn't drafting the car in front...if he didn't see Ward it's because he wasn't looking, which is probably a bad idea in an accident zone under caution. Everyone else managed to avoid hitting Ward (who I totally agree was being a complete IDIOT) except Stewart, the guy that walled him in the first place.

Then Stewart allegedly tried to load up and get the hell out of dodge, until the cops showed up.

Lots of little things that don't point to an "I didn't see him until it was too late!" scenario. But who knows? Hopefully a wider angle video surfaces and we can get a few more seconds of Stewart's driving prior to hitting Ward.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:23 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
He's a professional driver I think he was trying to throw dirt at him
showing off and hit him. I think if he didn't hot dog the guy would of been OK> He's been known to jump in to things and fight etc.
Believe me it isn't over .

I think they both may be at fault and it went very bad.

DZ AUTO, I am surprised you make so lite of a human life especially over a Saturday nite race. He did NOT get what he deserved for being stupid and letting his temper get the best of him.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:53 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

A very sad day in American racing.

Anyone know what Ward's and Stewart's positions were at the time of the first collision?

If Ward was in the top five or otherwise in good contention to win, I'd understand why he could have been more upset than usual, and provoked into leaving the relative safety of his car.

If he was just back-marker traffic, I could understand a driver of Stewart's temperament nerfing him out of the way. Unsportsmanlike, but for Ward a risk you take in racing.

If any of us had accidentally killed a fellow driver, we might be too upset and shaky to immediately make a public statement. Attorneys advise the most innocent person never to say "i'm sorry" until a case is decided.

We must wait for video from other angles and the testimony of drivers and other witnesses to reconstruct what happened.

If Stewart carelessly or deliberately caused the second collision, ban him for life from racing, seize the appropriate share of his assets for Ward's family, and let him do the time, public service or whatever else a judge decides he deserves.

If it was an accident, I think Tony Stewart will be a much more careful driver for the rest of his career.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:54 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I'm not defending Ward's decision, to walk away from his car, but people are missing something here. I believe the cars and track were under caution, not at speed, as some here have said. Under caution, it's the driver's obligation it use caution on the track, and be extra alert when approaching the spot of the on track incident!

From many of the comments, I guessing that most of those posting here have a somewhat limited knowledge of racing, race vehicle dynamics, dirt track racing or the rules for racing under caution. I've been around racing much of my life, and still am. Other than some autocrossing and a driving school, I've never raced, but I've crewed for both professional and amateur race teams. It's hard to tell from the video, but the yellow would have likely come out, as soon as Ward's car came to a stop. It doesn't appear from the video, that the pace car had picked up the field yet, but the field still should have slowed to something close to whatever the track's caution period speed was. Additionally, Stewart would have been aware of the incident, and where it took place. Even if he didn't see the wreck, the team would have made him aware of it by radio. I don't know if he was using a spotter in that race, but he likely was, but even if he wasn't, his crew chief would have told him. It's just normal procedure, even in Saturday night dirt track racing.

If the track wasn't under caution, then the track's lack of action, would clearly be a contributing factor, in his death, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Stewart has always been a hot headed jerk. It's a persona that Stewart has created for himself, and he revels in it. From throwing helmets, to punching other drivers, breaking photographer's cameras, shoving a female fan, punching a track safety worker, calling reporters names and fighting with officials; this is all "classic" Stewart. Unfortunately for him, because of his past behavior, he's probably not going to get the benefit of the doubt in this situation, and he probably doesn't deserve it either.

Ward's actions clearly contributed to his death, and it's a shame, but I believe that Stewart has to share in that blame, even if it was truly an accident.
More assumptions. National news said no spotters and no direct contact with drivers in this race. A driver should be watching out alright but he wasn't near the car. I would think it's hard to see a man in a black suit and black helmet at night walking on the track where no one should have been.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:54 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Godholio

...except Stewart, the guy that walled him in the first place.
Looks like this guy WARD ran over Tony's right rear wheel and that is what spun him into the fence.

This guy Ward is the one with the anger problem. He was mad because he and Tony got a little too tight on the previous straightaway and then Ward tried to run over him in the next turn.

