C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Straight Axle 1959, Rebound Straps

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Hulou
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Straight Axle 1959, Rebound Straps

Hello,

Pardon my question, But I'm very new to the Straight Axel world.
What in the world are the rebound straps I have on my 59 for??? What do they really do or were designed to do??

I think mine are a somewhat strecthed? While the car is in the garage My strapes hange down below the axle about 1-2 inches?

What up could someone, help me out? Do they really work? and are my straps too long/streached?

Thanks much
HS
Virginia
Old 11-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sounds like:

a) Your lucky to still have them - many have rotted away or been removed, and,
b) Sounds like yours are perfectly normal and hanging correctly.

Here's my original '61...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-04-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:49 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Here's my '57.
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2014, 03:49 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

John,
Nice Traction Masters, I have a set for my 57 Gasser.

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Here's my '57.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Hulou
Instructor

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Sounds like:

Thank You for your Picture. That's exactly how mine look! So I guess mine are OK??

Hugh
Virginia
Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Hulou
Instructor

Default HI FRankie

Sounds like:

Hi Frnkie,
Thanks! Hey what tires are you running on your Corvettes. Look Good at are they 670X15 Bias Tires? If so how do they run???

Thanks,
Hugh
Old 11-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Hulou
Hi Frnkie,
Thanks! Hey what tires are you running on your Corvettes. Look Good at are they 670X15 Bias Tires? If so how do they run???

Thanks,
Hugh
Diamondback wide whitewall radials and they ride great. I have to be careful because I was accused of shamelessly posting off-topic bios of my cars in another thread. Lots of testy folks on here anymore. Getting ridiculous.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by frankie the fink
------------------------------------------- i have to be careful because i was accused of shamelessly posting off-topic bios of my cars in another thread. Lots of testy folks on here anymore. Getting ridiculous.
Amen!
Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Hulou
Instructor

Diamondback wide whitBut lewall radials and they ride great. I have to be careful because I was accused of shamelessly posting off-topic bios of my cars in another thread. Lots of testy folks on here anymore. Getting ridiculous.
What?? Thanks your tire din't appear to be like radials? They look good.

HS
Old 11-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

What?? Thanks your tire din't appear to be like radials? They look good.

HS
The '61 had bias ply original wide whitewall tires on it when I got it....rode and drove pretty lousy...good for nothing but getting judged....
Old 11-05-2014, 11:13 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

As to what their purpose is, They were installed to prevent u-joint bind when the suspension unloaded over bumps. The C1 driveshaft angle is pretty marginal even at normal driving height. When the axle drops down, the u-joint angle increases enough that without the straps to limit drop, you could damage a u-joint. The driveshaft also runs very close to the X member, and a big drop in the rear suspension, can cause the front yoke on the driveshaft to hit the frame.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Hulou
Instructor

Hi John,

Oh, Thank You!! The angle matter is not good, when did Corvette corrcet that situation?? During the early C-2 production?

Thanks,
Hugh

Originally Posted by John McGraw
As to what their purpose is, They were installed to prevent u-joint bind when the suspension unloaded over bumps. The C1 driveshaft angle is pretty marginal even at normal driving height. When the axle drops down, the u-joint angle increases enough that without the straps to limit drop, you could damage a u-joint. The driveshaft also runs very close to the X member, and a big drop in the rear suspension, can cause the front yoke on the driveshaft to hit the frame.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-05-2014, 12:40 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Hi John,

Oh, Thank You!! The angle matter is not good, when did Corvette corrcet that situation?? During the early C-2 production?

Thanks,
Hugh
Yep, C2 cars used IRS, so the rear end did not move up and down as the suspension loaded and unloaded, so the driveshaft angle stayed the same. That being said, C2 cars can have the same issue with the halfshaft u-joints.

When the car is raised off the ground, the halfshaft u-joints can bind. Sometimes just pushing a C2 bare chassis around the shop can be a real pain because of joint bind. This issue was really not completely resolved until the 1997 model came out with CV joints on the halfshafts. 1984-1996 C4 models still used u-joints, but they limited the travel better to prevent bind.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-05-2014, 01:07 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Yep, C2 cars used IRS, so the rear end did not move up and down as the suspension loaded and unloaded, so the driveshaft angle stayed the same. That being said, C2 cars can have the same issue with the halfshaft u-joints.

When the car is raised off the ground, the halfshaft u-joints can bind. Sometimes just pushing a C2 bare chassis around the shop can be a real pain because of joint bind. This issue was really not completely resolved until the 1997 model came out with CV joints on the halfshafts. 1984-1996 C4 models still used u-joints, but they limited the travel better to prevent bind.

Regards, John McGraw
John
just a thought... could CV joints be added to C2 halfshafts?

or...C1 driveshafts? (The rear joint is probably the only one that could be replaced without hitting something....)
Bill
Old 11-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Carrol Shelby also put those on his early Mustang conversions. Supposedly because the Koni shocks could do a dramatic disassembly if over-stressed. I always wondered why those early cars weren't called "solid axle" Mustangs...like we do Corvettes.

You would have to drive your C1 near its safety limits to have them engage. What you have will be fine!

If you have grease fittings in your U-joints they could well be original....check them out carefully.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-05-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:40 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wmf62
John
just a thought... could CV joints be added to C2 halfshafts?

or...C1 driveshafts? (The rear joint is probably the only one that could be replaced without hitting something....)
Bill
Nope CV joints can not be used on any halfshaft before C5. The halfshaft on all C2-C4 cars, also served as the upper control arm for the rear suspension. I am not sure that any CV joint could take that kind of lateral loading. CV axles are designed with a plunge joint on one end to allow lateral movement.

Replacing just the rear joint on a C1 driveshaft with a CV joint would also be a big no-no as well, I would think. When a U-joint is at any angle rather than 0, it changes speed as it goes through a rotation. It requires a U-joint at the opposite end of the shaft running at an opposite angle to match the acceleration and deceleration of the front joint, to assure smooth, vibration free operation. Putting a CV joint on one end of the shaft would have that end running at a constant speed, while the other end of the same shaft would be accelerating and decelerating twice on every rotation. Would not make for smooth operation of the shaft, and would induce substantial torsional stresses to the driveshaft. I would think that it would the same as what happens when you have a rear U-joint running at 0 degrees, while the front joint is running at 3 degrees. It makes for a car that will shake your teeth out at speed!

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To Straight Axle 1959, Rebound Straps

Quick Reply: Straight Axle 1959, Rebound Straps