C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 Holley Carb… Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:16 AM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Usafstingray
Ah....The smell that clings....it's all relative. Mine stinks too and clings and sometimes follows me into the house...along with the grin on my face when I get back from driving it.
Likewise, pal. Likewise.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 AM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Not to mention the extra heat.
Checked it and it's there and good.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:30 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

So..................the basic question now becomes........................how old is Kerouac and where was he in 1965?
Old 08-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
So..................the basic question now becomes........................how old is Kerouac and where was he in 1965?
I will be 58 in March. In 1965 I was a seven-year-old kid on Long Island. A guy on my block who had just gotten out of the service bought a Nassau Blue Corvette. I would stare at that car for hours and tell myself, "Someday I'm going to own one." And now I do.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerouac
I will be 58 in March. In 1965 I was a seven-year-old kid on Long Island. A guy on my block who had just gotten out of the service bought a Nassau Blue Corvette. I would stare at that car for hours and tell myself, "Someday I'm going to own one." And now I do.
Golly, I spent a lot of time on Lon Guyland growing up in the early sixties. Grandparents lived in East Northport and Aunt, Uncle and cousins in Syosset. I'm only a few years older than you, but remember how common it was for cars to overheat in traffic. Especially on the way to Jones Beach or Fire Island. Getting stuck in traffic on a hot, sticky day could cause your eyes to water from the heavy , still air mixed with exhaust fumes.

An older guy on the next block from me in Bensonhurst owned a '63 coupe, black, with a worked 427 and a Holley Dominator/tunnel ram setup. He took this little 16 year old for a ride and almost put me out the back windows!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Kerouac
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Golly, I spent a lot of time on Lon Guyland growing up in the early sixties. Grandparents lived in East Northport and Aunt, Uncle and cousins in Syosset. I'm only a few years older than you, but remember how common it was for cars to overheat in traffic. Especially on the way to Jones Beach or Fire Island. Getting stuck in traffic on a hot, sticky day could cause your eyes to water from the heavy , still air mixed with exhaust fumes.

An older guy on the next block from me in Bensonhurst owned a '63 coupe, black, with a worked 427 and a Holley Dominator/tunnel ram setup. He took this little 16 year old for a ride and almost put me out the back windows!
Cool story. Here's another: A buddy told me that his older brother bought a 67 and was about to take him for his first ride in it. The older brother licked a $10 bill, stuck it on the inside of the windshield, and told my buddy if he could take the bill off the windshield he could have it. Then he ripped through the gears, pinning my buddy to the back of his seat. Never reached the $10 bill.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Charlemagne65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kerouac: Did you ever make any changes to your Carb, that resulted in less exhaust fumes? My '64 L-76 has terrible exhaust fumes and after driving only 15 miles stop and start traffic, I had to go take a shower! Even my clothes stunk! The fumes were really bad! It also seems like the longer I drove the car, the worse it ran. I think it must be something with the carb? Looking for a little insight
Old 12-12-2017, 11:05 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlemagne65
Kerouac: Did you ever make any changes to your Carb, that resulted in less exhaust fumes? My '64 L-76 has terrible exhaust fumes and after driving only 15 miles stop and start traffic, I had to go take a shower! Even my clothes stunk! The fumes were really bad! It also seems like the longer I drove the car, the worse it ran. I think it must be something with the carb? Looking for a little insight
Is the hood-to-body weatherstrip in place across the rear of the hood? If not, underhood fumes will leave through that gap and go directly into the cowl vents (and into the car through the kickpad vents) and over the windshield into your face if it's a convertible.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2017, 11:22 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlemagne65
Kerouac:

My '64 L-76 has terrible exhaust fumes and after driving only 15 miles stop and start traffic, I had to go take a shower! Even my clothes stunk! The fumes were really bad! It also seems like the longer I drove the car, the worse it ran. I think it must be something with the carb? Looking for a little insight
gasoline/exhaust fumes shouldn't be a problem like you describe.

My guess, your carb is flooding/leaking and/or your plugs are fouling.
The following users liked this post:
Charlemagne65 (12-15-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 11:35 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

If that MSD distributor does not have a vacuum advance, cant see it in the pictures, it is intended for racing. You should replace it with a distributor that has a vacuum advance. The car will run better and the smell will be reduced.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Charlemagne65
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeM

Mike. I'm thinking the same thing! I had a flooding issue a few weeks ago. I pulled the float needle and cleaned it up. At the time, I had a continuous drip in the front barrels. I thought cleaning it up fixed the problem. Will detonation be created by flooding? Because it got worse the more I drove the car. I think I need to check the float level now?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Kerouac,
While there may be a few tweaks that still need to be made the fumes/exhaust smell is, to a degree, just the nature of the beast. People these days aren't used to the smell of ANY exhaust fumes. You say the car is running "magnificently". My philosophy has always been "if it ain't broke don't fix it"! I say screw the neighbors, and just close the windows and run the a/c when the wife is riding along.
As far as the pics, the only thing I'd be concerned with is the rubber fuel line. I'd go hard line or at the very least put some shielding over it.
Gary
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a 65 365 also, the aroma is an acquired scent.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:39 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I suspect there is more than one in this thread that needs to work on their carburetor.

Last edited by MikeM; 12-13-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Charlemagne65
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeM

Mike. I'm thinking the same thing! I had a flooding issue a few weeks ago. I pulled the float needle and cleaned it up. At the time, I had a continuous drip in the front barrels. I thought cleaning it up fixed the problem. Will detonation be created by flooding? Because it got worse the more I drove the car. I think I need to check the float level now? I pulled the 5/8" nut/screw on top and gas was spewing out! I need to better understand how to adjust the float level. It looks like the screw is already cranked down on the nut. Help!

Quick Reply: 1965 Holley Carb… Help!