C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

c1 steering box question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:36 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Default c1 steering box question

I have a question regarding my steering on my 1958 I have the pitman arm disconnected from the steering box
when I turn the steering wheel it's nice and smooth, as it approaches centre I feel a little more resistants then it loosens off for a very very short time and then back to a little resistant, then after it passes center smooth again.
Is there an adjustment to correct this or is this something that has worn?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Wilbur - You're describing the normal way a solid axle Vette's steering should feel. Not to say you don't have some wear involved but feeling stronger resistance at center is correct and normal. If you feel some unusual 'notchiness' or resistance bumps along the way (other than dead center), then there's a chance someone incorrectly adjusted the box and galling or spalling of the sector roller might be happening.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 08-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Larry Chilton
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wilbur,

I rebuilt my 62 steering box recently. Internals were okay but it needed adjustments to get it back into good working order.

As I understand it, the only resistance (and only slight) should be felt when passing the steering wheel over center/straight ahead. If you have resistance at other times while turning the wheel from lock to lock, you may have some worn bearings and/or gears and shafts.

You can re-adjust the steering box by following the instructions in the Corvette Servicing Guide ST-12 or by referring to videos by Tom Parsons.

Also, may want to check for lubricant. A dry box could cause some resistance felt in the wheel. Originally, the box held 80-90 wt gear lube but more recently, quality axle grease is recommended.

Good luck,

Larry
Old 08-21-2014, 02:52 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Yes I understand that there should be some resistants*at center but what concerns me is the small gap between resistants.
could adjustment be made to fix this gap and how?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'm no expert but my 61 doesn't feel that way at all. The whole front end was rebuilt by the previous owner and it feels smooth and consistent.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Larry Chilton
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wilbur,

Seriously doubt that any adjustments are going to fix the "gaps" that you notice when turning the steering wheel. Should be smooth with no resistance except while passing center. Also, properly adjusted box with good internals should steer straight ahead without having to constantly re-center the wheel from side to side.

Larry
Old 08-21-2014, 04:28 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by wilbur
Yes I understand that there should be some resistants*at center but what concerns me is the small gap between resistants.
could adjustment be made to fix this gap and how?
If you have any roughness or uneven rotation, it's probably a result of spalling on the worm gear (photo below) or on the sector roller that mates with it (good one shown in second photo), or both. You can't "adjust it out" - it requires part replacement.
Attached Images    
Old 08-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Wilbur - I think I read too quickly through your opening post. Are you saying that 'besides' the resistance you feel on centerline, once you come off that center point you have some slack and then resistance builds again? It should only be felt on center. If you're sure about where center is located, once you come off that mark you shouldn't find the resistance building again. If you do, that's what I was referring to as 'notchiness'. My 61 had a seriously bad steering box when I bought it. Plenty of lube present but I believe someone tried a shortcut and overtightened the lash screw resulting in my sector roller looking similar to the worm gear in JohnZ's pic.

Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 08-21-2014, 06:19 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

I was hoping that that wasn't going to be the problem.
Thanks for all your replys

Get notified of new replies

To c1 steering box question

Quick Reply: c1 steering box question