C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sun n Fun Video of the facility I took today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Rich and Tyler, sorry you guys couldn't make it over to Antico's last night. We had about 24+ people from SACC and LCC enjoying some great food and quite a few buckets of Yuengling and wine. See you today!
Thanks for the great pics and videos. This place is going to be light years ahead of Old Town.
Few bands of light rain coming through on radar right now, but it should clear up soon and be a great day.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Just curious, As part of the PV, do they let the cars warm up to see if they kick down off fast idle? I heard an engine running for a long time in that last video.

Verne
Old 01-24-2015, 12:34 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

One of the best shows that I've attended in a long time.

The change from Kissimmee was huge. I'm getting ready for next year already.

Richard Newton
Historic Race Car Images
Old 01-24-2015, 01:54 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist
Default A side benefit of Lakeland show.

Cool airplanes:
Name:  NCRS FL, CARBS +++++ 123.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  NCRS FL, CARBS +++++ 133.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  NCRS FL, CARBS +++++ 128.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  NCRS FL, CARBS +++++ 125.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  NCRS FL, CARBS +++++ 129.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  51.1 KB
Old 01-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
Just curious, As part of the PV, do they let the cars warm up to see if they kick down off fast idle? I heard an engine running for a long time in that last video.

Verne
The cars start cold and have to demonstrate all the warm up functions.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:58 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Thank you, Thank you. Visited by phone with many friends and now I see what I missed.. Fighting the flu bug......airplanes and I don't do well. One of these years, I should drive a Motorhome back.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgessner
Thank you, Thank you. Visited by phone with many friends and now I see what I missed.. Fighting the flu bug......airplanes and I don't do well. One of these years, I should drive a Motorhome back.
Jim, Next year please come if you can, and please pick up John Hinckley on the way.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

It was a great event in a great new venue.

It's a VAST improvement over Old Town.

We arrived Wed. afternoon and left Sat. afternoon. The only thing that spoiled a near perfect event was rain, which came in late Friday night, and continued till 9:30 AM Saturday morning. Then the rain stopped and things dried up.

We stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott on Harden Blvd. There were numerous "chain" restaurants nearby .... ones that we could walk to. It was a nice, convenient location, about a 5 minute drive to the venue.

I'll get on my soapbox for a brief statement...

As a rule, "old folks", myself included, do not like change. Prior to the event, there was a lot of grumbling about the move to Sun N Fun.

Everyone was comfortable with Old Town, but you have to admit it was small, and had become very tacky and run down.

This new venue at Sun N Fun is spectacular. It's HUGE, and it will be a great venue for the event for years to come.

Chuck
Old 01-25-2015, 07:23 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This location was a huge improvement over Old Town. This show can now grow.

Richard Newton
Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

A few more food vendors would have been a nice change up. If you didn't want the hot dog/burger stuff it was get in your car and drive time.

Also wonder why the lack of cars in the car corral -- very thin.

Other than that, I think it was a very nice setup.

I bet security was much easier to handle too. Haven't about any issues so far; unlike Old Town where it was always a problem...
Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
A few more food vendors would have been a nice change up. If you didn't want the hot dog/burger stuff it was get in your car and drive time.

Also wonder why the lack of cars in the car corral -- very thin.

Other than that, I think it was a very nice setup.

I bet security was much easier to handle too. Haven't about any issues so far; unlike Old Town where it was always a problem...
It's possible that the Mecum Auction affected the Car Corral. Not sure about that one.

They do need more food vendors, selling more varieties of food.

They also need more bathrooms and those bathrooms should be placed in better locations throughout the venue.

But, these are "growing pain" issues that will be handled next year.

Chuck
Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
It's possible that the Mecum Auction affected the Car Corral. Not sure about that one.

They do need more food vendors, selling more varieties of food.

They also need more bathrooms and those bathrooms should be placed in better locations throughout the venue.

But, these are "growing pain" issues that will be handled next year.

Chuck
I had that same thought about Mecum - sorry I missed you this year Chuck. I wandered by your spot a few times but never actually saw you. I was hanging around the judged cars in the hanger most of the time.

Was gonna set up with Mike Coletta and Mark Napoli at their spot to sell some goodies but between the forum and some friends all my big stuff got sucked up before the Lakeland event...
Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I had that same thought about Mecum - sorry I missed you this year Chuck. I wandered by your spot a few times but never actually saw you. I was hanging around the judged cars in the hanger most of the time.

Was gonna set up with Mike Coletta and Mark Napoli at their spot to sell some goodies but between the forum and some friends all my big stuff got sucked up before the Lakeland event...
I saw Mark Napoli a few times during my travels.

If you left the judging hangar through the side door, and walked to the burger/hot dog place in the food building, you walked right past my spots.

