C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage Air Wiring and trinary switch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 01:50 PM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vintage Air Wiring and trinary switch wiring

I have studied the thread on the VA purple wire hook up. It appears that I can hook the purple wire to existing heater brown wire. If agreed should I splice in a additional 10 amp fuse. photo 1
I have installed a trinary switch that also needs switched power and 10 amp fuse. Can I splice this blue/whit wire with a 10 amp inline fuse to the ACC side if the starter switch plug? Photo 2
My understanding of wiring is very limited.
Attached Images   
Old 11-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There is no 'purple wire' fuse called for in the VA instructions that I have - and I didn't use one. I suspect that wire might just be a relay signal wire; I don't know why any 'switched' power wire wouldn't work. Why not call VA tech support and find out ???
I called them twice and they were very knowledgeable and courteous.

The main power wire (red wire) should go to the horn relay (not directly to the battery as shown in the instructions). There is a long discussion about this on the Mad Electric web site I won't repeat here. Using this location allows your voltage regulator to properly sense and adjust alternator output, and, your ammeter dash gauge to read correctly.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-16-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:51 AM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There is no 'purple wire' fuse called for in the VA instructions that I have - and I didn't use one. I suspect that wire might just be a relay signal wire; I don't know why any 'switched' power wire wouldn't work. Why not call VA tech support and find out ???

The main power wire (red wire) should go to the horn relay (not directly to the battery as shown in the instructions). There is a long discussion about this on the Mad Electric web site I won't repeat here. Using this location allows your voltage regulator to properly sense and adjust alternator output, and, your ammeter dash gauge to read correctly.
Thank you Frankie, I will give VA a call in the morning. I also upgraded my Alt. to a 63 AMP, replace fan with 18" 7 blade, replaced fan clutch with Hayden 2747, new Dewitt rad., VA pusher fan and all new wiring harnesses.
Al
Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Makes sense to have the voltage regulator in the circuit. Would the change to wiring void the Vintage Air warranty?
Old 11-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65Bob-bo
Makes sense to have the voltage regulator in the circuit. Would the change to wiring void the Vintage Air warranty?
Why would it ?

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air Wiring and trinary switch wiring

Quick Reply: Vintage Air Wiring and trinary switch wiring