C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 Holley Carb… Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Wow, haven't heard THAT name in awhile. One last suggestion. Other than the fuel line, it's not a bad idea to run another, smaller throttle spring, inside the large one to avoid a stuck throttle due to a broken spring.

BTW, the motor must have been warm when you took that last set of pics and choke is most definitely opening.

Last edited by Gary's '66; 08-23-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Wow, haven't heard THAT name in awhile. One last suggestion. Other than the fuel line, it's not a bad idea to run another, smaller throttle spring, inside the large one to avoid a stuck throttle due to a broken spring.
Smart. Will do. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Forum Question

Kerouac - the owners reviewing your questions are some of the best - IMO

I have a general question about the 2nd and 3rd pictures taken from the passenger side.

- It appears there is a pcv valve under the choke coil/above the rocker cover.

On my 65' - L79 the hose from the oil fill goes to the metered 90* fitting above the throttle linkage, and there is no PCV valve.

Kerouac's is routed from the 90* fitting around the back of the Holley to the PCV then engine oil fill.

Is the PCV valve an add on? - is it doing anything in this arrangement?

Is the 90* a metered 90* fitting - any issue with this arrangement not venting the crank case correctly?

Phil

Last edited by 856666; 08-23-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:52 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Consider the target...

Originally Posted by Kerouac
I'm inclined to agree, Gary. I, personally, LOVE the smell. It's better than Hai Karate!
Hai Karate was supposed to attract women, not men.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 856666
Kerouac - the owners reviewing your questions are some of the best - IMO

I have a general question about the 2nd and 3rd pictures taken from the passenger side.

- It appears there is a pcv valve under the choke coil/above the rocker cover.

On my 65' - L79 the hose from the oil fill goes to the metered 90* fitting above the throttle linkage, and there is no PCV valve.

Kerouac's is routed from the 90* fitting around the back of the Holley to the PCV then engine oil fill.

Is the PCV valve an add on? - is it doing anything in this arrangement?

Is the 90* a metered 90* fitting - any issue with this arrangement not venting the crank case correctly?

Phil
Phil: I'm unqualified to answer your questions, but I'll be interested in the responses of others. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SI67
Hai Karate was supposed to attract women, not men.
Ouch.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:01 PM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't see the clean air hose that plugs to the nipple on the underside of the air cleaner and goes to a tube between the RH exhaust manifold and the cyl head. This shows well in 65tripleblack's photo, and is just rearward of the hot air (return) tube that goes to the choke stove. Otherwise, there is no filtered cold feed to the exhaust manifold internal tube, is then heated, and goes from there to the choke. Over time, this could impact operation of the choke piston, etc.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Can't see in the photos with the upper ignition shield in place, but you apparently have an MSD distributor without a vacuum advance unit, which seriously compromises the ability to tune the engine properly, particularly at idle and city traffic speeds, and will cause it to run hotter than normal at those speeds. You need a distributor that has/accepts a vacuum advance unit, connected to a full manifold vacuum source. What you have now is a Bubba "hot-rod" distributor added by mistake by a previous owner.

Your PCV system has a double restriction - the black hose that runs around the back of the carburetor, then forward on the right side to the oil fill tube, has a silvery PCV valve spliced into it; 65's didn't use a PCV valve - that metering restriction is already built into the 90* brass fitting at the driver's side of the carburetor, so the (added) PCV valve isn't seeing manifold vacuum. See the photos below of a '65 like yours for proper installation/routing of the PCV hose and the vacuum advance line from the carburetor to the distributor.
Attached Images     

Last edited by JohnZ; 08-23-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Can't see in the photos with the upper ignition shield in place, but you apparently have an MSD distributor without a vacuum advance unit, which seriously compromises the ability to tune the engine properly, particularly at idle and city traffic speeds, and will cause it to run hotter than normal at those speeds. You need a distributor that has/accepts a vacuum advance unit, connected to a full manifold vacuum source. What you have now is a Bubba "hot-rod" distributor added by mistake by a previous owner.

Your PCV system has a double restriction - the black hose that runs around the back of the carburetor, then forward on the right side to the oil fill tube, has a silvery PCV valve spliced into it; 65's didn't use a PCV valve - that metering restriction is already built into the 90* brass fitting at the driver's side of the carburetor, so the (added) PCV valve isn't seeing manifold vacuum. See the photos below of a '65 like yours for proper installation/routing of the PCV hose and the vacuum advance line from the carburetor to the distributor.
I appreciate the detailed answer, John. Thanks very much. The things you are describing are beyond my capabilities as of now, but I do have some trusted people around I will consult with. Despite the configuration, the car runs fantastically, and I am somewhat hesitant to make some large-scale changes (i.e., putting in a different distributor). Other than aesthetics and making the car "correct," are the issues you raise a problem? The car currently has no problems at idle, at city traffic speeds, or on the highway. No overheating. No stalling, etc. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by midstyle
I don't see the clean air hose that plugs to the nipple on the underside of the air cleaner and goes to a tube between the RH exhaust manifold and the cyl head. This shows well in 65tripleblack's photo, and is just rearward of the hot air (return) tube that goes to the choke stove. Otherwise, there is no filtered cold feed to the exhaust manifold internal tube, is then heated, and goes from there to the choke. Over time, this could impact operation of the choke piston, etc.
Thanks, midstyle. Still learning and this is good stuff to be aware of.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 856666
Hi Kerouac

My garage and interior has a gas smell due to my 65 L79 Holley -it's a great aroma that some don't get.

