C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tony Stewart kill another driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
Look at your line.. and look where Ward is standing/walking..he steps down into the path of Stewart...the reason Stewart's car did what it did is because of Ward getting ran over..
Why was Stewart's car higher up on the track than the car before him? Did Ward walk down into Stewart's path as you assert, or did Stewart drive higher up the track as the frame by frame analysis shows.....?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
I made the presentation to provide an unbiased review of the facts. Never have I taken a side. And your comment does not address the throttle up swing direction. However, I'll state:

1. Ward should not have walked onto the track
2. Ward's action put him in grave danger
3. Stewart goosed the throttle and swung his right rear tire into Ward
4. It's a tragedy

Do you refute that on these Sprint cars that throttling up swings the cars counter-clock?...NOPE

Ward didn't get run over by the front right tire, only the right rear. Initially, he was hit by the right rear tire, then under. Tell me how that happened. Why not the front right tire?
Look at the 2nd frame...if he got hit at that point, wouldn't it cause the cars front end to turn right and allow it to drift up track...?
But look at the 3rd frame and where Ward would be standing...he came down into the path and from what i can tell the front tire, 'might' have got him...
Old 08-11-2014, 08:58 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Why was Stewart's car higher up on the track than the car before him? Did Ward walk down into Stewart's path as you assert, or did Stewart drive higher up the track as the frame by frame analysis shows.....?
Look at the line through his helmet...then its in his armpit...depending on the bank of track he could be 3 feet further down into the path...
Old 08-11-2014, 09:07 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Look at the line through his helmet...then its in his armpit...depending on the bank of track he could be 3 feet further down into the path...
I see the green line going through his helmet in the fifth frame of the blue car sequence as that car has gone by him, and then in that same location in the first two frames of the Stewart car sequence. It looks to me like Ward was in the same track position after the blue car went by him and as Stewart approached. I do not see him having moved further down the track towards Stewart, I see Stewart further up the track than the blue car.

Thus - why did the blue car not hit Ward, but Stewart did.........?

Last edited by tuxnharley; 08-11-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-11-2014, 09:15 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

That's a great idea - if Stewart hadn't tampered with the evidence and removed the very object that killed Ward, namely his right rear tire.
Or...the investigators took it off for evidence..
Originally Posted by MrPandy
Or confiscated.

(66jack beat me to it)
I don't think the investigators would remove the tire as the entire car is an intact piece of evidence. That would approach spoliation of evidence.

wikipedia: "The spoliation of evidence is the intentional or negligent withholding, hiding, altering, or destroying of evidence relevant to a legal proceeding"

That said, just an FYI, these sprint cars cannot be put on the haulers (see them in background) without first changing out the much wider right rear tire as it makes the car want to go left. It's possible that they were preparing the load Stewart's car on the hauler and not trying to tamper with evidence. I can be objective about this. Can you?

Rear right tire

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamlongo...35249567199232
Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think the investigators would remove the tire as the entire car is an intact piece of evidence. That would approach spoliation of evidence.

wikipedia: "The spoliation of evidence is the intentional or negligent withholding, hiding, altering, or destroying of evidence relevant to a legal proceeding"

That said, just an FYI, these sprint cars cannot be put on the haulers (see them in background) without first changing out the much wider right rear tire as it makes the car want to go left. It's possible that they were preparing the load Stewart's car on the hauler and not trying to tamper with evidence. I can be objective about this. Can you?

Rear right tire

Fair enough, but why would they be trying to load it on a trailer and take it away when they knew it had just run over another driver?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Look at the 2nd frame...if he got hit at that point, wouldn't it cause the cars front end to turn right and allow it to drift up track...?
But look at the 3rd frame and where Ward would be standing...he came down into the path and from what i can tell the front tire, 'might' have got him...
He didn't get hit in the second frame I presented in the composition. Look at the last three frames where he was still standing when hit by the right rear tire, then the tire captured him and he was lowered down and under the car.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Fair enough, but why would they be trying to load it on a trailer and take it away when they knew it had just run over another driver?
I can't tell you that because I don't know their intentions. We can only review the facts from video and pictures as they are. The investigators might interview everyone and the authorities can determine what's next.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:44 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I can't tell you that because I don't know their intentions. We can only review the facts from video and pictures as they are. The investigators might interview everyone and the authorities can determine what's next.
True, but at the very least it shows absolutely callous disregard and insensitivity towards what had just happened.........

"yeah we ran over the guy but let's just load up and get outta here".....
Old 08-11-2014, 09:52 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

OK, looks like it's confirmed. Someone removed the right rear tire which hit Ward and replaced it with a left rear tire.

Sheriffs on scene, look at the right rear tire. That's not the one in the race.

Here's the actual right rear tire used in racing (much wider tire, notice wheel)

Here's the left rear tire/wheel on the correct left side

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 08-12-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

From the supplied audio and video can anyone say with any level of certainty that they can hear the engine rev and see the car react to the engine revving simultaneously?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:24 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I sure wish I could see whatever you guys are seeing. I don't see anything either way in those frames except two cars going by. Must be my computer isn't as good or the screen isn't as large. or something.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 PM
MrPandy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I sure wish I could see whatever you guys are seeing. I don't see anything either way in those frames except two cars going by. Must be my computer isn't as good or the screen isn't as large. or something.
When you want to see something badly enough, you often can.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

If you have an Apple MAC computer: hold down the key COMMAND and press + or - to zoom in / out.

On a PC computer, hold down Windows logo key and press +

This will let you zoom into/out of web pages
Old 08-11-2014, 10:42 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Everyone sees what they want to in this...good/bad, pro/con...It's no different than anything else in their daily lives! The reality is, if the kid hadn't jumped out and ran down to aggressively to confront Stewart, then he'd still be alive...The race would've been over soon and he could have accomplished that later, face to face, if he truly had to...

It's truly sad he's dead, but even though he was only 20 years old, he'd been racing since age 4...It's not like he was new to this and didn't know better...

I don't know about you, but I'm never going to run head into a car coming anywhere near me at 60 mph if I can possibly avoid it...
Old 08-11-2014, 10:43 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrPandy
When you want to see something badly enough, you often can.
You mean like the fantasy that cops will remove a tire from an intact car that killed someone because it was the tire that did it, not the whole car? That kind of selective vision?

(see your quotation above on this page)
Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If you have an Apple MAC computer: hold down the key COMMAND and press + or - to zoom in / out.

On a PC computer, hold down Windows logo key and press +

This will let you zoom into/out of web pages
I did that, all I see is a larger version of a car. I don't know where anyone is seeing all that about rear tire and going under and turning wheel one way or another. I guess that's why they didn't ask me to examine the Zapruder tape.

Get notified of new replies

To Tony Stewart kill another driver

Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
I don't know about you, but I'm never going to run head into a car coming anywhere near me at 60 mph if I can possibly avoid it...
They were not going 60 mph, it was under a yellow, caution

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 08-12-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

I did that, all I see is a larger version of a car. I don't know where anyone is seeing all that about rear tire and going under and turning wheel one way or another. I guess that's why they didn't ask me to examine the Zapruder tape.
Ah, the old trusty ad hominem. Noted.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:56 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I think people don't know the difference between a winged sprint car, and the NASCAR series sponsored by Sprint communications.

Quick Reply: Tony Stewart kill another driver