I made it into the hangar a few times.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:33 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

I think it was a ideal place and much room to grow. Here are some still pics I took yesterday.

You're going to like the unbelievable live interview with a husband and wife related to John Gammel's '61 in one of the clips. It's uploading now with some others. Will post links later.

This was the General Spectator parking area. I think it was about 6 rows deep, maybe more.

This is the Saturday "Corvette Only" area, and to the right the Registered Only and Vendor parking area overflow area.

BTW, Tyler was up at 3:30 AM Saturday morning painting the parking lot white lines in this field, in the rain and the wind, to prepare all of the parking attendants(Corvette volunteers & SNF volunteers) where to put the cars. I got there at 6:30. Tyler was already exhausted.

This guy is unreal. To see this guy at work to put this thing together, and to keep it on track is amazing. IMO his dedication is unmatched.

Next year, we all have to help in some way to help Tyler. He needs lots of help to pull this thing off next year because based on this turnout, next year may likely grow substantially.

There's talk of possibly some other functions as part of the event. Maybe a Autocross/Gymkhana. And after speaking to some of the vendors yesterday, they'd like to see some other Car Show or event on Sunday, to carry on with more fun and swap meet time. Maybe have some kiddie rides and some more family oriented things too. We spoke a little about a possible small scale Fly-In for Antique & Classic airplanes etc.

How about a Non-Corvette Classic Car parking area? When I was directing traffic out front at the Main entrance, several Hot-Rods and Classic Mopars came in. I think it'd be nice to have a special lot for those folks. Plus my wife could take her Jag E-Type next year too with our new English Cocker Spaniel in the back seat.

There are so many things that we can do at SNF because there's so much room for expansion.

Last edited by rich5962; 01-25-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I guess by now Rich you know that you've screwed up.

As you are now the official Florida NCRS Regional "videographer"...
(In addition to your many other skills!)
Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

Looks like a great set up. I will put it on my list of things do attend next year! Thanks for posting the photos and vids.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Rich did a super job

He volunteered to help out and worked full time from Wednesday through Saturday. When I came in Saturday morning (in the rain) I thought I was coming into Jiffy Lube-Rich was jumping up and pulling the vehicles in to their respective areas-
Monte Hagerman of SACC did a outstanding job in plotting the site layout and spent the whole week out there, and a bunch of SACC people helped out as well.
Willie Strelnik and Doug White of Lakeland Corvette Club (LCC) brought a whole bunch of people who spent numerous days out there.
Jim Morris of Cypress Gardens Corvette Club also brought many volunteers.
The NCRS crowd was out in force helping make everything happen. Good Bill (Bill Herron/Sebring Bill) again made the judging happen despite a disastrous start of the trip with his 57. Skip handled the security which is a 24/7 operation.
Tyler Townsley was more than glad to finally go home last night after an outstanding effort.
Classic Corvettes of Orlando people ran a great show Saturday as well as helping out in general.
There are plenty more people who spent dozens of hours out there helping out with the 90% of pleasant visitors, participants and vendors. For the other 10% who like to give the volunteers a hard time, please find a F*(D or MOPar show and go to that instead.

Last edited by toms silver 60; 01-25-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sun n Fun Video of the facility I took today...

Old 01-25-2015, 09:22 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

I guess by now Rich you know that you've screwed up.

As you are now the official Florida NCRS Regional "videographer"...
(In addition to your many other skills!)
Nah...just a rookie with a little cheapie Nikon Coolpix....actually my wife's camera.

----
Tom, I had a great time, and it was great to meet up and hang out with you. Sorry that your back-pains held you from all of the fun. Best wishes for a speedy recovery when it all happens in a few weeks.

You're right, everyone did so much. It's great fun with great people.

And yes, there were a few "non-conforming" humans out there that I ran across too. Oh, well, all kinds.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Bucsnbears
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...50129582?tc=cr
Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by rich5962
Friday Judging day......

A walk through like you were there. Had a little camera issue and made a separate part 2 which will be uploaded later. I couldn't get everything uploaded last night. Tyler invited me to a little BDay party for his lovely daughter. I managed to get lost going to the WRONG Olive Garden, but finally arrived. Great time with new friends for me.

Tyler and the crew are to be commended for their hard work. You cannot imagine what it takes to pull-off this type of event. Just volunteering for a few hours of traffic duty is absolutely nothing in comparison to what these folks do.

Thanks Tyler and the entire staff.

http://youtu.be/Q-4M9mhezRM

Rich
....heading over for traffic control this second. Rains came in last night as predicted, but is clearing now as I write this.

I'm betting the day is going to turn out good.
OUTSTANDING RICH. I WAS THERE thanks to you.

Quick Reply: Sun n Fun Video of the facility I took today...