C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tony Stewart kill another driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Daren67

Now if someone can tell me what is holding down my 67 Vette L-79 distributor after raising it one inch that I am trying to remove (and send to Lars) I would be happy.

Back in the days of engine sludge, I have seen so much of it packed around the distributor housing that it took a short crowbar to jack them out of the hole.

Today, I would guess you have slight misalignment between your intake and your block. Or you're not holding your mouth right. Just a guess.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:30 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

the Times Union
http://blog.timesunion.com/sports/ph...405/#6449101=0
Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It appears that they have some new video footage showing a better angle of what happened. Hopefully this will put this tragedy to rest, one way or the other.

I guess they'll release it to the public, once they finish investigation.

RK
Old 08-12-2014, 11:36 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by MikeM
Ward chose to charge down the banking, into the racing groove and into Stewart's path. I don't know why you bleeding hearts can't understand who is at fault here.

Bottom line!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Look at the position of Ward at the end of the 34 second mark of the original video. He was so close to the car that if you consider the width of the right rear tire, there is not a thing Stewart could have done to avoid this.
I can't see any differance in position from the Blue car and Stewarts until contact was made.
I don't have any reason to wish to see it one way or the other.
Thoughts and prayers to both families.
Larry
Old 08-12-2014, 03:18 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPandy
When you want to see something badly enough, you often can.
........and when you don't want to see something you can deny it exists and allege that others are making it up.............
Old 08-12-2014, 03:27 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Godholio
Intent doesn't necessarily matter for manslaughter. I don't think many people in here actually think Stewart intended to kill Ward (which would be murder) but rather made a mistake or misjudgment that led directly to Ward's death (which could be manslaughter).
Exactly! Perhaps some individuals here don't understand the legal system any better than some other individuals think others don't understand the difference between sprint cars and Sprint Cup...........

Last edited by tuxnharley; 08-12-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy G.

Here's the view from the driver's seat of a winged sprint car that was posted in PR&C.

That picture is a pretty obvious misrepresentation.I doubt there was a pickup truck cross wise in front of Stewart on the track and reflecting sun into his eyes, especially since the race was at night.. He could probably see just a tad more and further than what that view shows.........

No charges will be filed.

If not, Stewart will have been given a very lucky break.

Fact - Stewart's car hit Ward

Fact - Ward is dead

Those two facts alone raise the possibility of involuntary manslaughter.

For those of you who say Ward "ran into Stewart's path" you are presuming his state of mind, just as some have argued that those who think Stewart might be at fault are judging his state of mind. You might as well just say the kid was trying to get hit..........

Last edited by tuxnharley; 08-12-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:26 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

All pointless conjecture. Let the officials and the courts settle it.

Regardless of the outcome, Stewart is still an a$$hole. Not one of my favorite race legends. He needs to be on Beta blockers.

If he blipped the throttle to intentionally hit Ward? Most likley, Stewart will be the only one who really knows for sure.

Last but not least. A promising young man made a very serious judgement call that cost him his life. No do overs.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:33 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

According to this witness in the following link, Stewart's #14 car was already loaded up in the car hauler before the authorities could get to it, the right rear tire/wheel was already removed and replaced with a smaller left rear tire and they were ready to leave the scene after already altering evidence involved in a fatality.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:39 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
According to this witness in the following link, Stewart's #14 car was already loaded up in the car hauler before the authorities could get to it, the right rear tire/wheel was already removed and replaced with a smaller left rear tire and they were ready to leave the scene after already altering evidence involved in a fatality.

Telephone Interview of Witness in Tony Stewart / Kevin Ward Racing Incident - YouTube
Not lookin' good for "Smoke"............
Old 08-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast

Telephone Interview of Witness in Tony Stewart / Kevin Ward Racing Incident - YouTube
All BS. Don't a lot of teams put equal size rear tires on the car so it's easier to move around and will fit between the inside walls and cabinets of a trailer?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:23 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

All BS. Don't a lot of teams put equal size rear tires on the car so it's easier to move around and will fit between the inside walls and cabinets of a trailer?
Which part is B.S.?

A page or so before, I was the one who also said in order to load the car into the trailer, you had to remove the larger right rear tire since it tends left, not straight.

According to this witness, Stewart's team loaded his car into the hauler before the sheriff/investigators could take a look at it. Is that B.S.?

According to this witness, the sheriff ordered them to unload it. Is this B.S.?

According to the photo above, that indeed is a left rear tire, which means the tire/wheel the #14 car raced with was removed from the car after a fatality occurred. Is this B.S.?

Let me ask you a question. If you got into an accident, whether on the public roads, or on a race track, would you remove the wheel which hit the person, accidentally, and load up your car to take home before the authorities could look at it? Is this B.S.?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:24 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

sure - but the difference here is that this was after a fatal accident. Most folks know to stick around and wait for the Authorities after they run over somebody. Surely you're not suggesting that Stewart's team was so insensitive - or worse - as to not understand that?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:15 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Guys, for some reason people on each side of this debate are particularly passionate. That is evident here and in the 30-ish page conversation on the same subject in OT.

Regardless of your opinion, please stay on topic and leave the personal remarks out of it so we can leave the thread open. Attack ideas, not members.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Guys, for some reason people on each side of this debate are particularly passionate. That is evident here and in the 30-ish page conversation on the same subject in OT.

Regardless of your opinion, please stay on topic and leave the personal remarks out of it so we can leave the thread open. Attack ideas, not members.

Thanks.
I thought we had changed the subject and started pulling distributors. See post #160!

Old 08-12-2014, 06:30 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I thought we had changed the subject and started pulling distributors. See post #160!

I'm always a day late.

Get notified of new replies

To Tony Stewart kill another driver

Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
That's a pretty broad brush criticism of a large group of folks here in this thread. I think you're wrong and most folks clearly do understand the difference between the two types of racing.

Perhaps you would like to clarify your statement and/or modify your posting?
Still on the offensive I see. There are multiple instances in this thread where it appears posters are confusing nascar with sprint cars.

I will however make it easy for you. Based on your previous attack on me, I'm done with this forum. Good luck
Old 08-12-2014, 08:27 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869

Thanks.
Seems like this "discussion" has pretty well reached it's inevitable non-conclusion here anyway, and is now reduced to just a couple people hanging on in hopes of getting in the last words of wisdom.
With the topic going strong over in OT anyway, can't this forum be returned to it's intended format of c-1 and c2?

Russ
Old 08-12-2014, 08:27 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

I don't take any of this personally, it's a discussion. If we weren't meant to discuss, we would grunt. But then, maybe some might be offended by grunting.

nevermind

Quick Reply: Tony Stewart kill another driver