In addition, the exhaust is a little sooty - like yours - but I have pulled the plugs and they are not sooty and it runs well so I am leaving it alone.

Small adjustments to the carb can go south quickly so keep good documentation if you adjust in case you need to put it back.

Phil
Ditto My 63 conv with a SB400 Holley double Pumper carb always makes the garage smell of fuel, just barely...I guess it's just the Big Dog Vette letting my wife's Honda Hybrid Civic know who's boss! uh oh...
Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 63redvette
Ditto My 63 conv with a SB400 Holley double Pumper carb always makes the garage smell of fuel, just barely...I guess it's just the Big Dog Vette letting my wife's Honda Hybrid Civic know who's boss! uh oh...
"I love the smell of fuel in the morning. It smells like... victory."
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 AM
Usafstingray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel line from the filter is supposed to be rubber on the L76. Your PCV setup is screwy and unnecessary. Pull the brass L shaped fitting coming from the crankcase vent on the drivers side there in your picture. Check that it has a small orifice inside the threaded part that's .090 in diameter. That's effectively the PCV. reinstall it and swivel it around to face forward and run the hose directly to the oil filler tube. This will eliminate the extra hose wrapped around your carb and the unnecessary in line PCV valve. I had a post earlier today on this setup and got some help from John Z. This won't fix your odor problem but will earn you a few points for originality.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Kerouac,
While there may be a few tweaks that still need to be made the fumes/exhaust smell is, to a degree, just the nature of the beast. People these days aren't used to the smell of ANY exhaust fumes. You say the car is running "magnificently". My philosophy has always been "if it ain't broke don't fix it"! I say screw the neighbors, and just close the windows and run the a/c when the wife is riding along.
As far as the pics, the only thing I'd be concerned with is the rubber fuel line. I'd go hard line or at the very least put some shielding over it.
Gary
This was my thinking as well. Today's new cars are sanitary from a open fuel smell and emissions standpoint to a degree not known in 50 year old cars. Hard to quantify, but a certain amount of gas and fume smell is normal for these cars.

My wife can always tell when I've taken the '65 out, as a result of the fumes it leaves in the garage.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Usafstingray
The fuel line from the filter is supposed to be rubber on the L76. Your PCV setup is screwy and unnecessary. Pull the brass L shaped fitting coming from the crankcase vent on the drivers side there in your picture. Check that it has a small orifice inside the threaded part that's .090 in diameter. That's effectively the PCV. reinstall it and swivel it around to face forward and run the hose directly to the oil filler tube. This will eliminate the extra hose wrapped around your carb and the unnecessary in line PCV valve. I had a post earlier today on this setup and got some help from John Z. This won't fix your odor problem but will earn you a few points for originality.
Thanks for the help. I'm going to talk to a trusted mechanic about all this and decide what to do.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
This was my thinking as well. Today's new cars are sanitary from a open fuel smell and emissions standpoint to a degree not known in 50 year old cars. Hard to quantify, but a certain amount of gas and fume smell is normal for these cars.

My wife can always tell when I've taken the '65 out, as a result of the fumes it leaves in the garage.
The kind of smell I'm talking about clings to my clothes after I drive. I'm really starting to think it's a fuel smell, which I why I have another thread going that started with me asking if my gas cap should be vented or not. Getting some good help over there, too. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerouac
The kind of smell I'm talking about clings to my clothes after I drive. I'm really starting to think it's a fuel smell, which I why I have another thread going that started with me asking if my gas cap should be vented or not. Getting some good help over there, too. Thanks.
Is the rear weatherstrip/seal still in place at the rear of your hood? If not, engine compartment fumes will enter the car through the cowl vent grilles between the bottom of the windshield and the rear of the hood and come in through the kickpad fresh air vents.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 Holley Carb… Help!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Is the rear weatherstrip/seal still in place at the rear of your hood? If not, engine compartment fumes will enter the car through the cowl vent grilles between the bottom of the windshield and the rear of the hood and come in through the kickpad fresh air vents.
Not to mention the extra heat.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:05 AM
Usafstingray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah....The smell that clings....it's all relative. Mine stinks too and clings and sometimes follows me into the house...along with the grin on my face when I get back from driving it.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:16 AM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, John, I checked the weatherstrip/seal and it is in place and in good condition. Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: 1965 Holley Carb… Help!