C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

question on repaint 64 vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:16 AM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question on repaint 64 vette

I have had my vette for 4 years now and it's time for a repaint. It had a repaint about 12 years ago and it was changed to silver/blue but the code for the original paint is 940A which is satin silver. My question is how much more money is the car worth if I change it back to the original color. I also plan on using epoxy primer before final coats. You guys have been my first choice when I have been putting it back together and I value everyone's opinion. My vette is all original except for a 350 block but I have a date correct block I am rebuilding. thanks for your input.

Last edited by mspry; 11-02-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:20 AM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default subscribe

like to see responces

Originally Posted by mspry
I have had my vette for 4 years now and it's time for a repaint. It had a repaint about 12 years ago and it was changed to silver/blue but the code for the original paint is 940A which is satin silver. My question is how much more money is the car worth if I change it back to the original color. I also plan on using epoxy primer before final coats. You guys have been my first choice when I have been putting it back together and I value everyone's opinion. My vette is all original except for a 350 block but I have a date correct block I am rebuilding. thanks for your input.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:41 AM
mspry
Pro

Originally Posted by bluzrocker
like to see responces
yes please give me your opinion.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

In your original post, you used the word "value". By all means to a purist, a paint code that matches the paint is of more value. Since you have a repaint, it would require stripping, straightening the body irregularities and paint. You would then have other items to consider in this likely project creep (interior, engine compartment, wiring harnesses, re-chroming bumpers come to mind) Unless you can do much of this yourself, the costs would likely exceed the "value" to someone else. If you plan on keeping the car for some time, then there is a value to you. I am in the process of restoring my '64 and 90+% of it I am doing myself. I will be repainting the original color. My $.02 and hope it is of some value.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default 64 paint

$9,356 more.
Boyan
Old 11-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I don't think it will increase the value other than having new paint, no matter what color it is.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:20 PM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm far from being an expert on this, but I would imagine returning car to original color properly including some additional things such as chrome, soft parts, etc, could be around $10g. If car presently is worth in the 30-35 range as it sits now, You may be hard pressed to get 40-45 for an non original engine example. The original color paint will increase value though, as will a period correct block, but not as much as if engine and other parts were original. just my opinion.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:34 PM
mspry
Pro

Thanks guys. I am painting it myself and re-chroming the front and rear dumpers. paint cost will be around 1400.00 and materials and bumpers around a grand. the interior was done two years ago along with a new top. i know a lot of guys are going to say that's way to cheap but i will save a bundle on labor. I am looking at three weeks total. I removed the front and rear bumpers today and will also remove the windshield. if i break it another 250.00. I have spent three years getting the car running good. new front end suspension and rear. Still up in the air on color. I have black interior so the any color will work. thanks for the input! I will be taking pic's and will post the progress.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Default Repaint

Originally Posted by Boyan
$9,356 more.
Boyan
Sorry, typo on my part, I meant $3,956
Old 11-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Default Repaint

Cars with their original paint color hold their value more, in my opinion. I would stick with original. If its a metallic color, try to find a paint with a similar small size of metallic.
Boyan
Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 PM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks guys. I am painting it myself and re-chroming the front and rear dumpers. paint cost will be around 1400.00 and materials and bumpers around a grand. the interior was done two years ago along with a new top. i know a lot of guys are going to say that's way to cheap but i will save a bundle on labor. I am looking at three weeks total. I removed the front and rear bumpers today and will also remove the windshield. if i break it another 250.00. I have spent three years getting the car running good. new front end suspension and rear. Still up in the air on color. I have black interior so the any color will work. thanks for the input! I will be taking pic's and will post the progress.
Actually, if you are going to paint it one way or another, the original color can only be a plus! Do you plan to strip all the other layers of paint?
Old 11-02-2014, 06:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It all depends on the person buying the car and how you represent it when you sell it. Some people do not care what color it is and want the car...others want it as it came from the factory.

Some want to drive them and enjoy them...while others preserve them and just want to know they have an original....and it is ONLY original ONCE.

Like I tell my customers...it will all depend if this car is an investment and you plan on selling it and what MARKET you plan on trying to target. I tell them..."Make it your own and do not worry what anyone else thinks...because it is not your job to worry about what other people think". Either blaze your own trail or follow the trail already blazed. Simply as that.

DUB
Old 11-02-2014, 07:03 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

The 327 would be a big plus date correct would be even better ,original paint done correctly another big plus ,`` The 327 really is different that the 350 cubic engine .
I would say easy 10,000 improvement or more with all NCRS under hood. That's what buyers look for first
Old 11-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Have you ever heard of resale red?

They call it that for a reason!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:26 PM
mspry
Pro

yep I heard of resale red but it does take alot more work to repaint. I am leaning towards painting it the same color. less work and the women seem to love the color. Now all I have to do is install PB and PS and I have increased my selling market by double.
Verowing: I have some small cracks above the headlights and some surface cracking. I plan on repairing those areas and then spray the car with epoxy primer and it should do the trick.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I have some small cracks above the headlights and some surface cracking. I plan on repairing those areas and then spray the car with epoxy primer and it should do the trick.
Over the existing paint?
Old 11-03-2014, 05:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Over the existing paint?
This can cause for issues in the future. If paint is going to be left on ...sometimes just epoxying it may work for a little while...but in time or if it gets hot...may shrink and show where you stopped removing the paint in order to do the repairs....and this shrinkage may be more visible in a dark color versus a light color....but a good trained eye will pick it up in a second....which is also directly related to the primer/paint/clear film thickness and layers you had to remove to do your repairs.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To question on repaint 64 vette

Old 11-03-2014, 05:32 PM
mspry
Pro

So JohnZ and Dub you are suggesting to sand to the gelcoat? I plan on doing a driver quality paint job and not a show car paint but I want it to last. Any suggestions will be great. first time painting a fiberglass car. going with the same color silver/blue.

Last edited by mspry; 11-03-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:24 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

For what its worth......when I was looking to buy a C2, I wouldn't even consider looking at a car that had a color change. I think you will regret not putting it back to it's original color......especially with the great color combo of satin silver with black interior. Silver gray is the #1 exterior color choice for cars today.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

So JohnZ and Dub you are suggesting to sand to the gelcoat? .
Unless it was used by the previous painter, there is no gel coat.

Quick Reply: question on repaint 64 vette