C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Opinions on these C1/C2 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:26 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Nice cars!!

If you load the information you supplied into the corvette DNA app, it says you over paid the market value for the 57 although it doesn’t let you put NOM in and overpaid for the 65.

This is of course assumes the app is correct and the info I used, based on your list, was done correctly.

If if you don’t have the app, it’s worth getting and playing with.

Ed

Last edited by emdoller; 03-08-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:34 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by emdoller
Nice cars!!

If you load the information you supplied into the corvette DNA app, it says you over paid the market value for the 57 although it doesn’t let you put NOM in and overpaid for the 65.

This is of course assumes the app is correct and the info I used, based on your list, was done correctly.

Ed
Well, if I overpaid then that just furthers my point that Member richopp is wrong on his assessment of what it takes to buy a nice car in this market.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:24 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Well, if I overpaid then that just furthers my point that Member richopp is wrong on his assessment of what it takes to buy a nice car in this market.
OK. let's step back a minute. My point was that over the 2 years I looked, a LOT at Hemmings as they had the most listings, but also on a lot of other sites, what I found was pages and pages of C2 cars well into six figures. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of them each month, and 150 still are on there today. SO, while I clearly see you have great cars for great prices, if you look a this from a newbie POV who was looking to get a nice car, I was pretty surprised that it took me 150 cars to get below 6 figures ASKING. Now, not knowing the Corvette marketplace, this was a good reference, I thought, as there were so many cars listed by both dealers and individuals. According to the various "experts" the mid-year cars are in a bit of a slump right now, but I would guess that may not last.

Next, I severely limited my search due to my personal requirements--convertible with factory A/C. Already I was in the very low thousands for the C2 cars each year--my limitations were my own and if I could not have found one, I would have probably gone with the '91 560 SEC--not a bad car but not one I could work on--and half the PURCHASE price of a C2 even with 20K miles, but the durn hydraulic fluid is $600.00 a bottle, and that is just the beginning. Basically, I was told that if I did not have about $5K/year to spend on the car, not to buy it. Regular people can only do basic things on these cars--they need to go to a specialty shop and parts are rare and expensive.

As I told the person who sold me the C2, if the price had been higher, I would not have been able to complete the transaction, and I had to borrow the money from a friend as it was. I have been working with cars that hardly pass $25K in any typical form. To see so many 6-figure asking prices was a bit of shock even if they don't actually SELL for that much. I could not see offering an owner of a $125K car $80K for it, right?

I am VERY LUCKY. I bought what I needed--convertible with factory A/C--got a true "survivor," which I like as they are only original once, and I was able to swing the $$.

Your two cars are amazing, but "A"Body cars sell for MUCH LESS even in good condition. This is the last one I did and I was lucky to get $20K for it:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s853.photobucket.com/user/richopp/embed/1970%20Skylark/story"></iframe>

455 modified to run so fast I was scared to drive it. The album shows the whole car, which was totally redone by me and a friend or two. We worked on it as hard as Corvette people work on their cars and as hard as I will work on my C2. Doesn't mean anything if there are no buyers. Took me a year to sell this and I had to lower my price 25%. Sure, not a real popular car, but it had a TH400, P/B, P/S, A/C, Posi, etc.--in other words, a muscle car. Is it a "good" car? The buyer thought so and keeps sort of apologizing for beating me up on the price.

I was simply surprised that cars from the same era I was working with for 40+ years were so much more $$, and I guess I may have overstated my point, but now that I have one I could almost afford--it will be paid for in 3 years!--I can do what I wanted to do--drive it as often as possible every day if I need to go out.

Citizens need to learn that all cars are not shaped like jellybeans--there is beauty out there that needs to be seen and appreciated!

Cheers!

