C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Handling on C1 with C4 Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:20 PM
billyhi
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling on C1 with C4 Suspension?

I'm shopping for a 56-57 project car for a resto-mod. I'm leaning toward the Corvette Correction frame with c4 front suspension. Unfortunately, I started getting cold feet on my plans when I read this article about the Concept57 build which says,

The steering took some getting used to as well. Because of the power steering rack and pinion, there was very little feel in the steering wheel. Henry plans on adjusting the valving in the system to give a little more feedback in the steering wheel.
(That build used a different frame with c4 suspension, but I'm not sure Henry's issues were specific to his frame choice.)

That would be a show stopper for me. I'm currently driving the 57 Bel Air that dad and I restored years ago. He did a PS and disc brake conversion later. The car now has pretty much zero steering effort and zero steering feel. I couldn't drive a car like that long term (the Bel Air will be going up for sale in a few weeks or months).

I admit I may have fairly high expectations for sports car handling (that damn Porsche I owned years ago ruined me - current GTI VR6 is pretty good too).

What hope do I have of getting a resto-mod suspension that could aggressively attack a slalom course with confidence (not that I do that - just need to feel like it sometimes)? Or is this one of he compromises I need to get comfortable with when driving a modified 55 year old vehicle?
Old 09-26-2014, 06:35 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm not sure my experience is a valid comparison to what you are considering, but I'll offer it for what its worth. My Cobra replica was built expressly for SCCA racing with a 4" tube frame and C4 suspension front and rear. Of course it was modified some to fit (e.g., shortened front monospring). It has the Corvette power rack and pinion steering which is greatly appreciated in a car with very wide wheels/tires. ... I am very much a novice track guy, and I had very little feel for how the car was responding when I first starting doing track days. I seldom knew when the back end was going to let go in a turn, so I spun it safely at least 20 times over a couple of years. But, when I got to do three track days in a row, I was finally able to feel the edge without stepping over it. The feedback was subtle, but it was there for a more experienced driver to feel.

The bottom line is that the steering feedback isn't obvious like in some other cars, but if you want to have a car with aggressively wide tires to handle the power, and be able to parallel park it sometimes, that compromise may be the price you have to pay in a 60's vintage sports car.

Last edited by kellsdad; 09-27-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

With a Corvette Correction chassis...it has nothing to do with driving a 55 year old vehicle. It drives like a C-4 Corvette, some say even better because of the increased frame rigidity and small difference in wheel base.

If you really want to know how it feels...go to Seguine, Texas and visit the man himself, Billy Dawson. I'm sure he has one or two you can drive and make your own conclusion.

I planned on using a stock frame/chassis and doing a Jim Meyer or Art Morrison IFS with a 9 inch Ford etc...

Till I drove one of Billy Dawson's cars.... It blew me away and my whole plan changed.

My project stopped dead in its tracks completely until I could buy a Corvette Correction rolling chassis.

Is it similar to a Porsche...?? I couldn't say ...but guarantee it's nothing like driving a 55 year old Corvette!

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 09-27-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2014, 12:27 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I agree with Stan. Go to Billy's shop and drive one of his cars, you will place an order before you leave! He usually has 3-4 cars in the shop in progress, so you can get a good feel how it all goes together. He has been building that chassis so long, that he has it down to a cold, seely-eyed, science!

Billy builds a great product, that handles and drives like a C4, only better.
To top it off, Billy is one of the most helpful and most honest guys on the planet. You will never regret doing business with him.

One of the good guys!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 09-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I agree with Stan and John. I was in the same boat then I drove a 58 with Billy's frame. I place my order the next day.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:15 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

increase the castor, this will provide feedback, or steering self centering action.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:16 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Just rode in a 61 done with CC frame and c4. Rides very well and he is pleased with the car.

Tyler
Old 09-21-2015, 09:23 PM
bfish
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Correction, We drove and I bought one!

When you see it, drive it, then add how much knowledge Billy has to offer and is so willing to help you. I bought one before I left his shop. I read about him being a nice guy, but words cannot describe how helpful and kind this man is. I'm looking forward to the day, I get to see my frame and spend a few more minutes learning from Billy.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:08 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by billyhi
I'm shopping for a 56-57 project car for a resto-mod. I'm leaning toward the Corvette Correction frame with c4 front suspension. Unfortunately, I started getting cold feet on my plans when I read this article about the Concept57 build which says,
Interesting statement, but you don't know the qualifications of the driver making it. Maybe he wasn't going fast enough.

There's nothing wrong with the feedback in a C4 rack & pinion. Feels like any other power assisted rack.

I've been a driving instructor for 18 years and use my C4 to give students track rides to show them what they need to work on. I usually upset the other C5 &6 drivers on the track.

The c4 stuff works just fine. Is it equal to the C6 stuff - No. But the C6 stuff isn't equal to the c7 either.

The guys above are right, if you're putting that kind on money in a chassis, go drive one first.

Get notified of new replies

To Handling on C1 with C4 Suspension?

Quick Reply: Handling on C1 with C4 Suspension?