Look at the video again. And next time, stay in your car until the track is clear. Where is the support for personal responsibility?

Last edited by MikeM; 08-10-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by MikeM
And next time, stay in your car until the track is clear. Where is the support for personal responsibility?
Next time?
Old 08-10-2014, 04:01 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
What was young Kevin Ward, 25 ish?
Age 20
Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Bottom line. Tony Stewart's life is ruined. He has to live the rest of it knowing that a person is dead and that he is involved. No sane person can believe that it was an intentional act on Stewart's part. Sometimes life just stinks.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

Very sad day in Racing. He should stay in car until safety crew arrives. Prayers to his family. No way Tony tried to hit him. So sad.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

What was young Kevin Ward, 25 ish? Where you the einstein you are now when you were 25? Probably not. He may have had anger issues. So does Stewart. All the people in professional racing are pretty intense competitors. The kid should have kept his seat, his cool and his life. Still, when a crash happens, whether caution is out or not, drivers should use caution, and slow down. There shouldn't be anyone on foot on the track but there very well can be. This is a tragedy for the Ward family and all who knew and cared about him. That his demise was primarily caused by his own stupid actions does not make it less so.
What's yer point? The lynch mob here is saying this is all Stewart's fault because:

a) he has an anger problem

b) he has a history of being a butthead

c) he caused the wreck and then tried to throw dirt in the guys face.

I just gave a response to those allegations and that's all they are. There is one known fact here and that is, if this guy Ward had stayed in his car, he'd be around to tell all his fans about a, b and c.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Again, Monday-morning quarterbacks, people who weren't there, people who want to impress everyone with how much they think they know about these two drivers, that particular track, and racing in general. Those who hate Tony Stewart are quick to label him a murderer. Those who are Tony Stewart fans all hold him blameless. You aren't going to learn anything new from what footage of the incident is currently available.

Let the investigation run its course.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

he and his family and many friends would have liked to see Tony Stewart try his best to miss him. ....
This is an unsubstantiated, baseless allegation that can be disputed by "carefully" watching the video.

Last edited by MikeM; 08-10-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

When you are racing, your eye has to go all over the track, Rt., L., and around the next corner. You can't see everything at the same time.

Nowhere in the drivers manual does it say "watch out for somebody running in front of you delibertly trying to get in your face!"
Old 08-10-2014, 05:33 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

This is really sad. My prayers to Ward's family and Stewart's. The video clip is going to be damaging. Too bad common sense didn't kick in and all the drivers slow or stop to get the fool ( Ward) off the track. That said, Ward's foolish behavior was not something he deserved to die for.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:38 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi
This is really sad. My prayers to Ward's family and Stewart's. The video clip is going to be damaging. Too bad common sense didn't kick in and all the drivers slow or stop to get the fool ( Ward) off the track. That said, Ward's foolish behavior was not something he deserved to die for.
They did slow, it was caution laps.

Get notified of new replies

To Tony Stewart kill another driver

Old 08-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
OK, so what's the problem???????????????
What's the difference in someone walking out in front of some race cars at speed and walking out in the middle of Interstate traffic. Not too bright on his part. It may be good that he is removed from the gene pool.
DUH!
Tom, I really like you BUT...that comment is disgraceful.

Brett
Old 08-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Originally Posted by MikeM
I am no sprint car driver but a lot of the steering is done with the rear tires.

If you closely watch the video, you can see Stewart goose the throttle with the front wheels cut to the RIGHT after the front of his car passed the pedestrian.

To me, that says he was using the throttle to kick the back end of the car AWAY from the guy on foot, not into him.

If you watch the press conference he is holding after while, you can hear all about it.
When you punch the throttle, the rear of the car kicks to the right. An experienced race car driver knows this, as Tony did. Probably trying to throw dirt up on Ward. Sad...
Old 08-10-2014, 06:22 PM
GC2X4
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Tom, I really like you BUT...that comment is disgraceful.

Brett
I don't know Tom....and really don't care too.
Brett I agree with you....disgraceful!!

Quick Reply: Tony Stewart kill another driver