Richard
Old 03-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I agree with you, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and Buick dont get their just value. Chevelles are a different story. I understand your point that Corvettes can give you sticker shock.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:54 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by richopp
OK. let's step back a minute. My point was that over the 2 years I looked, a LOT at Hemmings as they had the most listings, but also on a lot of other sites, what I found was pages and pages of C2 cars well into six figures. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of them each month, and 150 still are on there today. SO, while I clearly see you have great cars for great prices, if you look a this from a newbie POV who was looking to get a nice car, I was pretty surprised that it took me 150 cars to get below 6 figures ASKING. Now, not knowing the Corvette marketplace, this was a good reference, I thought, as there were so many cars listed by both dealers and individuals. According to the various "experts" the mid-year cars are in a bit of a slump right now, but I would guess that may not last.

Next, I severely limited my search due to my personal requirements--convertible with factory A/C. Already I was in the very low thousands for the C2 cars each year--my limitations were my own and if I could not have found one, I would have probably gone with the '91 560 SEC--not a bad car but not one I could work on--and half the PURCHASE price of a C2 even with 20K miles, but the durn hydraulic fluid is $600.00 a bottle, and that is just the beginning. Basically, I was told that if I did not have about $5K/year to spend on the car, not to buy it. Regular people can only do basic things on these cars--they need to go to a specialty shop and parts are rare and expensive.

As I told the person who sold me the C2, if the price had been higher, I would not have been able to complete the transaction, and I had to borrow the money from a friend as it was. I have been working with cars that hardly pass $25K in any typical form. To see so many 6-figure asking prices was a bit of shock even if they don't actually SELL for that much. I could not see offering an owner of a $125K car $80K for it, right?

I am VERY LUCKY. I bought what I needed--convertible with factory A/C--got a true "survivor," which I like as they are only original once, and I was able to swing the $$.

Your two cars are amazing, but "A"Body cars sell for MUCH LESS even in good condition. This is the last one I did and I was lucky to get $20K for it:

455 modified to run so fast I was scared to drive it. The album shows the whole car, which was totally redone by me and a friend or two. We worked on it as hard as Corvette people work on their cars and as hard as I will work on my C2. Doesn't mean anything if there are no buyers. Took me a year to sell this and I had to lower my price 25%. Sure, not a real popular car, but it had a TH400, P/B, P/S, A/C, Posi, etc.--in other words, a muscle car. Is it a "good" car? The buyer thought so and keeps sort of apologizing for beating me up on the price.

I was simply surprised that cars from the same era I was working with for 40+ years were so much more $$, and I guess I may have overstated my point, but now that I have one I could almost afford--it will be paid for in 3 years!--I can do what I wanted to do--drive it as often as possible every day if I need to go out.

Citizens need to learn that all cars are not shaped like jellybeans--there is beauty out there that needs to be seen and appreciated!

Cheers!

Richard
Those cars listed for those high prices are likely STILL for sale. You can ASK what ever you want but getting it is another story. Dealers put a big price on their car anticipating taking trades as this is big part of their business and why many choose to buy from them as the buyer may not be able to buy until they sell or trade what they currently own. Private sellers that try to get every penny out of what they have in their cars MAY not HAVE to sell and will sit on them until they either decide to keep it or get realistic about the market place. Sometimes they find a sucker that is not educated to the true market and are lucky to get their overpriced sale.

My point and examples are just real world purchases. BTW, I bought my 65 right here in the forum classifieds.

Last edited by 68hemi; 03-08-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:29 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Those cars listed for those high prices are likely STILL for sale. You can ASK what ever you want but getting it is another story. Dealers put a big price on their car anticipating taking trades as this is big part of their business and why many choose to buy from them as the buyer may not be able to buy until they sell or trade what they currently own. Private sellers that try to get every penny out of what they have in their cars MAY not HAVE to sell and will sit on them until they either decide to keep it or get realistic about the market place. Sometimes they find a sucker that is not educated to the true market and are lucky to get their overpriced sale.

My point and examples are just real world purchases. BTW, I bought my 65 right here in the forum classifieds.
I hear you loud and clear. I agree that many of those cars may not actually be for sale unless the big money is offered, but since I did not have anything close to that, I had to pass. Your cars were clearly bought right and fairly, I assume, or the transaction would have failed. I, too, was able to get a car in my price range, which was MUCH lower than even yours, by the way, and I consider myself the luckiest C2 buyer around, believe me!

Regarding dealers, they at least offer a snapshot into the brand, which was what I wanted from them. I get the trade-in stuff, etc., but there were some that, after I had looked at many, many ads, I was puzzled by their asking prices. Like someone on the board told me in a post not long ago about auctions--if you are not there or don't have an NCRS judge to survey the car, stay away! I felt the same about any of these cars. I am dumber than dumb about them right now, but hope that will not last long once I am elbow-deep in the project!

Cheers!
Old 03-08-2019, 06:36 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
I agree with you, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and Buick dont get their just value. Chevelles are a different story. I understand your point that Corvettes can give you sticker shock.
If you don't need a back seat buy an El Camino they are the DEAL in the Chevelle venue AND you can haul stuff!!!
Old 03-08-2019, 06:51 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
And all of us know that, believe me! LS6 cars (12.6/107) usually bring all the money, but there seem to be more of them around than they actually built--that's another story. Some rare '70 GSX cars are starting to bring the big money--six figures or close--but the average one is in the 20-60K range for the most part.

I loved those cars--they were comfortable and ran like scalded rabbits--at least the 455 GS cars did--and you could throw on the A/C and cruise to an event in your best clothes (ladies, listening?) with no issues. Many resto-mods now--they put great suspensions on them and so forth--and they are even better, but I had no issues with the many Buicks I did.

By the way, if you ever get a chance to drive an '86 or '87 Grand National or T-Type, DO IT! Scare the pants off you the first time you hit it...at least it did to me on I-95. 45>75 in about 2 seconds...yikes! Not a '67 big block--lighter car by 1000 lbs--of course, but still pretty fast--12.7 and 113 for the GNX stock; '67 big block was a tiny bit slower (13.8/104 Motor Trend), but a lot more fun and loud to drive, I am sure!

Now Mustangs...don't even get me started. My '65 was the biggest pile of, well, you get it. I had a '63 Falcon in college, which the Mustang was based on, that was a MUCH better car!

Cheers!
Old 03-09-2019, 06:44 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...836856000.html

Old 03-09-2019, 06:50 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl...834937435.html

Old 03-09-2019, 08:21 AM
EnfieldJoe
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

If you don't need a back seat buy an El Camino they are the DEAL in the Chevelle venue AND you can haul stuff!!!
Exactly true, I just bought a 1970 Chevy El Camino....one owner Central FL car in good condition (never restored). Original dealer invoice, protect-o-plate, 6 cylinder/glide, PS. Not an SS, but not crazy $$.
The following users liked this post:
Bowtyeguy (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 AM
gjhinc
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by emdoller
Nice cars!!

Ed
Thanks for pointing out the DNA app. I just gave it a spin with the '67 327/350 convertible I bought last August. Had to do a bit of interpolation on condition/milage... but the numbers seem to come out right for me. Some of you guys seem to be anti-third-party sales. I did okay with Accelerate Auto Group. Odd, but, turned out okay. Googled and found AAG website where the car was listed for $64k. Then I found the same car on ebay for $56k. I paid $55k. Asked Justin (owner AAG) about the price diff. He said he used a best guess price for the car on the website and then used ebay to find the right price. Glad I found ebay price.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:01 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 356 Likes on 222 Posts

This one had me second guessing my wish list. Nice car. If I were looking for a convertible this one would be on my radar screen for sure.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:28 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by CADbrian
This one had me second guessing my wish list. Nice car. If I were looking for a convertible this one would be on my radar screen for sure.
Very rare and pretty color of silver green. I had a 66 BB coupe in this color. You don’t see this color often.

Last edited by 68hemi; 03-09-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:08 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

I liked that shade also, looks better on a Corvette than my truck !

Old 03-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

I have it on my 66

Last edited by Bowtyeguy; 03-09-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:36 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto...837326983.html

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on these C1/C2 for sale

Old 03-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto...837263658.html

Old 03-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

https://greenville.craigslist.org/ct...837824199.html

Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 AM
Rumblegutz
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...837742201.html

Last edited by Rumblegutz; 03-10-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on these C1/C2 for sale